Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The Book Club's Anniversary is upon us! Has it really been FIVE years?

I was having a look at some past selections on the list and happened to notice that this book club will be reaching its fifth anniversary in October!

At first I thought it'd be November from the list, but then out of curiosity I went to find the oldest thread to have a look at where it all began and found that the book club was actually started in the beginning of October 2008 by the mysterious PsyDocJoanne (and pilotbob was also right there from the start), with the initial book given a month to read first so was considered the November selection.

So congrats to the book club for chugging along for almost five years now and for those that've made it possible! I've certainly enjoyed it since I came on board here. We should celebrate with punch and pie.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The book club has added much to my reading life since discovering it last year in time to read Ivanhoe. Since then I have missed reading only two books (20,000 Leagues and The Swerve, although I purchased The Swerve and will read it soon). Most of the selections I would not have otherwise read, and I've read many of the nominated books. I'm grateful for the book club and to all those who have kept it going. Thank you.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I only joined a few months ago and since joining I have read all of the monthly selections and some of the nominations too. My reading material is now coming from a much wider range of styles. I'm reading books I wouldn't have looked at twice before. So thanks to the book club my eyes are opening all the time! Long may it continue :-)
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I really appreciate the opportunity to be part of this Book Club and try out all sorts of books I might not otherwise read or even know about.

And I really appreciate the respect and friendliness always to be found in the Literary Book Club. Thank you all - I love being a part of it.

(On my way home from some real Australian outback, complete with emus and kangaroos, but not much in the way of Internet!)

ETA: Oops - that's the trouble with writing on a laptop in a motel room! I meant to say in my second para that I appreciated the respect and friendliness always to be found in both the Literary Book Club AND the MobileRead Book Club.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 08-30-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Happy Anniversary to the book club. I haven't read as many as I would have liked, but I'm going to try and remedy that by cutting down the number of books on my challenge list for next year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
It has been a marvellous experience for me. I started in the Literary Club and then added the MobileRead Book Club and I've never regretted either choice. I have encountered books I am certain that I would never have otherwise read and the Club has also helped me to structure my reading habits so that I experience more and better.

Happy Anniversary!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Wow! I cannot believe it's been already five years. That's truly impressive!

This community is just that crazy!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Congratulations! That's wonderful.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
hamlok
Currently Reading
hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hamlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Tolino, Kindle, Pocketbook, Sony
Congratulations!

Since June there is also the German book club (Buchclub) and we also hope that we are still here in 5 years.
hamlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlok View Post
Since June there is also the German book club (Buchclub) and we also hope that we are still here in 5 years.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
Neverwhere
Nameless Being

Well done, you lot! Is there a page where one can view all of the book club (and literary book club)'s previous choices?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Congratulations to the Book Club. I am in and out when the occasion allows. But I always check in.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwhere View Post
Well done, you lot! Is there a page where one can view all of the book club (and literary book club)'s previous choices?
Book Club Selections List
Literary Book Club List
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Many fantastic books have come my way because of both book clubs. Gracias.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Many fantastic books have come my way because of both book clubs. Gracias.
Interesting retrospective. Not all of these books appeal to me, but since becoming active I've tried to read almost all selections.

Here's to another five years.