Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
rchusid
rchusid doesn't litterrchusid doesn't litter

Device: Android phone and tablets; Several nook models
Synchronizing ebook page between devices

I'm wondering if there are any ebook readers which I haven't tried yet which do a good job of synchronizing which page I'm on between different android devices.

I've been using Moon+ Reader for this. It does a decent job of synchronizing, but I would like an alternative due to its inability to preserve page breaks within chapters. I'm currently reading a book which primarily has two long chapters and losing the breaks due to extra spaces between paragraphs as in the physical copy makes it harder to read.

I am currently using FBReader for this book. The formatting of the book works fine and it does synchronize, but it doesn't do it transparently the way Moon+ does so I'm still looking around for alternatives.

I do have a copy of Mantano but dislike the way they force people to pay for their cloud instead of using Dropbox. If I don't find a better alternative I might give in and pay the $20 per year (or reduce the number of books to under 1000 and cut it to $10 per year--realistically I don't really need to keep all those books on there).

I have also used Aldiko in the past but it had some problems.

Any other suggestions?
rchusid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
I've subscribed to the Mantano Cloud service, and while it works as described, I've found Moon+ to be much easier to use. Moon "just does" synchronization, and I don't have to remember to select specific books for synch. It's also free to use with an existing Dropbox or GDrive account, which helps. I'm going to drop my Mantano Cloud subscription when it expires next year.

It's a shame Mantano doesn't adopt Moon+'s approach to sync, or Moon+ improve their rendering engine to be on par with Mantano or Google.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
AlReader has the best page sync I've used so far.

Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
rchusid

How does AlReader's sync work? I just checked their web page and it says, "Synchronize reading position via network or file system." That's not very clear. Do two devices have to be connected on the same network, or does it use something like Dropbox to sync?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchusid View Post
How does AlReader's sync work? I just checked their web page and it says, "Synchronize reading position via network or file system." That's not very clear. Do two devices have to be connected on the same network, or does it use something like Dropbox to sync?
It appears that AlReader network sync has its own "Dropbox" like site. If you lose your wifi connection you will get a message telling you that you are unable to sync. I have no idea how the file sytem sync works.

Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
rchusid

Thanks for the information on AlReader. I tried installing it last night. Unfortunately it had the same formatting issues that I had with Moon+ in losing the section breaks. There are a lot of formatting options. Maybe there is an option which will fix this, but I was unsuccessful when I tried for a short time last night.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I was about to recommend Fabrik Pro but when I went looking for the link I noticed Google seems to have removed it from the store. Now I'm kind of angry it isn't the first paid app from there that's suddenly vanished on me and it really was a great reading app.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Pawlo
Pawlo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I can't sync my moon + reader PRO with other devices.

How do?
Pawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Fbreader now has the ability to sync your reading position built in. See this thread.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mantano, moon+ reader, synchronization