Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi!

Of course not a PDF. PDF & EREADER --> PROBLEM ;-)
At least if you do not have one of the old Sony-readers. They have had abolutely stunning PDF-reflow which really worked.

It's a normal reflowing AZW-file in the pictures above, without something special concerning layout. Just as it is and was in 99% of all books.

My Voyage ist Kindle number two and firmware number 'a lot of'. Layout has always been this way. With JBPatch it was possible to change margins and override Amazons 'idea' of what is a good layout.

But not any more as You know I presume.
Once again, I was just checking the obvious things, not intending to offend.

I did start a thread and start some work on bringing JBpatch back into service -
But that collected approximately 0% interest.
So I have shelved that project, at least for now.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I should use more of the to stressout that I feel no offence. Nothing farer than that.

I wonder why JBPatch did collect no interest. I think everyone who ist interested in jailbreaking for whatever reason should be interrested in this hack.

It gave the possibility to change core-functions of an eReader (layout) and do not waste time playing with gatget-like things like playing chess on an ereader (nothing against it).

In my opinion an eReader should focus on one thing and one thing only:

Displaying text with an maximum on aesthetic concerning layout and fonts. Which is sometimes in the eye of the observer. But then give the possibility to change it your way.

Or at least do not hinder people to find own ways to do that.

Edit:
One word on the revival of the JBPatch:
If I had the knowledge I would be interrested in resurrection. Bad sadly, I'm not able to do that.

In case of SONY readers there has been a similiar patch/framework to make other patches possible with the same idea - not to alter original files but 'wrapping' them with new code which was more or less simple to read, alter and install.
On that framework I was able to contribute an enhanced user-interface with more options.

Last edited by Analogus; 01-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could just go back to version 5.8.5 - which I am using and it lets the margins be set as shown in your avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2017_01_08T16_47_14-0500.png
Views:	225
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	154031  

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Try minimum margins not maximum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Try minimum margins not maximum.
His thumbnail is showing German and he was looking at changing the margins for Great Britain English.
Hey, its Amazon, of course they have different margins for different locales.

It is something called: "Contract Programming"
You get paid for 'shipped lines' -
Both the lines you write for the current version +
The lines you have to write to get rid of your last version of a bad idea.

Done properly (from the viewpoint of the person cashing the paycheck) -
You can get paid for putting the lines in and for removing them later in favor of a substitute.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Cinisajoy:
I do use minimum settings and this leads to more or less to the picture postet by @knc1 above.

Which is +- acceptable. But that is not the point. The point is, that here is potential for doing something BETTER. 'Better' ist to have more than one joice.
More than one joice is possible by changing the configuration for all 3 margin-settings.
As it was possible with JBPatch.

In case of font-sizes it is solved (thanks very much for the solution!) by changing the predefined sizes.

In my case I use this numbers:
6.9 7.25 8.33 9.58 11.02 12.67 14.57 16.76

Every following size is 15% larger than the smaller one. In this case I am now able to use all 8 sizes in my 'reading-life'. Simple because it now fits to me.

In case of the margins they do not fit to me. I just use one out of three. And this is what I want to change.

To make it short:

I want to change the predefined margins...

Last edited by Analogus; 01-08-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Every following size is 15% lager than the smaller one. In this case I am now able to use all 8 sizes in my 'reading-life'.
- - - -
A rational choice with a reasonable outcome.

Don't expect to sell your idea to Amazon, they prefer randomized choices.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #23
Analogus
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
...they prefer randomized choices.
You are more than right. I ever wondered why the sizes feel so 'unexpected'...

Maybe because Amazon comes from the USA?

In Europe, for example, units are very simple. There is (not Great Britain, but this is another storry) simple always a 10^n between different units. 10, 100, 1000, ...
1 Kilogramm is 1000 Gramm, 1 Meter is 10 Dezimeter or 100 Zentimeter, ...
Have a look at the unit-conversion between inches, miles, gramm, grain, ounces, pounds, yards, gallons, ...
THAT is random.

Just joking!

Last edited by Analogus; 01-08-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Cinisajoy:
I do use minimum settings and this leads to more or less to the picture postet by @knc1 above.

Which is +- acceptable. But that is not the point. The point is, that here is potential for doing something BETTER. 'Better' ist to have more than one joice.
More than one joice is possible by changing the configuration for all 3 margin-settings.
As it was possible with JBPatch.

In case of font-sizes it is solved (thanks very much for the solution!) by changing the predefined sizes.

In my case I use this numbers:
6.9 7.25 8.33 9.58 11.02 12.67 14.57 16.76

Every following size is 15% larger than the smaller one. In this case I am now able to use all 8 sizes in my 'reading-life'. Simple because it now fits to me.

In case of the margins they do not fit to me. I just use one out of three. And this is what I want to change.

To make it short:

I want to change the predefined margins...
My apologies, I misread your post as you were using the MAXIMUM margins, not that was the MAXIMUM the text would go.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
You are more than right. I ever wondered why the sizes feel so 'unexpected'...

Maybe because Amazon comes from the USA?

In Europe, for example, units are very simple. There is (not Great Britain, but this is another storry) simple always a 10^n between different units. 10, 100, 1000, ...
1 Kilogramm is 1000 Gramm, 1 Meter is 10 Dezimeter or 100 Zentimeter, ...
Have a look at the unit-conversion between inches, miles, gramm, grain, ounces, pounds, yards, gallons, ...
THAT is random.

Just joking!
Well you nailed that on the head.
12 inches = 1 foot 5280 feet= 1 mile 36 inches = a yard.
8 ounces =1 cup 2 cups = a pint 2 pints= 1 quart 4 quarts= 1 gallon.
I'm not even going to get into grains, grams, teaspoons and tablespoons.

Not to mention dry cups measure different from liquid cups.

I attempted to make it less random and failed.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #26
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
Quote:
Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256969

Search thread for:
FONT_RAMP
It seems that the "FONT_RAMP" way to adjust font size doesn't work on KPW3 with firmware 5.8.7
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #27
sprite7
sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I've wrote a detailed instruction months ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3272458
sprite7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite7 View Post
I've wrote a detailed instruction months ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3272458
Does not include 5.8.7, which is the subject here.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #29
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
It seems that the "FONT_RAMP" way to adjust font size doesn't work on KPW3 with firmware 5.8.7
FONT_RAMP only applies to books in KF8 format, not MOBI or KFX. Any books purchased from Amazon and delivered to a device running 5.8.7 will most likely be sent in KFX format. Check the format of your book if FONT_RAMP doesn't work for you.

(The 5.8.7 firmware has some code to support CONTENT_FONT_RAMP as the equivalent to FONT_RAMP, but for KFX format. Unfortunately, a debug flag that is set to "false" prevents it from actually functioning in the released firmware.)

Last edited by jhowell; 01-09-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add info
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
sprite7
sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Does not include 5.8.7, which is the subject here.
Wasn't tested on 5.8.7, but it still may work on it (why not since it worked for 5.4.x-5.6.x). And one can downgrade firmware using jailbreak anyway (I use 5.6.2.1 currently).
sprite7 is offline   Reply With Quote