Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #46
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
Hey sorry to dredge up this old thread again but, if you are still there and have a few minutes, I'm still having trouble getting ComicTagger fully operational. To clarify, I can get it to run using your instructions and I can tag comics one issue at a time - painstakingly slow for situations where I have hundreds of issues for the same comic.

I'm still having trouble getting to to batch import the metadata for multiple comics.

The issue I gather centers around the Python Image Library. I keep getting error messages to the effect that it's not available. I've tried each of your instructions to install it - none appear to have worked when I run ComicTagger. I've also tried check the Stack Overflow thread and it mentioned a manual installation of PIL, which I tried... but no dice there either. I also googled Anaconda and PIL and found this site: https://anaconda.org/anaconda/pil/files. I downloaded the PIL files for 64 bit OSX version and, not knowing where to put them, I put them in my ComicTagger directory and still no help.

I'm probably doing something stupid again since I don't understand how Python and Anaconda work... any chance you or anyone else has any insight to offer on how to get batch metadata importing to work in MacOS?

There is another function in ComicTagger called "Auto Tag" which appears to do batch importing, but everytime I run it, even when I specify the exact Comic title, it always ALWAYS fails to find a match.
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 AM   #47
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
I don't read comics unfortunately so I can't help in that area. But I do read Japanese manga. I find that the Amazon JP metadata finder works perfectly and finds all the metadata and covers perfectly for those. Now I just need to format them correctly as getting blank pages in between and work out which file extension is best. I prefer iBooks for reading but may use Marvin for the manga if decide to go with CBX/CBR. I tried using the iOS ComicRack app for comics and that seemed to work quite nicely but they stopped updating it for the iOS.

Can you find your comics on Amazon because I would have thought if you can, this metadata would be available? I don't understand how book and comic files are different, I guess it is the images that Calibre deals with them differently?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #48
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
I could not find an Amazon JP metadata finder within Calibre's install plugin dialog box. I was told that the existing plugins don't work well with comics. In the past when I tried to find comic book meta data with Amazon it would not work unless the comic book was part of a graphic novel.
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #49
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
I could not find an Amazon JP metadata finder within Calibre's install plugin dialog box. I was told that the existing plugins don't work well with comics. In the past when I tried to find comic book meta data with Amazon it would not work unless the comic book was part of a graphic novel.
I find that Amazon does work for graphic novels or manga quite well. You should be able to set the metadata source in preferences somewhere and choose other countries etc... As I mentioned above no experience with comics so can't help there. Good luck with it all.

Inukami
Old 04-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #50
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
I find that Amazon does work for graphic novels or manga quite well. You should be able to set the metadata source in preferences somewhere and choose other countries etc...
Maybe this optional plugin can help ==>> Amazon.com Multiple Countries

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #51
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe this optional plugin can help ==>> Amazon.com Multiple Countries

BR
Yep. That is the one I used, just couldn't remember if it was a plugin or in preferences as added it a while ago. It works well for Japanese manga and the Amazon Japan store metadata.

Inukami