Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Looking for advice...

First, let me say that I've pretty much ruled out the Kindle because I'm not interested in being locked into an Amazon product for the rest of my life and I don't plan on buying eBooks from Amazon anyway. I'm more interested in the various alternative press stores scattered across the internet. That said, here's what I'm looking for:

- supports PDF (reflow would be awesome; if there's no reflow, then a screen that can be viewed horizontally and vertically would be good--a wider screen would make it easier to read)
- supports the ePub format (most of my eBooks are in this format)
- has highlighting and annotating capabilities
- capable of sorting books into collections (a lot of my eBooks are actually converted fan fiction, so being able to seach the library by fandom is a must)
- text is resizable
- screen won't hurt my eyes
- minimal glare (I don't read outside much, but neither do I usually read with my lamp right next to me. Interpret as you will.)
- costs no more than $300USD
- decently sized screen (if I wanted to read off an iPhone I would get an iPhone)

So, guys, what suggestions do you have?
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm still looking for an ereader myself, so I'm probably not the best to give advice. However, my needs are very similar to yours and I'm leaning strongly towards a Pocketbook 360. Assuming you consider a 5" screen "decently sized", I think it fits all your stated criteria.
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Patarch21
Patarch21 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hi,

I have had a pocketbook 360 for a couple of months now. Initially I had a problem reading drm'd epub files, but that was down to my own fault.

Having looked at what you need in an ereader, I would highly recommend the pocketbook 360. Some people worry about the small size of the screen, but actually i think this is more convenient than a 6 inch screen as it takes less eye movement. The screen is excellent and I have never had any problem with reflections or glare on the screen. I use it both on the Metro and at home. I probably use it for between 2- 4 hours a day and i find that i get no eye strain from it at all.

As to your pdf requirements, i am a teacher who uses pdfs widely for teaching in classes. I find that the pocketbook 360 deals with pdfs generally very well, there is reflow and automatic change of aspect by rotating the device. The only warning i would give you is that pdf's that have a high degree of pictures and or colour do not work very well with ereaders. A good guide for this, is that if your pdfs come out resonably well on a photocopier, then they will display well on an ereader. However i believe this is a problem for all ereaders due to the e-ink screens.

I cannot recommend the Pocketbook 360 highly enough. One last point, the support has been excellent and the other thing is that the device is totally user changable. You can totally change all the menues and search in exactly the same way that you would search for files and folders on a computer.

You can also easily upgrade and place addons to it as much as you like.
Patarch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
eosrose
Enthusiast
eosrose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I hadn't even looked at the Pocketbook 360 before, so I thank you for pointing me in that direction. Mostly I'll be downloading PDFs from the professional journals I read, so I don't expect to be dealing with many graphics or poor quality scans, so this sounds like a really good option for me. I'm off to look at the specs and see if I can find a store nearby that will let me handle one!
eosrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given your requirements, I'd suggest the BeBook Neo as being the best match for you. The Pocketbook is very good too, but the Neo, with its touchscreen, is the clear winner in terms of PDF support and annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Hey, where's the PocketBook salesman ready to jump in and humbly suggest the 360? Falling down on the job, eh? Just kidding, he seems like a good guy.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
As I was reading your requirements, I was looking at my PB360 and it started to nod, so I guess it feels apt to the task
In fact, the Pocketbook salesmen do a minimal job, as we're quite a cult around here :P

More seriously, I think the PB360 is fitting for you, unless you place a high value on the highlighting-annotating (let's say the annotation function, while it is present, would be better suppressed). Additionally, to the best of my knowledge there is no brick and mortar shop with Pocketbooks, so you'll have to contact... yes, the Pocketbook dealers :P

In the specific Pocketbook forum there are some Pocketbook dealers whose websites you can visit.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
jules_july
The Green Reader!
jules_july doesn't litterjules_july doesn't litter

Device: The Green Reader Pocketbook
or that one

www.greenreader.co.uk

depending which country are you from
jules_july is offline   Reply With Quote