Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Various: Bible, King James Version, V3.0, 06.16.2009 [epub] (UPDATED!!)

As I mentioned in this thread, I thought it would be a rather neat to have an epub version of the Bible, complete with multi-level TOC.
After doing a bit of looking around I just couldn't find anything. So, I decided to bite the bullet and try doing it myself.

What I did is I took the CompleteA.htm file from the above mentioned thread, stripped all of the links and unnecessary (in my view) tags, leaving me with a rather basic HTML file. After getting the HTML file where I wanted it I converted it using calibre to generate a single epub file with two levels of TOC to navigate down to the chapter.

The result is a single file that is quick and easy to navigate to get to the desired chapter. There are no links in the file itself, so there is no previous/next links to chapters etc - all navigation is carried out at the menu system with the numbered buttons. (for the Sony PRS-505)

I am providing both the revised HTML file, as well as the generated epub - feel free to improve either to your hearts content

UPDATE: I have run this bible through "ePub_TOC_enhancer_v0.01" as created by =X=. It improves the speed of initial loading of the bible dramatically. Attached file has been updated to V1.1.

UPDATE 2 (06/14/2009): Completely new version 2.0 has been added. See post #10 below for details

UPDATE 3 (06/16/2009): I decided to work on this some more - I fixed a few errors that crept in, and made some cosmetic changes.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Holy Bible - King James Version(v3.0).epub (2.20 MB, 9710 views)
File Type: bz2 CompleteA_revised(v3.0).htm.bz2 (884.2 KB, 2494 views)

Last edited by sherman; 06-16-2009 at 03:29 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Sherman--

Thanks for this!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, I have been looking for a bible.
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Nice work!

I just loaded onto my 505 and tried it out.
The multi-level TOC is a great idea and works well.

Thanks!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd sorta forgotten about this

I ended up moving to a multi-file lrf bible, because to be honest, while this epub version worked well, it was too slow to navigate for my needs.

I'm glad some people have found it useful though.
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
woodennickel
woodennickel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Sherman,

Thank you for this epub file... While it is just the Old Testament... it works great. The multi level TOC works fine. I'd rather the multilevel TOC all in one file, then multiple files anyday... its is faster to get around this way when you are trying to follow in a sermon. (I have the 700).
woodennickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this is only the OT, the description in the initial post needs to be amended - there is certainly no mention of that fact there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I just checked using Calibre view and NT is on there.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for checking that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
sherman
Guru

New Version 2.0

Well, I decided to come back to this, as I was never happy with the speed of the original epub on my PRS-505.

I went over the HTML to fix a couple of typos that had been pointed out to me, and I fancied up the chapter names a bit (eg: "1 Kings" becomes "The First Book of the Kings" in the text itself - not the TOC).

I also added a page break at EVERY chapter in the bible - and then told calibre to split the html file at every page break. This means the epub is made up of over a thousand TINY files (most <10 KB).
I then manually edited the TOC file to optimize the epub for speed.

The result of all of this is an epub KJV Bible that is lightning fast to navigate on a Sony PRS-505. As a bonus, just like the original, this epub Bible has multi-level TOC down to the chapter level.

I have updated the first post with the new version.

Note: Like the original, this epub Bible was created with the Sony PRS-505 in mind. As such, there are no links anywhere in the file for navigation purposes, as navigation is handled entirely by the menu system.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
sherman
Guru

You'd think I'd gotten tired of this by now

Yet another new version - now at V3.0.

There were some problems with a couple of the book headings that I fixed. I also tweaked page breaks so that Book headings are no longer on a page to themselves.
last but not least, I removed the italics from all of the chapter headings.

Hope someone finds this useful

Unless I find any major problems, or someone else finds some major problems, this will be the last revision of this particular version.

Last edited by sherman; 06-20-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I've been thinking I wanted one of these. I should have known there would be one on MR.

Thanks for sharing it!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
sherman
Guru

You're Welcome

I hope you find some use for it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #14
woodennickel
woodennickel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Sherman... this is sweet... perfect....
I can read the TOC (many times is is cut off)....
and you have the sub menu for the chapters...
This is right on... thank you thank you.
woodennickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodennickel View Post
...(many times is is cut off)....
Er, what's that supposed to mean? Is there a problem with my epub, or are you talking about something else?

Quote:
This is right on... thank you thank you.
You're Welcome

Tags
bible, spiritual