Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
bambi
Enthusiast
bambi began at the beginning.

Device: HX4700 Je100 EkenM003 WPDN NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyq662 View Post
I just got the Eken, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the firmware on the Eken or get books to show up in the eReader!! Please help if anyone still looks at this thread! I dowloaded the firmware to my computer that was listed ^ but I can't find out how to get it to work!! I really just want it to do what I bought it to do: Be able to read eBooks in the dark!!
Welcome!
I think you will get lots of helping hands here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/
Enjoy!
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Don't shoot me, but I already jumped ship.
Had my Eken for ten days and sold it... for more than what I paid!

Though the Eken has it's many faults, part of my decision to sell is I discovered I'm not a big fan of Android. I turned around and bought a much, much better Windows CE device for less than I sold the Eken for. I feel there's currently a lot of hype in support of Android as a "better alternative to iPhone OS"... but the present reality is it's really not delivering on an improved means to interact with your device.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Can anybody tell us how this performs as a reader? It doesn't look too good as a tablet PC but I would probably buy it for the sole purpose of reading ebooks.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #19
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I think it reads books just fine, but the main problem is the battery life is not good, better with wifi off, but still not good. If you don't mind charging it a lot, I've seen these selling on eBay for as low as $49 (without shipping). You might want to look into the aPad iRobot which has better performance and a better battery. It is slightly more expensive but I've seen them go as low as $130 on eBay. The aPad is a dual core processor with I believe a 3000mAH battery? Don't hold me on that though, going from memory.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #20
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

But... even the apad irobot seems to be delivering many problems. Just like the Eken, quality control seems to be low.
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I agree. I've heard a lot of things about these cheap new Android tablets. The only two I've seriously looked at are the Pandigital Novel and the Archos 7 Home Tablet. Honestly, I'm interested in that X10 MID right now, or even the next generation of A81.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
FarWest
FarWest began at the beginning.

Device: None
I'm checking the mailbox each day for my aPad. I went with it over the Eken due to the battery life. Ordered 5/14, so we'll see. I'll post more when it arrives.
FarWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #23
chercorm
chercorm began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Help...Trying to download Apps to 7 inch android tablet....

I have been scouring the internet looking for assistance as I just recived a 7 inch tablet running android 1.6 from China. I decided to buy this item as I am in a phone contract so I wouldn't be able to purchase a new phone for awhile.

I am moderately computer literate,so, I viewed some videos on UTube and I have somewhat mastered to OS.....except for downloading apps!

I read the posts in this thread, but, I was wondering if someone could give me some simplified instructions of what I need to download in order to be able to download apps from Android Market. The posts were great, at least, I don't feel like I'm on a desert island with this device. But, I did have some trouble following exactly what I needed to do to be able to download some apps to the device.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to give me....
chercorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
jyl
Enthusiast
jyl began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK, JE200
is eken M003 better than M001 or are they exactly the same other than the design? and can you update the firmware of M003 too?
jyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #25
rokr
rokr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Waiting for mine...

There's a 1.7.2 firmware update, check here:

http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=24.0
rokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chercorm View Post

I read the posts in this thread, but, I was wondering if someone could give me some simplified instructions of what I need to download in order to be able to download apps from Android Market. The posts were great, at least, I don't feel like I'm on a desert island with this device. But, I did have some trouble following exactly what I needed to do to be able to download some apps to the device.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able to give me....
I don't believe you can use the Android Marketplace. I know I couldn't use it on my M001 (now living in a drawer gathering dust) You might try Slideme
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
chercorm
chercorm began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Katelyn,

Thanks so much for the suggestion...
chercorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #28
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
my M001 (now living in a drawer gathering dust)
Katelyn... take that M001 out of the drawer and list it on Craigslist!! That's what I did.

Android is one hot item right now. Everyone seems to desire it, whether justified or not. (I personally am NOT a big fan of it). It's a fantastic time to sell your Eken!!

I waited weeks for my Eken to arrive, but once it did, the honeymoon ended. I followed the Slatedroid forum daily and updated the firmware, and all the mods being made. But I realized that no matter how many software updates are made, when it's all said and done, I still would have a very limited, cheap device that would never be able to deliver what I needed.

One week ago I listed it on my local Craigslist (for more than what I had paid). Never before have I received such a quick response and I sold it within an hour. If I had a dozen of them I could have sold all in a couple of days. Seems that people are all caught-up in the media hype about Android and they really aren't seeing the whole picture... if it has Android, it has to be good! (sure, right)

But another thing people aren't really aware of at this point in time... even though there's supposedly over 50,000 apps available for Android, there's really not very many good, quality apps available for a device such as the Eken. With the type of apps I desire, the one's which worked on the Eken gave me deja-vu that I had gone back 10 or 15 years in computer-land.

Again, I say sell. LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I'll try Craig's list. I sell on Ebay all the time but it looks like Ebay sellers can't give away the Eken there so I didn't even bother trying to sell it.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #30
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
I was looking to get one of these, as I primarily want to read pdf's (typically computer books, that have screenshots etc) and didn't want to get an ipad just yet.

But so far, it sounds like all of these droid devices are horrible in one way or another.

But really, for what I want would they actually be worse than say a libre or kobo ereader?
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, eken, m001, mid, tablet