Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
heids124
heids124 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ePub unmanifested files

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've been researching for HOURS and I can't find an answer! Forgive my n00biness, please...

I am attempting to upload an .epub file on lulu.com. The file was originally a word doc, and I converted it using Calibre. I imported the file into my iTunes and it appears perfectly in my iBooks app on my iPhone. It passed the validation on threepress. But when I upload it, I get an error that there are unmanifested files.

I downloaded Sigil, but I can't figure out what I need to change in the code in order to make it work. Any suggestions??
heids124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre's convenient, but its output always needs work to produce a professional result. An unmanifested file is a file that's present in the archive but not present in the manifest section of the .opf file in the epub. You need to take a look inside the epub and check what's there.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
heids124

Do I look at it inside Sigil, or a different program?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by heids124 View Post
Do I look at it inside Sigil, or a different program?
A text editor (not word) will do... I use TextWrangler for MAC
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
heids124

The file comes up as jibberish in TextWrangler.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You've got to unzip it first. It's a zip file renamed .epub. If you edit or change anything, you'll need to rezip it. Take a look around the forums, there are some simple GUI utilities for doing it reliably.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
heids124

Awesome - finally got into the .opf file. And now I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. If anyone wants to tell me what I need to change, I'd be forever grateful!!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>More</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Marshall, Heidi">Heidi Marshall</dc:creator>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">calibre (0.7.15) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">794685ec-e968-4670-8f2c-547613207c82</dc:identifier>
<meta name="cover" content="cover.jpeg"/>
<meta name="Sigil version" content="0.2.4"/>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
<item id="cover.jpeg" href="Images/cover.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
<item id="stylesheet.css" href="Styles/stylesheet.css" media-type="text/css"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_000.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_000.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_001.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_001.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_002.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_002.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_003.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_003.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_004.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_004.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_005.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_005.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_006.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_006.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_007.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_007.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_008.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_008.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_009.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_009.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_010.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_010.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_011.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_011.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_012.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_012.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_013.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_013.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_014.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_014.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_015.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_015.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_016.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_016.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_017.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_017.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_018.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_018.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_019.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_019.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_020.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_020.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_021.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_021.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_022.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_022.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_023.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_023.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_024.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_024.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_025.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_025.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="MoreFinal_split_026.htm" href="Text/More%20Final_split_026.htm" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="titlepage.xhtml" href="Text/titlepage.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="titlepage.xhtml"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_000.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_001.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_002.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_003.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_004.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_005.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_006.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_007.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_008.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_009.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_010.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_011.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_012.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_013.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_014.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_015.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_016.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_017.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_018.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_019.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_020.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_021.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_022.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_023.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_024.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_025.htm"/>
<itemref idref="MoreFinal_split_026.htm"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="Text/titlepage.xhtml"/>
</guide>
</package>
Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by heids124 View Post
But when I upload it, I get an error that there are unmanifested files.

I downloaded Sigil, but I can't figure out what I need to change in the code in order to make it work. Any suggestions??
Just opening the epub in Sigil and then saving it discards unmanifested files. So do that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
heids124

Thanks everyone! I finally got it to work. Yay for Calibre, yay for Sigil, and boo for Lulu for not accepting perfectly good epub files.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Well, technically, the file wasn't "perfectly good". The manifest in the .opf file is suppose to list every single file in the archive. So chances are, some files were sitting around that were not listed in the manifest.

Without the help of Sigil, you would have needed to manually look through the folders and make sure that each file was included in the .opf manifest list.

Of course, the question now is, what files did Sigil automatically discard, and did they include useful information?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

heids124,

Are you on a Mac?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
heids124

Yep, I'm on a mac.

I know there were unmanifested files, but what was annoying to me was the file worked perfectly on my iPhone, and yet Lulu wouldn't accept it. I eventually ended up starting the whole process over - converting to .html from .doc, then converting to epub in Calibre, then using the epub-fix from Calibre in the terminal, then finishing the clean up in Sigil. Quite a process! Sheesh, I practically wrote my book in less time than it took for me to get it online!

Thanks everyone! I would have gone crazy without your help.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
capidamonte

It's probably the invisible Mac files then, I forget the names at the moment, the ones that get created in every folder.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Of course, the question now is, what files did Sigil automatically discard, and did they include useful information?
If the EPUB was ever opened in Calibre's reader then the extraneous file was probably the Calibre bookmark file. If the EPUB is destined for publication you probably would not want that file left in the EPUB in any case?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #15
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
It's probably the invisible Mac files then, I forget the names at the moment, the ones that get created in every folder.
.DS_Store? Could be that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, lulu