Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
ScorpioJonesy
ScorpioJonesy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Glo HD locked up

My new Kobo Glo is not working, I wonder if I have killed it? Initially it was not doing anything just showing the connect to PC. I tried a few holding power button and pressing in a paper clip combinations and the red light came on for a bit before rebooting and getting stuck on the 5 squares, 4 of which are filled. I have tried various combinations of power button and reset switch but nothing seems to work now.

Anyone got some troubleshooting advice or and idea on what might be wrong? They are hard to get hold of these days so if I send it back the chances are I will get a refund which is not ideal
ScorpioJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
First charge the ereader for few hours, then try to turn it on.
If it didn't work try performing a manual factory reset.

Last edited by oren64; 04-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
ScorpioJonesy

I'm going to leave it charging over night as anything I do does not seem to have any effect - it just sits there on the 5 squares bit
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
ScorpioJonesy

Leaving it over night didn't do much, still sat on the squares. None of the reset methods on the kobo web site seem to do anything.

I can send it back for a refund but I wont get another one as there is no more stock left. Would it be worth opening it up and reflashing the SD card?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioJonesy View Post
Leaving it over night didn't do much, still sat on the squares. None of the reset methods on the kobo web site seem to do anything.
Did you follow all the methods here? Especially the last one.
Quote:
I can send it back for a refund but I wont get another one as there is no more stock left. Would it be worth opening it up and reflashing the SD card?
Your asking that after you asked for the image and received it? The answer is probably. But, you can't tell until you try. And if it doesn't work, try another card in case the current one has failed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
ScorpioJonesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you follow all the methods here? Especially the last one.

Your asking that after you asked for the image and received it? The answer is probably. But, you can't tell until you try. And if it doesn't work, try another card in case the current one has failed.
I will try the 2 finger trick later. As for the image is was umming and erring on if I should open it or not.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will try the 2 finger trick later.
If a Kobo device is booting as far as you say, the manual factory reset such as the tapping the corners will almost definitely work. The main reason it wouldn't work is a hardware problem. In that case, opening it and replacing the SD card is the only choice.

Of course, if you've been playing with the OS and messed up the recovery partition, that's a different matter.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
ScorpioJonesy

I cracked the device open and flashed the card but it was still dead. Disconnected the battery and used just USB power and it sprang into life. Gave the battery a good chill in the freezer and I was able to charge it however even though it reports 60% or even 90% charge it wont last more than a few seconds off charge.

Currently have my old Kobo Glo battery inside until my new one arrives.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I wouldn't have thought of a dead battery in a new device. Did you notice what the charge level was when you first started it? If it was from the original batch and has been sitting somewhere since, the battery could have self-discharged to the point it was damaged.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
trishau
Enthusiast
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
............but I wont get another one as there is no more stock left.
If you can't get it going and really want another one - Amazon.com have 16 left.
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
ScorpioJonesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I wouldn't have thought of a dead battery in a new device. Did you notice what the charge level was when you first started it? If it was from the original batch and has been sitting somewhere since, the battery could have self-discharged to the point it was damaged.
I think had near zero charge as it wouldn't even power on when I first got it which is why I thought I had bricked it. It am sure this is stock that has been sat around for a long time maybe a couple of years.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
ScorpioJonesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishau View Post
If you can't get it going and really want another one - Amazon.com have 16 left.
Not in the UK and I managed to get a new Glo HD for about half that price including the postage. Even factoring the new battery I have ordered it is not much more than a decent 2nd had Glo non HD.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #13
trishau
Enthusiast
trishau is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Not in the UK and I managed to get a new Glo HD for about half that price including the postage.
That was a great deal!!
trishau is offline   Reply With Quote