Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
will this work with K3 usb cable?

i'm suffering from panicked buyer syndrome, i swear. the closer the delivery date gets, the more nervous i become thinking that i haven't foreseen this or that problem...

now it's the battery charging. mind you i always knew i'd need an wall-socket adaptor but i figured i had one already. but now i'm afraid it won't work...

will it work with this one? it says AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 500mA.
i have no clue what it means but i already use it with my mp3 player so i figured it would with the K3. now i'm not so sure.... help?

and thanks!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle comes with a power adapter, so why worry? The main Kindle page says: "U.S. power adapter (supports 110V-240V), USB 2.0 cable". You want to make sure the specs are what the Kindle requires; it might not be safe to use something with a different amount of electricity passed through (amperage?).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm, whenever i google U.S. power adapter for kindle i get this

i'm from europe and that doesn't work for me.
i haven't ordered a separate adapter because i thought mine would work.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle comes with a power adapter, so why worry? The main Kindle page says: "U.S. power adapter (supports 110V-240V), USB 2.0 cable". You want to make sure the specs are what the Kindle requires; it might not be safe to use something with a different amount of electricity passed through (amperage?).
Amperage is NOT something that is "pushed" by the adapter/power supply. Its voltage that is "pushed".

The amperage rating is a maximum load specification. The attached device, in this case a K3, pulls or "draws" current (measured in Amps). If the device draws too much the adapter can be damaged, not the device.

The spec's listed by the OP are incomplete, though they may be all that is listed on the device. A proper set of specs will list the input values, voltage range tolerated and current drawn (amps), and the output values. The input amperage actually varies in this type of adapter depending on what is being drawn by the device attached to it. The input amperage rating is the expected maximum. The output values are the voltage "pushed" out by the device and the maximum load (amps) it can tolerate.

Any such adapter that properly replicates the industry standard USB output values should work safely with a K3. Its possible that the K3 will charge slower on an adapter limited to the standard USB current levels than it does on its own adapter. I don't know about the K3 specifically, but I have seen devices that list different charge times for their dedicated adapter and USB charging.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

ok, here's the rest of the specs as they appear scribbled on the plug:

input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 500mA.
output: DC 5.5V-0.5A

i hope that makes sense because it didn't mean anything to me so i evidently didn't think it was important.
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A simple US-to-Europe powerplug adapter does the trick. Or the official EU USB plug (Which you can get for 4.99$ instead of 14.99$ when ordering a Kindle for Intl shipping).

Cf. attached image. Amazon EU Plug vs. Amazon US plug + EU adapter.

Like you just posted, the Kindle handles a wide range of voltage, amperage and frequency (like most computers/electronic devices). AFAIK, that should cover pretty much everything, except 12V AC.

One thing I can tell you with certainty is that it *does* work fine with a simple powerplug adapter, both in the UK & in Europe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amz_eu_plug.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	57141  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-25-2010 at 01:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
I already have a single USB cable and wall plug to charge my Ipod Touch and my mobile phone. I plan to use the same for my Kindle. So Kindle will only add 8 ounces to my travel gear. No extra cable, no extra plug, etc.

I am still looking for a USB-charged shaver so that I can carry one less charger plug

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

right, so i do have to buy another adapter. i just thought i'd unstick the usb from the american charger and use it with the black one...
oh well... thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
output: DC 5.5V-0.5A
The computer USB port is 5V @ .5A. Since the Kindle manual says you can charge it using a computer USB port the gadget you have should work just fine.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
i'm suffering from panicked buyer syndrome, i swear. the closer the delivery date gets, the more nervous i become thinking that i haven't foreseen this or that problem...

now it's the battery charging. mind you i always knew i'd need an wall-socket adaptor but i figured i had one already. but now i'm afraid it won't work...

will it work with this one? it says AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 500mA.
i have no clue what it means but i already use it with my mp3 player so i figured it would with the K3. now i'm not so sure.... help?

and thanks!
Yes this will work. The US version is rated at 850mA otherwise they are the same specs. If all else fails plug it into the computer and that will charge it too. To read while it charges via a computer USB port select the Kindle and choose to eject it. That way it stays plugged in for power but no longer shows up as a storage drive.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes, if you already have a USB-to-EU powerplug, that should work too.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I already have a single USB cable and wall plug to charge my Ipod Touch and my mobile phone. I plan to use the same for my Kindle. So Kindle will only add 8 ounces to my travel gear. No extra cable, no extra plug, etc.

Travis
What are using & where did you purchase it?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
I think I am using the USB charger plug that came with an old GPS unit that I had. As far as I know, there really is no need to buy a special one. The USB cable is just one that I had laying around, I think. The Ipod touch has it's own cable (mini-USB to fit into the charger, but a special fitting to fit into the Ipod Touch).

I had heard of some folks having trouble with cheaper charger plugs with their Iphone/IpodTouch, I guess because they were not quite built to specification.

But mine is the standard USB 5 Volt output, which I believe is what the USB specification requires. It says 5.0 Volts, 1.0 Amps maximum and, of course, 100-240 Volts input. Made in China, Switching Power Supply, Model PSB05R-050Q, but no brand name (or maybe it is I.T.E. Power supply).

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
The Kindle charger is 4.9V 0.85A
My kindle 2 US charged fine with my 5V 1A adapters (solar and house current). Using those same adapters, neither of my Kindle 2 Globals will charge (the light turns orange, but the battery does not charge).

My kindkes have successfully charged with the A97 micro-USB iGo tip (in wall outlet, 12v vehicle accessory outlet, and AAA battery chargers).

So, I think it depends on the adapter.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

thanks guys for the advice! i'll sure give it a try and see how it works.