Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Aussies - noticed a bunch of books $2 cheaper?

I was just checking books on my wishlist and I've found a bunch of them have suddenly got exactly $2 cheaper.

Have any other Aussies (or any other non-US customers) noticed the same thing?

For me it happened with about half a dozen books. In each of these cases the price was an odd one like $10.82 that probably means that the price was not originally in US$.

I'm hoping this is the start of the end of paying an extra $2 per book for whispernet access :-)
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Chris,

Hope that's going to become more widespread... annoys me to no end that we end up paying a $2 fee even if we're not on 3G Kindles.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Chris, yes, I noticed a $2 price drop some time ago...and posted it somewhere on the forum....but then didn't spot it again. I wonder if it is a gradual thing. It would be interesting to see if the same books also dropped for US, UK or other countries at the same time. If they are also dropping for the US then it could be a general price decrease, but if not then hopefully the $2 charge is slowly being dropped.

Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
It would be interesting to see if the same books also dropped for US, UK or other countries at the same time. If they are also dropping for the US then it could be a general price decrease, but if not then hopefully the $2 charge is slowly being dropped.

Jodi
In the UK we don't pay the $2 data roaming charge; it was dropped earlier in the year, presumably when Amazon did a deal with Vodafone UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
Roaming fee is still applied in Belgium.
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Arrgh, I wonder if I should switch back to the Aussie store to buy a few books and then swtich back to the US one? Hmmm...
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteseal View Post
Arrgh, I wonder if I should switch back to the Aussie store to buy a few books and then swtich back to the US one? Hmmm...
I wouldn't.

When I first got my Kindle, I tried changing my Amazon location to the US. I got the dreaded "prove your address" email straight away because I'd previously bought a book that was not available in the US.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast

More price reductions

Just following up my original post.

Just about everything on my wishlist has had the extra $2 charge removed now. Nice to see sanity prevail in a world with wifi Kindles :-)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, I have seen this too.

Ian McDonald's Dervish House was 11.99 for me, now 9.99. Ian Whates Noise book was 7.59 now 5.59.

I was wondering if buying a couple of books (or downloading the odd freebie) meant they might take the tax off to tempt you into it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crouch View Post
For me it happened with about half a dozen books. In each of these cases the price was an odd one like $10.82 that probably means that the price was not originally in US$.
I have seen a few 8.82s on browsing now, I think they were all pommie - hence the odd amount I suppose.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote