Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
Zach
Nameless Being

Post Duplicate database files

I've noticed that after I sync a few web clippings to my device (MS) I find two copies of the files, one in \Launcher and the other in \Programs\Handstory. Which copy does Handstory use, and why are there duplicates? My memory is precous and I'd rather not duplicate the several megs I have allocated for web content...

Thanks!

Zach
Old 04-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Hi Zach...

When you hotsync a HandStory anything to your MS, it goes into the \launcher folder. When you open HandStory and do an "update list" command (or if you have it set to do this automatically), HandStory will move this file from \launcher to \programs\handstory. In this process, the file in \launcher is deleted. That's how it's supposed to work! I just experimented with 1 ebook clip, 1 web clip, and 1 save-to-palm clip, and the above procedure is what happened. (I knew it was working that way, but wanted to run a fresh test before writing this response.)

If you saying that after you create and sync a web clip, and open HandStory and do an update, then via FileZ or MSGate or whatever file utility you have, verify that the same file (size/date) is in both places...then there is something weird happening!

The above behavior began with version 2.0. There is no situation where HandStory would leave a copy in \launcher after moving the file to \programs\handstory, which is does before the file can be read.

If you have v2.0 or greater, and you're still experience identically copies in both places after sync and HS update, then I'd suggesting contacting handstory since you may have some sort of conflict going on within your PDA. There's no reason or condition that I know of where this would happen!

Let us know what you find out if you contact HS.

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
*Eraser*
*Eraser* began at the beginning.

Talking

You can erase all undesired duplicate files using Dupe Checker PRO. It's quite good program. It practically exclude the possibility of usefull file removal. It allows you to choose files to be deleted. Futhermore you can set different comparison criteria to make HD-cleaning process more convenient!

Good luck!
*Eraser* is offline   Reply With Quote