Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Have Kobo said that the Glo uses IR touch? Because I don't see any mention of it on their site. Just ambiguously that it is non-glass.

The easiest explanation would be that these are the exact same panels, including light, from the same supplier.
Hmm, this here site says the Kobo Glo uses capacitive and not IR touch screen (see the table all the way down to the bottom of the article:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/k...mini-kobo-arc/

But I don't know where they got the info...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
Blue, that's what we're trying to deduce . The base screen appears to be the same, but there may be differences depending on whether or not the 'backlight' and touchscreen are the same or not.
Ok, thank you, that's what I was trying to figure out! I guess we won't have a definitive answer until people can physically compare them side by side.?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Ok, thank you, that's what I was trying to figure out! I guess we won't have a definitive answer until people can physically compare them side by side.?
That sums it up, in all likelihood
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijdod View Post
The The Wexler.Flex ONE is also on E Ink's list and it is definitely using the LG display. So "Uses E Ink Pearl Active Matrix Display" only means for sure that the screen uses Pearl film.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I'm curious what the "touch" experience for page turns will be like on the Paperwhite. All the hands on videos I've viewed show the reviewer stabbing the screen. I hope it's as simple as a light touch - just like the Kindle Touch.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One big advantage the Kobo has over the Kindle is that the Kobo handle ePub while the Kindle does not. Also, we don't know if Amazon has fixed the display issues with KF8 in the new Kindle's firmware.
But then there is Kobo's software. I want to upgrade to a Glo but will probably wait until a firmware upgrade or two before buying.
Also wonder if Kobo wil have a replaceable battery in the Glo or glue it in like the Touch?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi everyone

The kobo Glo uses IR touch from neonode. This eliminates the need to add another layer of glass or conductive surface on to the screen. The less layers, the better the experience in our view.

Our front light technology works by using LEDs and a nanopatterned light guide. The LEDs force light into the light guide and the nano pattern directs the light evenly across the display.

I don't know about the competition, but I would our case I would challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between a bare E ink display and the Glo E ink display which has the light guide implemented on it. I can't.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon bought the company that developed the technology behind the PaperWhite screen - from Amazon to Launch Illuminated E ink Kindles This Year in April:

This is almost certainly exclusive to Amazon, so the Kobo Glo and the NOOK with GlowLight are using different technology to the Kindle PaperWhite.
Amazon and Kobo are using the same screen. The screen is not paperwhite or even white. They are still grey. The background is lighter then last years Pearl screen. It is the light shining so close and then reflecting back that makes the illusion of being white.

What Amazon bought is the company who made the light for the PW. The Kobo uses a different tech but similar.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi everyone

The kobo Glo uses IR touch from neonode. This eliminates the need to add another layer of glass or conductive surface on to the screen. The less layers, the better the experience in our view.

Our front light technology works by using LEDs and a nanopatterned light guide. The LEDs force light into the light guide and the nano pattern directs the light evenly across the display.

I don't know about the competition, but I would our case I would challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between a bare E ink display and the Glo E ink display which has the light guide implemented on it. I can't.
Thank you for that information. If you'd like to send me a Kobo Glo, I'd be very happy to review it. It sounds very nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thanks for the info Sameer!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Sameer, could you tell us the resolution of the Mini screen?

Some sources state that it is 600x800, which would put it in the same range of enhanced resolution (DPI) as the Glo - around 210 DPI.

P.S. - One thing I find impressive, and not to be found in the B&N or Kindle forums, is that the Kobo folks actually follow the forums and listen to customers. Now if I could only figure out how to pre-order a Mini, I'd be on it in a minute...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
Eon
Eon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hi everyone

Thank you Sameer for all the information.

I would like to find out if the IR touch technology from neonode supports multi-touch? Features such as pinch to zoom will be great for viewing pdf.
Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony T1 uses same IR touch technology and has pinch to zoom built into the firmware. I have used it reading pdf books and documents on T1 Kobo uses different system to zoom in on pdf. T1 also can pinch to zoom when reading ebub books which I sometimes do by accident as not any reason to do this. It is handy when using web browser. Kobo has not implemented pinch to zoom yet but they could.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #29
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quite often I have a picture/diagram in an epub/kepub book I'd like to zoom in on but can't. Would be a nice feature so long as it isn't triggered accidentally.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon View Post
Thank you Sameer for all the information.

I would like to find out if the IR touch technology from neonode supports multi-touch? Features such as pinch to zoom will be great for viewing pdf.
Yes, the zForce Neonode does support multi-touch:
http://www.neonode.com/zforce®-neono...-rave-reviews/

But that doesn't mean the Kobo software will...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote