Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Worst (& Best) Book Translations

I thought of this one while looking around for a copy of the Brothers Karamazov. No matter what foreign text you see translated someone (typically a professor ) will whine about the quality of the translation.

As this is a very international forum I'm certainly not limiting this discussion to books translated into English. Any translated work is welcome. Whether it be from Russian to English, Japanese to French or even the Queen's English to us Yankee Doodlers.

-MJ

(One might note that in each of these posts I haven't given an opinion... That's basically because when I think of it my mind winds up going blank...)

Last edited by mjh215; 11-19-2008 at 11:51 AM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Robert Heinlein once wrote that he and Ginny learned Russian in order to read the Russian Classics in the origian language, thinking that he could get a feel for why they were considered "classic." He said that the books gained something in the translation.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I thought Hamlet (translated from the original Klingon) was pretty good.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Robert Heinlein once wrote that he and Ginny learned Russian in order to read the Russian Classics in the origian language, thinking that he could get a feel for why they were considered "classic." He said that the books gained something in the translation.
I think a good translator will give you a different take on the English language that might offer a better "feel" for the foreign language than you could get my learning it at an older age. I always find there's something magical that comes out of a translation, like I have a window into another perspective on my language.
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote