Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
How can I create subsections in Table of Contents

I'm sure I've seen them in some of my books, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for for an example. The closest I've found was similar to below:

Front Matter(followed by a down arrow)
Praise for...
Also by
Title Page
Copyright

and then the normal TOC continues.

If you tap the down arrow, it changes to a right arrow and all the subsections are hidden. (I might have the direction of the arrows reversed, but...)

Looking at the code in Sigil, I couldn't see anything that would cause this behavior, and a search for "Front Matter" had no results.

I have a couple enormous books where I would like to break the ebook down into the same sections as the actual books, i.e.

Section One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Section Two
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Section Three, etc.

Is this possible, and if so, how do you do it?
Thanks for your help.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You use different types of heading tags <h?>...each level is another subsection:

Code:
<h1>
     <h2>
          <h3>
     <h2>
     <h2>
          <h3>
          <h3>
etc.

Then Sigil's auto TOC creator will do the rest!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you had the TOC generated by the TOC tool, you can change the level there using the arrows
Use the Saved Search (I assume current NEW installs still have) to demote H1 or H2 to H3 (assumes Chapters, the most common, are will be H3), then use the TOC tool to promote the Part Title to H2
(I only use H1 for (Omnibus) Book Title Level)
You may need to adjust your syylesheet if it called out H1, H2 or H3 for the various titles
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Judging by the results, that only works with AZW3, not MOBI, right? MOBI has always worked better for me, so the first thing I always do is convert to MOBI. Seems that AZW3 always has different font sizes so that I have to reset the size for each book I read. MOBI is always the same. (shrugs)

I converted the big books I was talking about to AZW3, and got the subsections I wanted, but the formatting was trashed, i.e. chapter graphics were no longer centered, and line spacing was... just weird.

I should have brought some of my readers with me, but... I think even in MOBI, the reader creates "Front Matter" even though I didn't want it. I THINK on the eInk devices it's fine.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote