Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Worst Book(s) You Ever Read?

I hope this isn't too negative but I usually give high marks to books that stick with me. Seriously, I'm a pretty easy-going book-rater, so I wracked my brains trying to think of books I really, really hated. These are those books:

Sweet Anger by Sandra Brown - Thank goodness I got this from the library. A guy breaks into your house and you're attracted to him? Seriously? That is where I stopped reading. I must admit I didn't finish the book.

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk - I was really struggling with the weird writing style of this book as it is supposed to be the first-person of a non-English speaker. Then the rape scene. Chaucer can get away with rape as a practical joke, Mr. Palahniuk. He lived in the Middle Ages and, even so, I didn't like that tale. You can not get away with it at all IMHO.

I didn't hate Tess of the D'Urbervilles as much as I hated the above two books but it annoyed me to no end when I had to read it in school. Books of that era about women written by men rub me the wrong way, I guess. I didn't like Madame Bovary, either. I loved Jane Eyre to the point of obsession, though, and thought Wuthering Heights was pretty good.

Another book I read in school I didn't like was Heart of Darkness. Unlike Tess, I didn't even finish that one and I was usually a pretty good student. I could not get into it or care about any character in it. It has been so long I can't really explain why. Maybe I should revisit it. After all, I liked Apocalypse Now.

Anyway, Pygmy and Sweet Anger are the only books I can remember hating in a visceral way.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I don't think its too negative, in fact, I think this thread is a good idea.

Like you, I'm pretty easy going. I do not tend to hate books, but I have found my self either thoroughly frustrated by or disappointed with them. I found The Witching Hour to be both frustrating & disappointing; I did not finish it.

My Goodreads Review:

Quote:
"After months of trying to slog through this book, I finally just gave up. It wasn't going to happen. Various components of the story were interesting, but as a whole it was just too much to wade through, without there seeming to be much of a point.
I really wanted to like the Witching Hour.... it has been on my bookshelf for years, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
I'm actually very disappointed.
"
I gave the book "1" star. Those last statements came from the heart.

Last edited by Nyssa; 04-28-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo issues.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I didn't hate Tess of the D'Urbervilles as much as I hated the above two books but it annoyed me to no end when I had to read it in school. Books of that era about women written by men rub me the wrong way, I guess. I didn't like Madame Bovary, either.
I would say that these two were probably disliked by your personal preferences rather than them being bad books. The fact that both are classics says a lot for them.

Along the same lines, I have tried over and over to read Tolkein but I just can't do it. I keep hearing how I should love it but I'm just not a fan of fantasy. I'm sure they are well written but just not for me.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't hesitate to give a book 1-star... I use Goodreads.com, and on their system 1-star means "didn't like it". So I'll 1-star a book, but it doesn't mean I hated it.

In the past couple years, I've 1-starred a few books:
Hands Off My Belly: The Pregnant Woman's Survival Guide to Myths, Mothers, and Moods
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) (Robin Hobb)
Starbound (Joe Haldeman)
Rama II (Clarke)
Ender in Exile (Card)
The Road (McCarthy)

The only ones that really stick with me as "oh god, don't ever read (or attempt to read) this again" are:
The Road (boring, writing was not for me)
Elantris (oh, the writing was PAINFUL)
Starbound (rapid perspective changes with no explanation of whose view you were currently reading)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
ramsey_isler
Enthusiast
ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Hmm, interesting thread :-)

I have to say Atlas Shrugged is the worst novel I've read. Although I'm hardly a fan of Objectivism, I figured I'd give the book a fair shot and be...objective. But I found the book long, implausible, repetitive, and just plain difficult to read.
ramsey_isler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't think its too negative, in fact, I think this thread is a good idea.

Like you, I'm pretty easy going. I do not tend to hate books, but I have found my self either thoroughly frustrated by or disappointed with them. I found The Witching Hour to be both frustrating & disappointing; I did not finish it.

My Goodreads Review:

I gave the book "1" star. Those last statements came from the heart.
Yeah, I couldn't get into the Mayfair books, either, though I didn't dislike them too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I would say that these two were probably disliked by your personal preferences rather than them being bad books. The fact that both are classics says a lot for them.

Along the same lines, I have tried over and over to read Tolkein but I just can't do it. I keep hearing how I should love it but I'm just not a fan of fantasy. I'm sure they are well written but just not for me.
Oh, granted. I love Tolkien, myself, but my mom read me The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings here when I was a kid. She read A Wizard of Earthsea to me there as well. Probably explains my love for those books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I don't hesitate to give a book 1-star... I use Goodreads.com, and on their system 1-star means "didn't like it". So I'll 1-star a book, but it doesn't mean I hated it.

Hands Off My Belly: The Pregnant Woman's Survival Guide to Myths, Mothers, and Moods
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
Starbound (Joe Haldeman)
Rama II (Clarke)
Ender in Exile (Card)
The Road (McCarthy)

The only ones that really stick with me as "oh god, don't ever read (or attempt to read) this again" are:
The Road (boring, writing was not for me)
Elantris (oh, the writing was PAINFUL)
Starbound (rapid perspective changes with no explanation of whose view you were currently reading)
I never heard of the other books but I did read The Road. I expected it to knock my socks off and it didn't but I didn't hate it. Have you read The Passage? Best. Post-apocalyptic. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey_isler View Post

I have to say Atlas Shrugged is the worst novel I've read. Although I'm hardly a fan of Objectivism, I figured I'd give the book a fair shot and be...objective. But I found the book long, implausible, repetitive, and just plain difficult to read.
Heh. Since I'm not an objectivist, I'm sure Atlas Shrugged would be on my hate list if I ever read it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey_isler View Post

Hmmm, I just recently loaded that up on my eReader. I'll have to see if I agree with you.

Two books come to mind for me.

The Sword of Truth. Unlike edbro I like fantasy. But this book... just painful. The characters are... shallow? and fairly unintelligent. I just wanted to slap them. The dialog is terrible and caused me to quit reading it when I first tried a few years ago after about 100 pages in. A co-worker, whom I have given MANY books to read, said I should read it. As it was the first time he's tried to give me something in return I had to try. I got though to the end though I was just skimming though parts and it was a huge relief to get to the end. I'll never read another book in that, seemingly, never ending series.

Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony. I like other books Mr. Anthony has done but this was horrible. It was almost bad enough to try and keep going in a "it's got to get better right?" way. Looking it up on Amazon it looks like he's gone on for at least 6 books. I think I got only 30 or so pages in.

Oh... one more.

The Tyranny of the Night by Glen Cook. I loved the Black Company books and that caused me to give this a try. Wow... It's a great book to try and read when you are going to sleep as it will put you to sleep. It was like trying to read a history book but where I could really care less about who did what and where and also didn't have the background schooling to know where he was talking about having never heard of any of the places before. At least if I read a history book now I KNOW where France is. I gave this one up after 30 or so pages too.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
. . .
. . .
I have to agree except I would give 1 star rating to the entire Rain Wild Series. When I read the books, my first thought was she must be desperate for money.

I'm a fan of L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s Recluse series (I own the entire series) but the latest book in the series (I think it is #16) was a pathetic excuse for writing.

I also generally like Lawrence Watt-Evans, but Denner's Wreck is not up to par.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Jude the Obscure (Hardy). Finished it, but it's one of those books that was (to me at least) so damn depressing that you want to lock the firearms away for a few days till you get over it.

A Theft (Bellow). Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this one. I quit after about 35 pages of what appeared to me to be nothing more than Bellow being in love with the sound of his own voice. If there was a plot in the offing, he had certainly beaten it into submission up to the point where I quit.

I remember really hating Jane Eyre when I was forced to read it at school, when I was around 13-14. To be fair, I should revisit it, since it has prejudiced me against anything with "Bronte" on the cover ever since.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
If I don't like a book, I generally can't finish it. The worst book I ever remember trying to get through was Erectus Walks Among Us. It was dressed up as an evolution book, but ti was actually a racist tract couched in evolutionary terms.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Jude the Obscure (Hardy). Finished it, but it's one of those books that was (to me at least) so damn depressing that you want to lock the firearms away for a few days till you get over it.

A Theft (Bellow). Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this one. I quit after about 35 pages of what appeared to me to be nothing more than Bellow being in love with the sound of his own voice. If there was a plot in the offing, he had certainly beaten it into submission up to the point where I quit.

I remember really hating Jane Eyre when I was forced to read it at school, when I was around 13-14. To be fair, I should revisit it, since it has prejudiced me against anything with "Bronte" on the cover ever since.
Ha! I loved Jane Eyre but I never read Jude or anything by Bellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
If I don't like a book, I generally can't finish it. The worst book I ever remember trying to get through was Erectus Walks Among Us. It was dressed up as an evolution book, but ti was actually a racist tract couched in evolutionary terms.
Yuck! Yeah, I wouldn't have finished it either and don't usually finish books I hate. I thought Before the Dawn was a good book about human evolution.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. It's considered a classic by many, but I really can't figure out why. It was all manner of awful, in my opinion.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.
As Nelson Muntz said, I can think of at least two things wrong with that title.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Wow. Looked that one up on Amazon and read some of the reviews. I wouldn't have been able to finish it either.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle View Post
Wow. Looked that one up on Amazon and read some of the reviews. I wouldn't have been able to finish it either.
But.. But.. The folks on Stormfront thinks it's great..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote