Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
BeBook Pure

A new very basic, thin , lightweight epub etc reader

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4688...t-ever-ereader

priced at £69
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
It is a very nice, small form, 6 inch reader that could compete well with the basic kindle. Only had mine since late yesterday but it seems very nice. I will be hammering it properly today.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds good. I've always liked BeBook readers. I thought they went bust, though - is this a new company that's bought the brand name, do you know?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It sounds good. I've always liked BeBook readers. I thought they went bust, though - is this a new company that's bought the brand name, do you know?
Yeah, same here. I loved my BeBook One. Looks like they have done a reboot under the aegis of ICIDU.

I just might pick one up.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just read elsewhere that it DOESN'T have a Pearl screen. That's a significant negative, if true.
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I've just read elsewhere that it DOESN'T have a Pearl screen. That's a significant negative, if true.
Quite! But it looks like the jury is still out on that; some specs say that it does, others that the specs don't mention it, and other specifically say VizPlex.

I can hardly imagine someone bringing a new VizPlex-based reader on the market in this day and age, though.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It could account for the low price, if they bought a batch of old screens cheaply. Whether or not it's a Pearl screen really is something we need to get clarified.

Saying that it's a Vizplex screen doesn't mean that it's NOT a Pearl screen, of course. Pearl screens ARE Vizplex (but older Vizplex screens are NOT Pearl).
Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can confirm that it is not pearl but I guess to compete with the Kindle they have had to cut a few corners spec wise. What I will say is that it is very fast and the firmware is pretty good. Has the usual range of format options so will appeal to the people like me that like things a little more free and open shall we say. It is also very small, light and the rubberised shell make it a joy to hold.

The latest basic Kindle was a game changer and the new BeBook owners have made a brave move to stay in the e-reader market. It is a good start.

EDIT
My daughter has just turned up and took one look at it and said "oooh, that's pretty."
Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for clarifying that - it's still a very good price. Does it allow you to use your own folder structure, as the older BeBook devices did?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that - it's still a very good price. Does it allow you to use your own folder structure, as the older BeBook devices did?
Yes. It has two ways of working. There is a Library view which simply lists all of the books. You can have list view or Thumbnail and sort by the usual option. It also has a favorite feature which I have yet to explore. Then there is Explorer which, as you would guess, replicates a standard file explorer. This is where your folder structure come in.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
No Pearl, no touchscreen, very limited functionality as compared to the Neo and Club. This is a very basic reader.

Here in The Netherlands, BeBook's 'home market', they sell the Pure for EUR 99. The main competitor currently seems to be the Kobo Touch, which also sells for EUR 99, but offers better hardware, and also, it seems, better firmware features.

The Pure may be a decent basic reader, but I would never pay EUR 99 for it.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
No Pearl, no touchscreen, very limited functionality as compared to the Neo and Club. This is a very basic reader.
And, to be fair, that's exactly what it's being marketed as. For £69, it's excellent value in the British market. I may get one myself as an ePub reader.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
And, to be fair, that's exactly what it's being marketed as. For £69, it's excellent value in the British market. I may get one myself as an ePub reader.
For £79 you could get a Kobo Touch, which seems a much better device. The Touch is the same weight as the BeBook, but presumably thicker.
Or for £59 you could get a Koko non-Touch.
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/KoboeReaders.aspx
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
Stormchild
Evangelist

To be fair. The Kindle and Kobo are backed by much bigger companies that, whilst not subsidising their e-readers, can afford to sell them at zero profit. Bebook need to make a profit and can only match that by offering a reader such as the Pure. I have mine and it is a fabulous little reader. Basic, yes, but it is all I and a lot of people want. It natively reads a lot more formats than the other two. My grandson has a Kindle (my idea) and it is a good device but wireless aside I think the Pure beats it. At least have a look at the device before writing it off.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It's all about fitting the tool to the task.
I have both Pearl and Vizplex-based readers and while Pearl has visibly better contrast it's not *that* much better that I would base the buy-no buy solely on it. If the reader lets you choose the display font family you can easily make up 90% of the difference just by using GEORGIA as your base font.
Touch screens I've found can be as much of a pain as a benefit. (Sensitivity issues, for one.)
I use the paging buttons on my T1 about 99.99% of the time and I really would've preferred it if the Kindle touch had the same buttons as the Kindle4.
The Pure sounds like a reasonably priced basic reader; as long as the quality holds up it should do okay... the early beBooks did fine despite the firmware of the month subscription.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote