Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #61
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Right, I mean it's not like the first iPad was missing a camera when most mobile devices came equipped with them. And isn't the supply guy the one responsible for Apple's profit margins, and therefore the reason why Apple is so valued as a company?

Cook was hired as a senior VP in 1998. He is one of the executives who knew how Steve Jobs thought, what his vision was for the next decade, since he worked with him for over a decade. One would expect that whatever he plans is in line with what Jobs would have planed, and not have to rely on Jobs' ability to predict the sate of the market for the next 5 years.

Actually I do. I think that it takes longer than a year for the development of a device with a different size, so it means that the project would have started while Jobs was still around.
First there are always multiple plans, not just "1" plan.
Second a new commander always "takes charge."
Third "the king is dead, long live the king!"
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #62
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They haven't cloned him (yet) but they probably have a little black book of aphorisms and most likely every discussion starts with "What would Steve do?"
Curse and cry:

Jobs was a profane man who would publicly castigate your ideas one day and claim credit for them the next, and would resort to crying if no other method worked in getting his way.

Also, make sure the British design guy who imparts that high-end Braun-influenced appearance gets all the raises he asks for.

One of the less toxic things Jobs did at NeXT, which I presume he controlled more than he controlled Apple, was to give most employees about the same salary. When the Apple executives ask what would Steve do, maybe the answer is that he would lower their salaries to that of the engineers (except for, as I said, the design guru who makes stuff that's just a little premium in functionality look mucho premium).
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #63
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Curse and cry:

Jobs was a profane man who would publicly castigate your ideas one day and claim credit for them the next, and would resort to crying if no other method worked in getting his way.

Also, make sure the British design guy who imparts that high-end Braun-influenced appearance gets all the raises he asks for.
I do not as a habit speak ill of the recently-deceased so I'll not refer to the dozens of verified tid-bits floating around. Anybody who cares can find them. Let's just say that history will be far kinder to the memory of Bill Gates...

As for *Sir* Jonathan Ives, fear not; he is well-compensated for his troubles.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #64
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'd wait until the Win8 numbers are in before finalizing that article.
Why bother?

To further pile on iPple? Adding Win8 will just add to the picture of the glory days being over for iPple.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #65
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Whatever happens to Apple (or any other famous company/people), I find it sad that people will actually glory in print at the possible troubles of a company responsible for millions of peop;e enjoying their gadgetry and providing employment for a huge number of people but it is the way things are now... become successful in any field either as a person or a business and others will glory in snapping around like hyenas whenever there may be trouble... and if there isn't any trouble then they'll invent/predict some...
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #66
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Whatever happens to Apple (or any other famous company/people), I find it sad that people will actually glory in print at the possible troubles of a company responsible for millions of peop;e enjoying their gadgetry and providing employment for a huge number of people but it is the way things are now... become successful in any field either as a person or a business and others will glory in snapping around like hyenas whenever there may be trouble... and if there isn't any trouble then they'll invent/predict some...
This weekend as many others will be some important football games. Half the teams that have many millions of people cheering them on and glorying in their success will lose. They will be sad to put it mildly.

There will be others very happy and quite willing to point out their superiority even if only fleeting.

Get over it elcreative. This isn't war or even football. It is a little competitive banter.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #67
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
This weekend as many others will be some important football games. Half the teams that have many millions of people cheering them on and glorying in their success will lose. They will be sad to put it mildly.

There will be others very happy and quite willing to point out their superiority even if only fleeting.

Get over it elcreative. This isn't war or even football. It is a little competitive banter.
I have nothing against a little competitive banter but the comments round hear sometimes go way beyond that or do the Admins close threads for a hobby... It doesn't bother me in the way you seem to think I meant, it's just a sad comment on the people concerned that they don't have anything better to do than slag someone/something off just because they can...

Last edited by elcreative; 11-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #68
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
I have nothing against a little competitive banter but the comments round hear sometimes go way beyond that or do the Admins close threads for a hobby... It doesn't bother me in the way you seem to think I meant, it's just a sad comment on the people concerned that they don't have anything better to than slag someone/something off just because they can...
Some of it what we do is just trolling to see the reactions from the fans. But a serious part to it is Microsoft was very powerful in the 10-15 years ago and because of its closed and proprietary systems held back the internet and innovation on it for a long time. IE6 played a huge part in slowing the growth of the internet. If it wasn't for Mozilla and later Google forcing Microsoft's hand that made them update their browsers and make them more compatible with open standards.
Apple and its closed systems would have done something similar to mobile web actually has done it in part with many mobile websites not following open standard but following Apple standard so that they are compatible with iOS browser but don't display properly on other devices. If apple domination would have continued the only way to browse the web properly would have been using iOS devices which in turn would have taken away people choices
I like Google for this that no matter what else they do they try to build on open standards so anyone using their services or devices are not actually stuck on using them.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #69
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The world has been waiting for a Windows-killer. It is here. It is called Linux and it is called Android. About time. Once some form of Android moves to laptops and apps are released designed for that platform Windows for home users will slowly die. Apple will last as long as they innovate in hardware. It will die too. Good riddance. They are proprietary dinosaurs.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #70
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The world has been waiting for a Windows-killer. It is here. It is called Linux and it is called Android. About time. Once some form of Android moves to laptops and apps are released designed for that platform Windows for home users will slowly die. Apple will last as long as they innovate in hardware. It will die too. Good riddance. They are proprietary dinosaurs.
Linux has been here for a while, and it has been working on laptops. Windows is still alive. Apple only innovates in marketing, and will be around as long as they have money. And I don't see why anyone would want companies to die. There will be no competition for Google, and I don't think that that would end well.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Linux have been dreaming that dream for ages, and it is even less likely to come true today then it was before. I see the opposite happening. Subsidized proprietary systems are squeezing pure hardware manufacturers to death. And Android, while great for phones, is the last thing I would like to see on my PC.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-23-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I don't know, "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #73
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Linux have been dreaming that dream for ages, and it is even less likely to come true today then it was before. I see the opposite happening. Subsidized proprietary systems are squeezing pure hardware manufacturers to death. And Android, while great for phones, is the last thing I would like to see on my PC.
I'd agree. Android is just a shell (a limited shell) that runs on top of linux. The problem is the focus on profits for shareholders and it's hard to make a profit without some type of proprietary system that locks in customers and/or returns them to the tap to spend more money.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #74
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Just a few things about myself.

I used DOS. (There I said it, but I take my pills regularly and use a cane when necessary.)
I was slow to adapt to Windows until 95 came along on a 1.3GB (or 1.6GB?) hard drive, but have since only skipped Vista, and not yet decided on W8.

I saw Apple (the IIe) and then the MAC and Lisa and it appeared to me that they were nice and easy for people not used to computers to use, however to me they appeared to be like shiny little sports cars that could go really fast down a flat track, but were way too expensive. Also they had their hoods welded shut, and you had to have a license to put air in the tires.

I more or less skipped the "texting" craze and then the SmartPhones preferring to talk though I actually did have a couple of PDAs (non phone) years ago.

The new (2nd coming of Jobs) iOS was interesting but still too similar to the previous era, and the phones and iPod Touches worked really great when I would set them up for friends and relative, but at too great cost I thought.

Linux and the like seem to me to be for programmers, Geeks, and Trons. Then Android came and simplified things and it seemed to be more for the "common guy." The guy like me who started out as a aircraft mechanic and then learned to fly.
I dipped my toe in with the Kindle and I loved it. I even have a Samsung Galaxy 7+ that I sometimes get to use when it is out of somebody else's hands. I got a used Android 1 a month or so ago for $36 total just to try out a small mobile tablet device. I don't intend to "activate" the phone part though it reminds me I should each time I start it up. (I will try out new stuff.) Funny thing happened. I went to my doctor this week and he actually has WiFi in his office so I could browse the war in the MidEast while I was there. I knew it was at restaurants, coffee houses and even grocery stores, but Doctor's Offices? Wow!

To cut to the chase, I have tried a lot of machines and am now even looking very intently at the Chrome OS and the Chrome machines. Trying out all the bits and pieces, the applications on my desktop. Getting ready to grab a piece of the cloud with a 2nd machine to see how the data and the machines sync. In particular I am looking at the Chromebook C7 by acer for $199 If it had a better battery I would guarantee you that I would have one by Christmas and replace my netbook.

I am not stuck on any machine but I am cost driven.

I tell my friends that Amazon and Google probably make a little money on their hardware but that is not their main concern, not their profit center so I think the way to go is with their hardware. They also seem to give away their software, so you only have to pay for what you want to add to their systems, and for me what I want seems to be mainly free.

You could do an inventory on my rolling, floating, and flying stock, and say I had a lot of bucks, but it goes back to that old saying about farmers that I heard my dad and uncles say. "Dirt rich and penny poor." I have to watch those pennies, especially those monthly charges.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #75
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The vast majority of people buying computers are not programmers and could careless about the code. They want something that works in their price point.

I understand why people like Apple products, they work, they are reliable, and they are less likely to get viruses. (shrugs) If people want to pay for that, then good for them.

I am fortunant to not be limited by cost so I can look for devices that work the easiest and where I don't have to think all that much. I don't program, don't want to program, and don't want to have to bash my head against walls trying to get things to work. I want a system that works, doesn't get a ton of bugs, and where I can do the things that I want.

For me that had lead to a tablet, I play games like Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Cribbage, Spider ect... I use a spread sheet to track my infants food, bowel movements, and sleep patterns. I like to check my email and the internet. I went with an iPad because it works and because most of the people I know who play the games I like have an iPad so I could play with them easily.

When I decide it is time to get a new computer I might move from a PC to an Apple. They are more expensive, which annoys me, but they work and they tend to have fewer problems with viruses. Given that I do 90% of my day to day stuff on my tablet, I really need a desk unit for storing pictures, videos, and the occassional more heavy duty computing (which means it is easier to move my pictures from my camera to my desktop and build photo albums there.) Then again, I might just go with a really cheap DELL because all I need it for is the most basic of things.

Who knows.
Closed Thread