Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
ADE plays up & why drm should be abolished and

I think I'm experiencing the problem described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206559

I.e. suddenly I can't open any of the DRM'd files on the Kobo Aura anymore. At least none that I tried. I can't even open an epub that doesn't have DRM but only has a watermark. In fact, I can't open ANY file, and all because supposedly the device isn't on an authorized ADE account.

Now here's the strange thing: this didn't happen just after an update. It didn't even happen after I connected to the internet -- wifi wasn't switched on between the moment the reader worked (yesterday night) and when it didn't (just now).

All I did was try to delete a book from the library. (This was a book I'd bought through Kobo.)

Really -- if your "copy protection" is going to give your well-intentioned clients that much hassle (because from that thread I see it IS going to involve some hassle; some even suggest a factory reset, or deleting and re-uploading all books, two prospects I don't relish), just *give up on it*.

I'm against robbing authors and publishers of their income by distributing or downloading illegal copies of ebooks. But DRM is shit, and everybody knows it. Even the powerpoint bozos must know, when their presenting their bullet lists of its advantages.

Man, how annoying.

Incidentally, is anyone aware of a tie-in with Calibre being a possible contributing cause? (That and having a mix of kepubs and epubs with DRM stripped by Calibre on the device.)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I think I'm experiencing the problem described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206559

I.e. suddenly I can't open any of the DRM'd files on the Kobo Aura anymore. At least none that I tried. I can't even open an epub that doesn't have DRM but only has a watermark. In fact, I can't open ANY file, and all because supposedly the device isn't on an authorized ADE account.

Now here's the strange thing: this didn't happen just after an update. It didn't even happen after I connected to the internet -- wifi wasn't switched on between the moment the reader worked (yesterday night) and when it didn't (just now).

All I did was try to delete a book from the library. (This was a book I'd bought through Kobo.)

Really -- if your "copy protection" is going to give your well-intentioned clients that much hassle (because from that thread I see it IS going to involve some hassle; some even suggest a factory reset, or deleting and re-uploading all books, two prospects I don't relish), just *give up on it*.

I'm against robbing authors and publishers of their income by distributing or downloading illegal copies of ebooks. But DRM is shit, and everybody knows it. Even the powerpoint bozos must know, when their presenting their bullet lists of its advantages.

Man, how annoying.

Incidentally, is anyone aware of a tie-in with Calibre being a possible contributing cause? (That and having a mix of kepubs and epubs with DRM stripped by Calibre on the device.)
no library books, i take it? if so, that could be the issue. i can elaborate if you have library books.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
No, no library books. This was a problem that sometimes recurs (not very often) and is usually solved by rebooting the reader, at least in my experience.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Try signing out and then back in on the Kobo. It sounds more like a database issue than Adobe DRM issue.... just read the last line of your first comment... so I take it the DRM has been removed with Calibre? If so then this is most definitely a datebase issue, nothing to do with DRM since you don't seem to have books with DRM on them.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote