Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Covert Unicode TXT to EPUB, failed

I am trying to convert some txt files into epub for Sony 505.
The txt file are unicode saved by notepad. Those txt file start with 0xFF 0xFE which I believe are standard.
In Calibre, I specify UTF-8 as source encoding (which is correct) as soon as the covertion starts, it complains unknown character 0xFF at 0 and stops.

Any trick?
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I don't have any ideas for the currently released version. However, there is a lot of work going on with the input and output in the pluginize branch. One of the major changes is unicode support all through the conversion pipeline. I've been working on txt input and output for pluginize. Is it possible for you to attach or send me the txt files you are having problems with so I can make sure they work with the new pipeline?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
FF FE is UTF-16 BOM, not UTF-8. Make sure you choose UTF-8 in Notepad when saving, not "Unicode".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
lovemov
Enthusiast

I have tried UTF-16, no complain, however, the output was empty.
I have also tried Unicode, it says "Encoding not supported".
The original file was Simplified Chinese Unicode saved in notepad, it can be read in Reader without problem.
Here is the file:
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 孤独与沉思 - 苏利·普吕多姆.txt (164.6 KB, 449 views)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try converting your txt file to html (open it in word and save it as HTML)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
lovemov
Enthusiast

Covert to html by Word does work.
However, first it creates 1.5M large file and then it takes almost 10 minutes to convert. Also, batch processing will not be possible by this method.

This did inspire me and I try to save it as UTF-8 in notepad, works, takes couple of seconds to convert. So, looks like there is a bug in supporting Unicode TXT. UTF-8 TXT is perfect.