Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
butitsmyname
butitsmyname began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
spanish newspapers and spanish-english dictionaries

Hi Everyone

I know I have been harping on about this but I just can't get a definitive answer (or one that works).

Since amazon upgraded my Kindle Keyboard to OS3.4 the Merriam-Webster spanish translation dictionary no longer works with it. Neither does the free EGC Spanish top English dictionary.

Bother dictionaries claim to be Spanish in the metadata. The newspapers claim to be Spanish in the metadata, but they don't work together.

Spanish books downloaded from Amazon work, but not those I've tried from Gutenburg Project - though both are set to Spanish in the metadata.

The dictionaries are set to Default Dictionary. Amazon don't even reply to my queries beyond running me through setting a defauilt dictionary each time

I would be beyond grateful for any suggestion - or even a low cost spanish-spanish dictionary I could try.

Thanks everyone

Butitsmyname
butitsmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only people that can give you an answer are amazon, since the problem appears to be in their firmware.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
butitsmyname
butitsmyname began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Oh well, it's as I thought, but Amazon won't respond on this subject. I've tried.

Thankyou anyway.
butitsmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Hello butitsmyname,

I can confirm the issue with the Merriam-Webster Spanish translation dictionary.
It was the same for me, after the upgrade (to the PaperWhite in my case) the Merriam-Webster stopped working. Its language code IS English, for sure.
However, since the upgrade, they included the diccionario de la real academia española into the default list of available dictionaries. So personally, I don't need it any longer. It actually comes in quite handy to have a Spanish dictionary with EN language code for some authors (like Steinbeck for instance ....).

What you could try is using Java Mobi Metadata Editor (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165729) and change the language code yourself. Prerequisite for that, of course, is applying the magic of Alf beforehand.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote