Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #106
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So Google really is eating Apples for lunch.
At least Apple still has their lunch, though people are taking pieces of their phone and tablet pies left and right as we speak.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #107
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Avast is completely free, unless one upgrades. Updates will run automatically. The notification that the updates have been installed can be shut off.
Thanks for the tip. I googled this and see how to do it. The Avast sound effects are already turned off on my wife's Win7 box, but I'm now going to try turning off the rest. I'd told her I would switch her to Microsoft Security Essentials, but this is certainly easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Do I believe a global anti-virus software company that's been gathering statistics based on millions of users, or one person's anecdotal opinion?

Tricky decision...
Actually, yes.*

And it not like anti-virus is harmless. It slows down your PC. Strange conflicts occur, perhaps because it is scanning a file you want to use. And, on rare occasion, there's a problem on installation. On less rare occasion, you want to change anti-virus vendors, but there are problems removing it from your computer. If the chances of getting a virus by relying on the protection provided with the OS were say, ten percent, I'd go with the vendor anti-virus. But if the real-life chances are, say, one percent, which sounds on the high side for Apple, I'd say anti-virus is more trouble than it is worth.

Thank goodness these anti-virus folks haven't gotten their fingers into our eReaders.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #108
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
In case anyone missed it.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #109
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Linux and the like seem to me to be for programmers, Geeks, and Trons.
Unfortunately I have to agree. I have used Linux for years and, though it's made huge steps in terms of usability, there are still quirks and issues. When I updated from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 my video drivers went south and my PC would only boot to terminal. I could find my way around as I am fairly proficient in Linux, but the average Joe would tear his hair out. Much as it pains me to say it, Linux is not yet ready for mainstream.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #110
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And of course Sophos is a totally unbiased source... in the days before OS/X when I was doing Mac support for clients, ranging from individuals to large companies, I only once came across a virus in the wild on a vicar's machine and it took a good 5 minutes to deal with. As far as OS/X is concerned there have been far more proofs of exploit than actual "out in the wild" attacks and they mainly have more social engineering then random infection in common... people D/Ling material from dubious sources and clicking on oddball links without engaging their brains...

This is not saying Macs are immune... nothing is immune but some things are more likely than others... and I pay far more attention to AV software on my PCs (physical and virtual) than I do on my Mac... and guess which platform has caused me trouble with attacks...
I'm not sure of what you are trying to say here. I gave the link to show that there have been threats on Macs for years. If I would have found a list of successful malware attacks made by Apple I would have linked to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
And it not like anti-virus is harmless. It slows down your PC. Strange conflicts occur, perhaps because it is scanning a file you want to use. And, on rare occasion, there's a problem on installation. On less rare occasion, you want to change anti-virus vendors, but there are problems removing it from your computer. If the chances of getting a virus by relying on the protection provided with the OS were say, ten percent, I'd go with the vendor anti-virus. But if the real-life chances are, say, one percent, which sounds on the high side for Apple, I'd say anti-virus is more trouble than it is worth.
I'm wondering if this is the kind of reasoning that some people have for not using condoms.
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #111
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Apple is the most predatory, proprietary IT company on the planet, though Amazon pursues its demonic crown. The moment Apple stops innovating, the moment it falls one step behind, the dogs will be on it and will rip it apart. I will cheer them on.

The world has been waiting for an open-source OS to destroy Windows. Windows has become the proverbial dead-whale being kicked up a beach. Linux failed because 1) Windows had lock-in established on PCs (a la Betamax and VHS), and 2) Linux is not user-friendly.

Enter Android. 1) It dominates on the mobile platform and, 2) it is super user-friendly (app store anyone?).

Windows and Apple are dead. Muhahahahaha

Now we have to worry about Amazon. What OS does the Fire use? Oh, crap!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #112
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
And why shouldn't we have Android on a non-mobile platform? Android will take over the PC / laptop market too. Bye Windows. Bye Apple
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
...It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.[/url]
-- Upton Sinclair
Love the quote, but only marginally applicable to the discussion at hand.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #114
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Much as it pains me to say it, Linux is not yet ready for mainstream.
Well, if we believe the pundits (which I don't) about this being a post-PC age, that won't matter because the mainstream in moving in other directions.
(shrug)
Each product has a natural market that is receptive to its pro's and con's. Usually, trying to go beyond those bounds proves fruitless.
The best products are simply the best at meeting the needs of their target users and waste no effort trying to be what they can't.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #115
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
... I could find my way around as I am fairly proficient in Linux, but the average Joe would tear his hair out. Much as it pains me to say it, Linux is not yet ready for mainstream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, if we believe the pundits (which I don't) about this being a post-PC age, that won't matter because the mainstream in moving in other directions.
(shrug)
Each product has a natural market that is receptive to its pro's and con's. Usually, trying to go beyond those bounds proves fruitless.
The best products are simply the best at meeting the needs of their target users and waste no effort trying to be what they can't.
And I think that is mostly only because microsoft/windows has dominated the market. If the full base of programmers and companies had/was devoted to building applications for consumer linux then it would be dominant. It's only because IBM and MS (in conjunction with vendors) make Windows dominant, otherwise it very likely would have been linux. And maybe this topic would be:

Linux vs Apple(linux)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #116
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It only took a few years on Mobile Read for me to understand the indifference demographic when it comes to professionals who use the Mac: It appears that many people here are programmers drawn to e-readers partly for their textual purity and ease of format manipulation. This is not a criticism; rather, it's a statement of site-wide priorities which don't begin and end with book lovers.

It's very likely that a programmer might ignore end users whose profession is dependent on macs (viewed as a dumbed-down locked-in system). They have to rely on macs not simply due to the diverse practicality of the tools themselves but because of compatibility with multiple formats and arrays of software between pro users and the people who pay them.

Since at last I'm beginning to understand this, I'll ask people who aren't interested in professionals in the arts to ignore the rest of this post.

The question is what's going to happen to professional use in the wake of the abandonment of professional needs. The easy answer would be to return to Windows, since the elements are all there (most specifically, Digidesign and Avid). But if that happens, there will still be a wake of bodies -- people who had to buy $40,000 systems to work with filmmakers, only to discover future development on their systems closed and their archives at least partly unreadable. Struggling small studios will go bankrupt and so will some professionals.

If Apple's pro-end market dies, the question is what will happen to all of that work. It looks as though Apple is not inclined to care or make concessions to past users at any level, as shown by the utter discontinuation of firewire on newer Mac laptops. People cannot even use Apple's migration assistant to move expensive authorized programs from one machine to another, let alone use legacy audio hardware without buying third-party interfaces like the Sonnet Echo (which might or might not do the job, as reports from professional users have shown). And never mind the recent move to make all future laptops impossible to customize.

That's a market which is small by comparison to Android's, one which only Microsoft seems to care about at present. Undiluted linux is powerful enough for music production but has not been its most problem-free environment so far and I doubt it will be. In terms of the future, I only wish that Windows were taking bites out of Apple.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-26-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #117
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
And why shouldn't we have Android on a non-mobile platform? Android will take over the PC / laptop market too. Bye Windows. Bye Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's only because IBM and MS (in conjunction with vendors) make Windows dominant, otherwise it very likely would have been linux. And maybe this topic would be:

Linux vs Apple(linux)
Spock wears a beard, right?

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #118
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Presitdigitweeze you bring up a number of issues that have me quite worried. Apple have not upgraded their top desktop machine since I bought my last one almost 3 years ago. Three years! Good grief. Cameras have hit 80MP and have moved on to USB 3 for tethering purposes and Apple seem unwilling to support the industry further. I dread having to move back to PC as I did when Apple made their rather laborious change from system 9 to 10

Before those days crucial things like colour management simply didn't exist on PC. Don't talk to me about Linux. I have neither the skills nor the time to go there.

Will Android offer a solution for this tiny creative market? I don't believe they will. Why should they? The market is too small.

I am actually seeing an alarming trend where high end niche creative industries are being abandoned in the rush for the big money represented by mass markets. We all see Black Friday videos of hysterical consumers fighting over consumer electronics. Companies chase the profits of these big markets

Apple used to serve the niche creative industries and they seem to have abandoned that client base.

I hope Android does eat their lunch in the sense of offering useful solutions but I'm not holding my breath
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #119
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I hope Android does eat their lunch in the sense of offering useful solutions but I'm not holding my breath
True. Much as I enjoy using Android, given that we still can't open two documents concurrently with a single app I think it has a fair way to go before it can rule the desktop.

Graham
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #120
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Apple is the most predatory, proprietary IT company on the planet, though Amazon pursues its demonic crown. The moment Apple stops innovating, the moment it falls one step behind, the dogs will be on it and will rip it apart. I will cheer them on.

The world has been waiting for an open-source OS to destroy Windows. Windows has become the proverbial dead-whale being kicked up a beach. Linux failed because 1) Windows had lock-in established on PCs (a la Betamax and VHS), and 2) Linux is not user-friendly.

Enter Android. 1) It dominates on the mobile platform and, 2) it is super user-friendly (app store anyone?).

Windows and Apple are dead. Muhahahahaha

Now we have to worry about Amazon. What OS does the Fire use? Oh, crap!
I'm pretty sure that Google is as evil as the other companies. It's just younger and has less skeletons in the closet.
Closed Thread