Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
cfrizz, why bother turning rtf into txt? Txt looks awful in readers, it's margins are unjustified and you lose the font formatting.

If you're unsure how to do this, give me a shout and I'll try to upload a Sony Word template to MR. Then you just paste the text in, put details in properties, and save as rtf.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Thanks to this thread I figured out how to turn my Word documents into books for transfer to my Sony reader! Thanks.

For those that need to know how, copy Word document into notepad & save. Upload to Sony reader it shows up as plain text.
... and you lose ALL the formatting, which is important in many books. Really, plain text should be your very last choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we cross-posted, Harry.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Oh I disagree. I have a number of books which I've formatted into rtf, and they're probably the nicest looking books I have on my reader. They are divided into chapters, but no, there are no hyperlinks, just page turns, which is all I want when reading. The size is only slightly more than txt, but they go onto an SD card, so this isn't a problem.
The best thing about my rtf books is the layout: no margins, perfect paragraphing, and any font size I choose.

Each to their own, I suppose.
But, with respect, using a tool like "Book Designer", you can convert your RTF file into a "real" LRF eBook which has a table of contents, etc, in two minutes flat. For me personally, that trifling effort is well worth undertaking.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #20
BookCat
C L J

But why bother, when I'm happy using Word and don't feel a burning need to have a table of contents?

From what I understand, Book Designer isn't free, and I don't need more programs.
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

BD is entirely free.

Don't get me wrong: I did exactly what you're doing for many years, and was happy with it. And if it's just something you're going to read once and then throw away, it's a very good approach.

The real shortcoming of RTF on the Sony Reader for me was the fact that it didn't handle illustrations. I'm a big fan of 19th century novels, many of which are beautifully illustrated, and I felt that the illustrations added so much to the "feel" of the book, that I wanted them in my eBooks. Hence my desire to wish to create the best-formatted eBooks that I could, complete with TOC, illustrations, a nice cover, and so on. You may have noticed that I've uploaded very many illustrated books here to MR.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But, with respect, using a tool like "Book Designer", you can convert your RTF file into a "real" LRF eBook which has a table of contents, etc, in two minutes flat. For me personally, that trifling effort is well worth undertaking.
How do you create a TOC if the chapter headings aren't formatted in some way that makes them stand out from the rest of the text so that BookDesigner can recognise what is chapter heading and what is 'ordinary text'? I.e. if chapter headings and text is all the same format.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Go through the book, highlight the chapter headings, and give them the "Title" style in BD. The TOC is then automatically generated from the titles.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi Harry,

Please give me a hint on how to solve my problem.

" ... The "book" I love most is a collection of meditations of Augustine. Daily. I can navigate it with the search function of the reader. While it would be nice to have a click-able Monthly Calendar ..."

I have it in html, upub(bed) with Calibre.

Thank you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Harry,

" ... The "book" I love most is a collection of meditations of Augustine. Daily. I can navigate it with the search function of the reader. While it would be nice to have a click-able Monthly Calendar ..."

Thank you.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Go through the book, highlight the chapter headings, and give them the "Title" style in BD. The TOC is then automatically generated from the titles.
As I thought Can you do that in two min. flat? I can't, espceially not if the chapters are not given obvious titles such as "Chapter 'n'"
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
As I thought Can you do that in two min. flat? I can't, espceially not if the chapters are not given obvious titles such as "Chapter 'n'"
But that is an example of poorly-formatted source material, and that's always going to take longer to deal with. If you have a "normal" book, where the chapters start with "Chapter X", then BD will do it automatically for you. The "exceptional" cases don't change the fact that, for the majority of cases, it really is a very, very quick and easy process.

The list of words that BD recognises as "titles" is configurable, so if you frequently find that you have items which should be recognised as titles, but aren't, you can add them to that list.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Hi Harry,

Thank you.
Do it with hyperlinks. BD has a very good hyperlink editor.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
cfrizz, why bother turning rtf into txt? Txt looks awful in readers, it's margins are unjustified and you lose the font formatting.

If you're unsure how to do this, give me a shout and I'll try to upload a Sony Word template to MR. Then you just paste the text in, put details in properties, and save as rtf.
Hi BookCat. Please do that, since I have no clue how to do these things. I was just happy to be able to get them into the reader!

Thanks.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #30
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do it with hyperlinks. BD has a very good hyperlink editor.
Thanks. I will try.