Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
turtlesoup
turtlesoup began at the beginning.

Device: Purple EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Questions before I buy a PP

UPDATE: I got the purple one in the mail yesterday, and wanted to rip myself away from reading long enough to say that it rocks. The color is a sort of metallic lavender that looks really good, and so far everything is I've tried has worked great! I'm waiting on the next firmware upgrade to mess with .lit, but even without it I'm really happy with my ezreader.

Hi. I'm considering the ezreader pocket pro as my first ebook reader, and have some questions. I like the size, the large variety of formats and font options, and the obvious commitment Aztak has to improving the firmware and customer support.

First, one of my roommates has a large library of ebooks she painstakingly converted to .lit format to use with her favorite computer reader. I get the impression .lit is spotty on just about everything, and not a great option for trying to use with ebook readers. If I use those files without converting them again, will I be able to use bookmarks and stuff on the ezreader?

Second, and much sillier-- I'm trying to decide between the slate blue and the purple. Can anyone tell me if the blue is about the same as what I see on Aztak's websites, or lighter, like I see on Newegg's website? Is the purple accurate to color too?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by turtlesoup; 03-11-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Update
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
how calibrated is your monitor

Find a Post by RobertB
That is a Slate Blue Avatar
It appears lots darker than The (forum) default blue of the Quick Reply header bar, and lighter than my PEz, on my monitor
I would describe the color as a dark blue with a Grey cast (I wonder why they call it Slate Blue? Hmmm).

BTW, your two choices, were the same as mine. Blue won by a hair.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
.lit is meant to be improved on the next firmware that is due in a week or so. I tried a few .it files but was not overly impressed. I would convert them to .epub or fb2 with calibre. It is very simple and quick. Plus bookmarking in epub at least is decent......

colors.. I have a black on. My mate has a purple one. looks good .... never seen a blue one....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
As it stands, you'd have to convert her LIT library into ePUB if you want to read it on your new PP/EZReader. After the next firmware patch comes out, LIT support should improve greatly (at least that's what Robert assures us).

Depending on the lighting, the blue could be quite bright and sleek or somewhat dull.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
Second, and much sillier-- I'm trying to decide between the slate blue and the purple. Can anyone tell me if the blue is about the same as what I see on Aztak's websites, or lighter, like I see on Newegg's website? Is the purple accurate to color too?
I can't speak re: the purple one, but to me, the slate blue is much closer to the one on the Astak website, than the one on Newegg. Of course, monitor discrepancies may make a difference.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Might help you a little. Davimee (a newly enrolled member of our group) was kind enough to post a photo the other day of a purple PP. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=13 . There was also a forum member who happened to disassemble their Slate Blue and posted pics (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/File:V5BackOutside.jpg).

From those pics you might get a better sense of which colour you prefer.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Marlenas
Marlenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Purple PocketPro
Purple, Purple, Purple rocks!
Marlenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
You may want to wait to buy one to find out how the new firmware is going. It's supposed to come out very soon, this coming week I believe and users could tell you if LIT format is now improved on the PP. But as it stands now, as others have said, you'll have to convert them to a different format.

Out of blue and purple I'd go for blue but I have a black one myself.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre (has its own forum here) can typically do a very clean conversion from LIT to ePub. It can also convert to MOBI or FB2, which are the two other formats that might be worth trying on the Pocket Pro.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I really like the purple! And it really depends on the lighting, as to how the actual color looks. In bright sunlight, it looks a bit lighter than it does in the evening with the lights on in the house. I really like the color, as it's very pretty.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
turtlesoup
turtlesoup began at the beginning.

Device: Purple EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Thanks for the help, and pointing me to the pictures! The .lit thing was more curiosity than a deal breaker, so after considering my options I decided to go ahead and order a purple one. Woo. I can't wait for it to show up.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #12
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
How exciting! I was reading mine tonight while I was waiting to pick up my daughter from AWANA and a man walked by and saw me reading. He asked how I liked it, and I said it was really nice. He asked if it was "one of those Kindle things" and I told him it was similar, but I didn't get a chance to tell him anything else as he was just passing by. I wanted to tell him it's better than one of those kindle things! *lol*
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
CCampbell202
CCampbell202 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro
It is so much better than a Kindle. My friend has a Kindle. And while she does like hers she really is impressed with the Pocket Pro's size and wieght. As it has been stated before, I can place it in a bag or pocket. With the Kindle she had to buy a seperate carrying case for it. It is so nice to carry so many books in something that is smaller than a paperback!
CCampbell202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Thanks for the help, and pointing me to the pictures! The .lit thing was more curiosity than a deal breaker, so after considering my options I decided to go ahead and order a purple one. Woo. I can't wait for it to show up.
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll love it!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
.Lit being greatly improved next week. Slate Blue versus Metallic Purple.

Quote:
Hi. I'm considering the ezreader pocket pro as my first ebook reader, and have some questions. I like the size, the large variety of formats and font options, and the obvious commitment Aztak has to improving the firmware and customer support.

First, one of my roommates has a large library of ebooks she painstakingly converted to .lit format to use with her favorite computer reader. I get the impression .lit is spotty on just about everything, and not a great option for trying to use with ebook readers. If I use those files without converting them again, will I be able to use bookmarks and stuff on the ezreader?

Thanks for reading!
Dear Turtlesoup:

Welcome!! A new firmware upgrade is said by the factory to greatly improve the .LIT format on the device. That should be available for free on our website next week.

Slate Blue is a dark blue with sort of a greyish tint. It is gorgeous.

The Metallic Purple is SO hard to describe. It clearly is NOT a purple. It is my biggest problem trying to explain it. It is our least understood color as people think it is purple and it is so much more. It is a light purple with somewhat of a silverish tint. It clearly is NOTHING like a pink. It is somewhat similar to a purple post-it note. It is gorgeous.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote