Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation Kobo Wifi specs

Where can I find the Kobo Wifi Specs? Not the light specs we find at borders or koboereader but real specs we can trust.

Each site shows slightly different specs. AT koboereader we are told that 32G SD card can be used, at borders just 4G, Somewhere I saw a review stating that the eInk display is pearl, here on the forum it's been said it's not.

So, where are the correct specs ?
Thanks in advance,
JEx
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I do know from private messages to JCKobo and Sameerh that the SD support IS for an SDHC controller, and the increased capacity that SDHC supports.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Why on earth do you need 32GB of space on an ereader? 4GB should be more than enough. I've never crossed the 1GB mark.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
And it is not Pearl (she says looking at her Kobo WiFi and Kobo original side-by-side). Seriously, the information on Koboreader.com is accurate. If you want to try the FCC filings use this reference number: NOIKBN647. I didn't see anything useful. I did find this filing by Netronix which appears to be for several different devices, including Kobo WiFi, but it didn't say much.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I think 1gig will be more than sufficient for most people; more than that would be useful, like in the case of the kindle, for things like MP3's and audio books, but that's what I have my portable MP3 player for, which also has the battery power to play it. I like the fact that the Kobo is expandable (I do have a 4gb SDHC card), but doubt I'll be using it any time soon (adding almost 80 books to the kindle only took up about 37megs of space..do the math and you'll need a boatload of books to fill it up.)

That being said, I do understand what the OP means. it would be nice to see the straight up specs for the device.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
Why on earth do you need 32GB of space on an ereader? 4GB should be more than enough. I've never crossed the 1GB mark.
The post is not about what I need or not. It's about conflicting info on different sites. Just want the correct info. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
And it is not Pearl (she says looking at her Kobo WiFi and Kobo original side-by-side)
That's the problem! She says not kobo maker said. She saaid that, another person said another thing. Which one to believe ? Just having 16 shades of grey doesn't make the display Peral, viziplex is offered on both 8 and 16 shades. But, again, Just want the correct info. Why isn't it available besides on the shops that sell the device ? Is to hide something or just it slipped and got not shown because someone imaniged it was not needed ?

I pre-ordered it, when I did one of the reasons was because it was faster then previous device and because the site I saw the news said it had better contrast (and it'll not have if it's still viziplex).

Last edited by JexMcByte; 10-27-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is viziplex. As for contrast--it makes a difference to have 16 shades of gray in illustrations an pictures of course, text, not so much. As an aside, I did not use sync (preferring ePUB) on my original Kobo. I have tried sync on the new version and I notice that the text size is a bit larger than the equivalent ePUB files, which means there is more leading. The result is a more readable (for me) experience. I am not sure if it is improved over the original Kobo.

PS: Now I AM sure. My husband and I did some side by side checking last night between the two models. Big difference for both of us. The background colour is the same, but with the 16 level display, the serifs on serif text were more distinct and the contrast in general was much, much better.

Last edited by taming; 10-28-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: recheck
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Weird, they went to to "trouble" of updating the device, faster cpu, wifi, etc. but kept same display (the item that would have given better reading experience) unchanged...

Must decide (fast) if I keep the pre-order or not (before its shipped). Being fast is good, but havent bought it yet becuase I was looking for a black unit and on doubt about the contrast.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Weird, they went to to "trouble" of updating the device, faster cpu, wifi, etc. but kept same display (the item that would have given better reading experience) unchanged...

Must decide (fast) if I keep the pre-order or not (before its shipped). Being fast is good, but havent bought it yet becuase I was looking for a black unit and on doubt about the contrast.

I don't know; I believe the contrast on the new Kobo is slightly better than the original, but I didn't really have an issue with the contrast in first place, and I do read in low light conditions at night in bed so as to not disturb my better half while she sleeps. My main complaint with the original kobo was the speed, and that was fixed in spades.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I don't know; I believe the contrast on the new Kobo is slightly better than the original, but I didn't really have an issue with the contrast in first place, and I do read in low light conditions at night in bed so as to not disturb my better half while she sleeps. My main complaint with the original kobo was the speed, and that was fixed in spades.
I was always afraid of the contrast. I have some trouble reading when the contrast is not that good. Like sometimes, in comics books, when the ballon is dark red and the text is written in black. This I can't read most of the times unless the ambient light is very good. Not sure if it's because my astigatism that is high or because I stay in front of a computer screen all day or just because I'm not 20 anymore
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
I was always afraid of the contrast. I have some trouble reading when the contrast is not that good. Like sometimes, in comics books, when the ballon is dark red and the text is written in black. This I can't read most of the times unless the ambient light is very good. Not sure if it's because my astigatism that is high or because I stay in front of a computer screen all day or just because I'm not 20 anymore
and in these cases, and I hate to say this, you might be better off with something that has an LCD screen rather than e-ink. e-Ink was specifically designed for paper like reading of black letters on "white" background. I've looked at some of the covers I have and there are a bunch that it's dark writing on a dark background and I could see myself having problems seeing that in low light conditions (specifically, I'm looking at the cover of Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Force: Precipice. The series title is red on a black background and while I can make it out in good light, it drops significantly as light quality drops. I wouldn't mind seeing it on the kindle 3 to compare. But in any case, I don't really think e-ink devices will be viable for comics or books with a lot of complex images until color e-ink is available.

just my opinion of course
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

If you can chekc on Kindle 3 I'd appreciate but 1st some points need to be made clear.

- Do not mind not being able to read the covers, would be great enjoying the whole book but I can live without reading the cover.
- Not planing on reading comics, just gave it as an example of bad contrast and my problem with it.
- I've considered LCD but part of my ready is outdoors and LCD does not work well on that. I enjoy reading while walking, on bus while going (and comming from) work and, of course at home.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
If you can chekc on Kindle 3 I'd appreciate but 1st some points need to be made clear.

- Do not mind not being able to read the covers, would be great enjoying the whole book but I can live without reading the cover.
- Not planing on reading comics, just gave it as an example of bad contrast and my problem with it.
- I've considered LCD but part of my ready is outdoors and LCD does not work well on that. I enjoy reading while walking, on bus while going (and comming from) work and, of course at home.
yeah, I figured, and I was also using the covers as an example to go with yours, so no worries

I don't know anyone with a kindle 3 around my parts, but I did just google kindle 2 vs kindle 3, which should be about the same as kobo vs kindle 3, while the kobo wifi would be roughly between the two.

cheers.
Steph S.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

I've done some of those also (not today but when the kindle 3 showed up).
But, I've found that those reviews did not help me much, the image of the displays (at least those I've found) are ot that good to give a real feeling of both. Later I'll try finding more.

I know a guy that has both Kindle (not sure if Kindle 1 or 2) and Kindle 3. He said that Kindle 3 has a display that, in his words, is a little better but older kidle already had a display that was good enought. Still waiting for his answer for my question on how much better one is when compared to the other...
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I'm over 50, need reading glasses, and don't have any trouble with the Kobo in normal light conditions. I have a clip-on light that I like for dim-to-no light (even pitch black, like in bed).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote