Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
The ebook-reader hardware market seems to be caught in a race to the bottom - just about who can churn out the cheapest reader with the same e-ink screen. Innovations? Hardly existent. Where are the readers that cater for different needs? 5" and > 6" readers? - almost gone from the market. Robust readers with large screens and large buttons for elderly people? - do not exist. Sealed readers that can be used at the beach and that do not die if caught by rain on the garden table? - do not exist. Readers with high definition screens and high-quality materials for those who are willing to spend more money on a premium reader? - do not exist.
Manufacturers seem to be paralysed by panic about low peice tablet - just as if these were really competing with dedicated readers.
I think tablets have caused the downfall of the more expensive larger screen readers. I think a lot of people would feel that a tablet is a better value and to have a reader that's just a reader at the same price as a tablet with a larger screen/higher resolution is not going to seem like a good value so it won't sell well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #92
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
but why would i buy one. i am happy with the t1 and cant see a compelling reason for upgrading. the dissapointment of the reader store still bothers me. i am finding myself having to buy books from kobo as they actually have the books i want and i can search on the site. i tried searching for michael connolly the other day on reader store and got all sorts of rubbish and none of his books - how amateurish can you get sony. i might as well make kobo my next reader as that is where i get books from and it would integrate better
I love my T1 as well, just switched from KoboTouch. Personally, and honestly, I would never go back. I've had zero problems with T1, multiple problems with Kobo. That's just my experience and wanted to share.

As for the Reader store, I have actually found things I couldn't at the Kobo store, but for ease of purchasing [being able to use Chapters gift card], and for some of the discounts you get from time to time, I mainly use Kobobooks for purchases.

Personally if the T2 performs slightly better with longer battery life than the T1, that alone would make me consider changing. However, from the looks of it in the pictures, the [shiny] bezel has been eliminated, and the overall finish appears to be matte, and that would definitely make me look a lot harder at upgrading should the right deal come around.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #93
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I love my T1 as well, just switched from KoboTouch. Personally, and honestly, I would never go back. I've had zero problems with T1, multiple problems with Kobo. That's just my experience and wanted to share.

As for the Reader store, I have actually found things I couldn't at the Kobo store, but for ease of purchasing [being able to use Chapters gift card], and for some of the discounts you get from time to time, I mainly use Kobobooks for purchases.

Personally if the T2 performs slightly better with longer battery life than the T1, that alone would make me consider changing. However, from the looks of it in the pictures, the [shiny] bezel has been eliminated, and the overall finish appears to be matte, and that would definitely make me look a lot harder at upgrading should the right deal come around.
thats interesting as i have not had a kobo just played with it in the shop. i just dont understand why sony cant provide a decent book shop experience. they are loosing money on me big time
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #94
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
thats interesting as i have not had a kobo just played with it in the shop. i just dont understand why sony cant provide a decent book shop experience. they are loosing money on me big time

Really? That's so strange. I find the search on the Kobo website is absolutely horrendous. I was curious as to when JK Rowling's new book is coming out and how much. I did a search and entered - Casual Vacancy. I got 141 returns and the first book is Sex and the Stranger: A Collection of Casual...., second was a book called Casual Sex, third was a book on grilling. I stopped looking. Their search function is awful. I just hate it. That's not the first time their search has yielded tons of useless returns for me.

I instead went to Amazon to get the info I wanted immediately.

I do buy books from Kobobooks when I can get a discount or when I have a gift card but good gracious they need to fix their search function. I consistently turn away from them because of it. I find Sony's search much better and same for Amazon. Kobo's is horrible.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #95
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Really? That's so strange. I find the search on the Kobo website is absolutely horrendous. I was curious as to when JK Rowling's new book is coming out and how much. I did a search and entered - Casual Vacancy. I got 141 returns and the first book is Sex and the Stranger: A Collection of Casual...., second was a book called Casual Sex, third was a book on grilling. I stopped looking. Their search function is awful. I just hate it. That's not the first time their search has yielded tons of useless returns for me.

I instead went to Amazon to get the info I wanted immediately.
... which is that they're asking twenty bucks. Blimey.

It's not on kobobooks at all yet, which I'm guessing may account for your lack of relevant results in this case. Though I confess I use search functions on websites not a lot; to find it on the kobo store (if it was there), I would just google <"casual vacancy" site:kobobooks.com>.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #96
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
I'm not sure. Here another screenshot in higher quality:

KLick

or look:

Yikes. Looks like the 350 and 650 still reign supreme in the asthetic department. I dont expect any major improvements whne it concerns ereaders any longer. They have everything I need and more in gereral. BUT asthetics/form factor are important and I think Sony has dropped the ball with the T1 and now the T2 when it concerns those two things. Oh well.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

It's not on kobobooks at all yet, which I'm guessing may account for your lack of relevant results in this case. Though I confess I use search functions on websites not a lot; to find it on the kobo store (if it was there), I would just google <"casual vacancy" site:kobobooks.com>.
It's not being released until September 27, 2012. This is according to Sony's eBookstore when you do a search for Casual Vacancy.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Yikes. Looks like the 350 and 650 still reign supreme in the asthetic department. I dont expect any major improvements whne it concerns ereaders any longer. They have everything I need and more in gereral. BUT asthetics/form factor are important and I think Sony has dropped the ball with the T1 and now the T2 when it concerns those two things. Oh well.
The red T1 looks better then the Kindle 4, Kindle Touch, nook, & Kobo Touch.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #99
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:

The information about her new book is available on Sony, as already pointed out, on Kindle and on the Kobo's paper book sister-site, Chapters/Indigo. It should pop up on their ebook site as well. It doesn't along with just about anything else I search for on their site. It's awful!

Having to resort to a third party search engine to find a specific book on an ebook website is well, just plain stupid and unnecessary. The search feature on the site should work without having to resort to such measures.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #100
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Having to resort to a third party search engine to find a specific book on an ebook website is well, just plain stupid and unnecessary. The search feature on the site should work without having to resort to such measures.
"Resort"? I do it because it's quicker and easier. It involves fewer clicks and keystrokes and pageloads than going to a website and then using its search engine. YMMV.

The Casual Vacancy is not showing up on the kobobooks site because it's not there, not because the search engine is FUBAR. I'm not claiming the search engine is great, just that this example tells us nothing about it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #101
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Resort"? I do it because it's quicker and easier. It involves fewer clicks and keystrokes and pageloads than going to a website and then using its search engine. YMMV.

The Casual Vacancy is not showing up on the kobobooks site because it's not there, not because the search engine is FUBAR. I'm not claiming the search engine is great, just that this example tells us nothing about it.
In my experience kobo is ok for me and certainly far superior to UK Sony store. Maybe partly due to paltry selection available on UK store.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #102
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
http://www.netbooknews.it/sony-prs-t...one-13-agosto/

In this web, they said that official specs aren't the same that appear in j&r

I wish it :-P
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #103
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
but why would i buy one. i am happy with the t1 and cant see a compelling reason for upgrading. the dissapointment of the reader store still bothers me. i am finding myself having to buy books from kobo as they actually have the books i want and i can search on the site. i tried searching for michael connolly the other day on reader store and got all sorts of rubbish and none of his books - how amateurish can you get sony. i might as well make kobo my next reader as that is where i get books from and it would integrate better
I suspect that once we have the final specs there will probably be many T1 owners happy with their current model and not planning to upgrade.

The Sony UK store just launched and probably will take time to have a large catalog available. The Sony US store has nearly everything that I want. I use Kobo when I have a coupon.

I searched on Michael Connelly in the Sony UK store and his books appeared on the list. I assume you meant the popular author with an "e" in the surname.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #104
thomasn75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I suspect that once we have the final specs there will probably be many T1 owners happy with their current model and not planning to upgrade.

The Sony UK store just launched and probably will take time to have a large catalog available. The Sony US store has nearly everything that I want. I use Kobo when I have a coupon.

I searched on Michael Connelly in the Sony UK store and his books appeared on the list. I assume you meant the popular author with an "e" in the surname.
indeed my mistake in respect of his last name. saying that there are only a few of his books there. searched for one of my favorite authors tom Robbins and they only have one of his books(saying that kobo only has 2). I dont really see why Sony should have so much trouble filling their ebook store in the Uk especially if they have a good selection in the US. I do really like my T1 but my frustration at sony sometimes makes me wonder if its worth it. It probably all stems from their disastrous sonic stage/connect mp3 software where I eventually threw in the towel and went to ipod. this resulted in me wasting a tremendous amount of hours ripping my cds(again) into itunes. sony has not learned their lesson as the reader software is diabolical.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #105
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Really? I find the T1 more aesthetically pleasing than the previous models, and the T2 even more so.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote