Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
sanbap
sanbap began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for pdf organization primarily
Question Do your kids (3-18 yrs of age) read more now that they have an access to a eReader?

Hi, I am interested in finding out if children with eReaders read more compared to previous reading habits. Please take the poll only if your kids have access to a mobile reader. It's not a scientific poll by any means, but the results may be interesting.

http://www.vizu.com/poll-vote.html?n=227317.
sanbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
My 5 year old keeps grabbing my Kindle and looks interested in it, but I cant find any children's books for him to read. I would love some kind of phonics type book so he can practice his reading.

Last edited by dengar; 12-18-2010 at 09:46 AM.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
He might like the Peter Rabbit stories.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I've seen a couple stories from parents who said their kids were more likely to pick up their e-reader than a book. Some of the features (like being able to hear the story read aloud while following along) can help struggling readers too. There are some inexpensive made-for-kids ereaders out there for preschool/kindergarten age. There are picture books and such to load on them too.

E-readers and Ebooks for Kids, a Growing Trend (talks about it a bit)
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
dengar - Once your 5yo is reading, the Boxcar Children series is excellent to improve his/her reading skills. The books are numbered with the lower numbered books being easier and gradually becoming more difficult. Also, the Magic Treehouse books are good, too.

If you look in the Kindle store under Children's books there are lots of books for the younger set and I saw some early reading books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Our little dude is four and just discovering reading. My wife and him play 'letters' on her Kindle when ever he gets the chance. We got him a Vtech reader for Christmas to see how he does with that.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
No. My kids (15 and 17) haven't taken to ebooks at all - love books and reading, just not ebooks; they think they have weird parents <shrug>
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
My 5 year old keeps grabbing my Kindle and looks interested in it, but I cant find any children's books for him to read. I would love some kind of phonics type book so he can practice his reading.
I was searching Kobo for a Thomas Sowell book, and Kobo's "unique" search engine presented me with a bunch of Rev. Awdry's Thomas books that are available as ebooks.

We have this one as a pbook:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Thoma...kgQ/page1.html

and my son loves it. It is meant for a beginning reader. It does have a lot of pictures and I'm not sure how well those will translate.

The other Thomas books are all based on the videos, and I'm not sure of the quality. They are all in the $3 range and with the current holiday coupon you can pick them up at less than $2.50, so not too much lost if they aren't that good.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanbap View Post
Hi, I am interested in finding out if children with eReaders read more compared to previous reading habits. Please take the poll only if your kids have access to a mobile reader. It's not a scientific poll by any means, but the results may be interesting.

http://www.vizu.com/poll-vote.html?n=227317.
My 2yo loves books but has no interest in my various ereaders. He likes turning pages and making up stories about the pictures.

I have 2 children's books on the iPad and he doesn't like them either—he'd rather read a pbook. He loves the iPad for games, especially the puzzle app Tozzle, but doesn't like it for books.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think it is about even because it is hard to find books for the kindle that he likes. I with the Diary of a Whimpy Kind was available for the kindle...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
mckait
mckait began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
O dear. That would be tragic, imo.
I will continue to hope that kids read BOOKS and when they are older..
much older.. maybe use a device. There is something about kids and books..
All four of mine read as children and still read now. Not a device among them .. :P
mckait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
My kids are indifferent to whether books are electronic or paper. However they tend to read more paper because schools frown upon kids bringing electronic devices to school.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, reading