Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
oUTSIDER6297
oUTSIDER6297 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Fire
Unhappy PLEASE HELP!!! Korean TXT to MOBI Problem!!!

I've recently purchased an Amazon Kindle Fire and I want to add Korean ebooks to it. I have a couple Korean txt files that I tried converting to mobi using calibre but just a bunch of ? come up making it impossible to read. I have read other posts and saw that it was a character encoding problem but I just cant find a character encoding code that will fix this annoying problem. Please help!!!
oUTSIDER6297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
One method that often works with unusual encodings is copying the text to the first page of a new Sigil project, and saving it as an ePub. (Make sure to select the correct language in Sigil (Tools > Meta Editor... > Language) before saving it.
(If your text files are very large, convert them to .html files and add them directly to Sigil.)
If the Korean characters look OK in Sigil, you can convert the ePub file to a mobi file with either Calibre or Kindlegen, which accepts ePub files and tends to be a bit faster than Calbre.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
oUTSIDER6297

All right I'll try that.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
oUTSIDER6297

Thank you so much!!! It works!!! But when I open a TXT file in Sigil, it cuts some of the paragraphs into a new one. Is there a way to fix this?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oUTSIDER6297 View Post
But when I open a TXT file in Sigil, it cuts some of the paragraphs into a new one. Is there a way to fix this?
Sigil usually does a very good job converting text pasted to the clipboard to HTML. Most likely your text files contain hard line-breaks that Sigil interpreted as end-of-paragraph markers.
You may want to open the Korean text files with MS Word and have a look at the hard line breaks/paragraph marks there. (They are shown as symbols, if you enable the display of hidden formatting marks by clicking the symbol on the toolbar.)

If they're shown exactly where they're supposed to be, simply press CTRL+A to select all text and then CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard. Then open Sigil and press CTRL+V to paste the text into the first page (Section0001.xhtml).

However, if there's a symbol after each line, you'll need to globally delete these extra line-breaks in the document before copying and pasting the text.

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, korean, mobi, problem, txt