Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Bought mine May 22 and I just got the refund. Thanks Amazon!
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Nothing can truly be called the "Kindle Killer" until the Kindle is actually dead...
or at least bleeding from the mouth and rectum and looking otherwise terminal.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Seems like the price was inflated from the beginning, if Amazon could take off $70 in a flash..

And I thought Amazon was customer oriented. May be they are, but they will also overcharge you when they can...
The price of the Kindle might have been being used to help subsidize the $9.99 bestsellers they were taking a loss on before the Agency 5 took the control of pricing a lot of those books out of Amazon's hands. For all I know they're making little or nothing on the K2 now and hoping that ebook sales will make up for it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
i bought mine 6 month ago, but with (any) tech the drop in price is inevitable, it's all a question of how long your willing to wait!
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
Yeti
Yeti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRick View Post
Can you say Kobo? Wired called it -- at $149 -- the real Kindle Killer. Given the Kindle's advantages technologically (chiefly, free on-board wireless), I'd say the $189 is priced very well.
Very well priced indeed, and I'd say at this price the Kindle will be a Kobo-killer.

Yeti.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
RevRick
unreconstructed cynic
RevRick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, PC
Yes, but now there are rumors of a $99 Kobo. It's going to get very interesting in the eBook world.
RevRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #22
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
You got lucky. Current Amazon policy is if your item has already shipped they won't give you a discount if the price drops later. If you email cs about a price adjustment, they'll send you a reply that looks something like "the price you payed was the cheapest we could offer at the time... sorry". Even if you try to argue "I can still return and re-buy it" they'll reply "ok, fill out the return form". You may get lucky and get a cs rep that will price adjust for you, but the last few times I've tried I was shot down every time. And if you return an item because of a price adjustment you have to pay for your own shipping (not a big deal since the price difference is $70 here, but it's kept me from returning when the price difference was a few bucks).
now they're giving me grief because I got a refurb. They said they'd need supervisor approval since I didn't buy the brand new one. If I had gotten a brand new one they would have processed it on the spot. I think I got a foreign call center, I will call back in the morning and see what happens. So far NOT happy.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #23
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

I bought both my K1 and K2 at the original full price (wasn't it like $349?), and my mom's K2 for $299. I've never had buyer's remorse, and I'm quite happy to see the prices continue to fall, as that means more people can afford and appreciate the eReaders. If you were content to buy it at the price you paid for it, then why would a price drop affect how you feel about it?

When I first purchased my K1, I thought it was a rather frivolous buy. But a month later when I realized I was reading about 10x more than normal, I felt entirely justified in the purchase. I wasn't saving any money (I was spending more, in fact), but reading just makes me feel good (it does for the mind what daily exercise does for the body (or so people who exercise tell me)) and to have a device which took away most of the excuses I had for not reading more was well worth the money to me.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #24
steepnd
steepnd began at the beginning.

Device: k2us
in case some of you are now considering the kindle due to the price drop, the k2us refurbished from Amazon.com is $139.99 with the same 1-year warranty and 30-day return period. I just bought one and should receive it tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
steepnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
kronpas
kronpas began at the beginning.

My friend bought me my Kindle Int from US with her Amazon Account. She told me the refund is credited into your A.account, not returned directly into you credit card you used to buy the Kindle. Can anyone confimr/deny it for me? Thx.
kronpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nothing can truly be called the "Kindle Killer" until the Kindle is actually dead...
or at least bleeding from the mouth and rectum and looking otherwise terminal.
Heh.

Me, I'm sick of reading about XXXX-killers of all stripes. It's a tired meme which itself should be killed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #27
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I always thought a Kindle killer is a small, angry, ipad shaped transformer (with TTS) that kicks butts of Kindle owners and rips apart their Kindles.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote