Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question correct use of …

I google ellipsis & read that is should be preceded by a space, but in an epub that can mean a line break occurring between the last word and the dots.

I don't think that is done in print, so I am wondering how … should be correctly used in epub e.g. should it always be preceded by   - intuitively that feels wrong - or should it just go next to the preceeding word with no space in between

what do others do ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
First, different languages have different typographic convetions/traditions, so even though it may be usual to add a space before an ellipsis in English, it is most often wrong in Spanish, for instance.

In English ePubs, I tend to put a normal space before and after an ellipsis, when it is in the middle of a sentence (and by the way, I don't use … most of the time), and a   at the end:

Code:
She would not sleep, she thought; she could last until tomorrow night. . . . The train wheels clicked in accented rhythm.

"But . . ." said Taggart, "but . . . but nobody's ever used it before!"
(in red, the actual ellipsis: . . .)

I don't think it's so wrong to break the line before an ellipsis in the middle of a sentence.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

I don't think it's so wrong to break the line before an ellipsis in the middle of a sentence.
"wrong" was probably the wrong word to use, but it looks odd - to me - to see an ellipsis all by itself on a line, when it occurs at the end of a sentence:

and then
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
(in red, the actual ellipsis: . . .)
It's odd that you do it that way since an ellipsis character can look noticeably different to three periods. e.g. Much narrower.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Visually, I prefer the …, and will often edit out constructs like Jeeby's,

but what I don't like is when the ellipse strays onto a new line

like that
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If I need a space in front of the ellipse, I always use the non-breaking space to avoid having the ellipse start a new line. Strictly a personal preference for me ... I have no interest in whether it's typographically correct or not.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would find a trailing ellipse on a separate line extremely annoying

I tend to use: last_word&hellip
and forget all those 'conventions' ( I don't sell my work, so there )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

I found an interesting debate here
http://howpublishingreallyworks.blog...-ellipses.html

seems the most important thing is to choose an approach & stick to it i.e. be consistent.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
"wrong" was probably the wrong word to use, but it looks odd - to me - to see an ellipsis all by itself on a line, when it occurs at the end of a sentence:

and then
That's why I said I use a normal space in the middle of a sentence, and a   when the ellipsis is at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
It's odd that you do it that way since an ellipsis character can look noticeably different to three periods. e.g. Much narrower.
That's exactly why I do it, because I want the periods spaced out, like many printed books (again, only in English, in Spanish I just use "...", which is the recommended form).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
That's exactly why I do it, because I want the periods spaced out, like many printed books (again, only in English, in Spanish I just use "...", which is the recommended form).
Odd, I'm the exact opposite. I absolutely hate seeing spaced out ellipses, it just seems wrong to me.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I scan a book, I set the ellipses the way the original text had it. If they were more spaced out in the printed book, they stay spaced out in the ebook, and I've run into that most often with older books.

I've also run into the end of a sentence then followed by an ellipse, which meant 4 periods and no space of course between the last word and the first period of course. And the next ellipse in the same paragraph might have a space before the ellipse started. And I keep both of those the same. All depends on the original for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
When I scan a book, I set the ellipses the way the original text had it. If they were more spaced out in the printed book, they stay spaced out in the ebook, and I've run into that most often with older books.

I've also run into the end of a sentence then followed by an ellipse, which meant 4 periods and no space of course between the last word and the first period of course. And the next ellipse in the same paragraph might have a space before the ellipse started. And I keep both of those the same. All depends on the original for me.
so when a piece of dialogue "just fizzles out like this...."
there should be a total of 4 dots, not 3? I was not aware of that subtlety. Looks a bit strange now that I have typed it.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so when a piece of dialogue "just fizzles out like this...."
there should be a total of 4 dots, not 3? I was not aware of that subtlety. Looks a bit strange now that I have typed it.
I see it done as: fizzle space period

&hellip .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I see it done as: fizzle space period

&hellip .
would have to be a NBSP or the final period could appear on a different line ?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. If it were me doing it, I'd take the appropriate measures (nbsp) to prevent the possibility that the last line of a paragraph might be a single, lonely period.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
entities, locale, typography