Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #436
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Can I ask what you mean by 'more religion'? I have this series and pushed it way up my TBR pile so I'm very curious.
Nora, the main character, is a devout Catholic and has some really interesting discussions with other characters about her beliefs. Her religion is very much a part of her even though she's an erotica writer and kinky herself. One of the other major characters is also very Catholic. It's not the preachy kind of religion, which as a non-Christian I hate reading. The religion isn't really a plot point but it's definitely a layer of certain characters.

Quote:
That's great, such a good feeling when you hit a streak like that! I just did too, and thank goodness because just before that I had a streak of 5 DNF in a row!
Ugh! After 5 DNF, I'd be so sad! I don't think I've ever had more than one at a time.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #437
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I started reading Naked in Death and wow it is every so slow! Police Procedurals are just not my thing but I am soo curious about Roarke who everyone always talks about. The futuristic stuff is throwing me off as Nora is not great on describing the world around Eve.
I found it to be slow at the beginning as well, but it does pick up the pace eventually. The romance also gets a lot hotter in the next couple books.

I pretty much second what library addict has been saying even though I'm not as far along in the series.

I've found that with the In Death series, I can't read them back to back or the similarities stand out too much. This is the case with a lot of series for me, but for some reason, it's particularly glaring with this series. I have to read at least one different book in between or risk getting sick of them.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #438
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
There's some new $0.99 Entangled bargains today. The first 9 on the page are new bargains.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #439
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
There's some new $0.99 Entangled bargains today. The first 9 on the page are new bargains.
They're not all the "same" cover Yay!
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #440
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
They're not all the "same" cover Yay!
Different lines. . . Ignite, Covet, Edge. Brazen and Indulgence still following existing format.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #441
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Different lines. . . Ignite, Covet, Edge. Brazen and Indulgence still following existing format.
Yeah. The Brazen covers and the Indulgence covers tend to all look the same as each other (within each line) to me. I am always having to double-check the title/author to ensure if I have already purchased and/or read a particular book.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #442
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
Nora, the main character, is a devout Catholic and has some really interesting discussions with other characters about her beliefs. Her religion is very much a part of her even though she's an erotica writer and kinky herself. One of the other major characters is also very Catholic. It's not the preachy kind of religion, which as a non-Christian I hate reading. The religion isn't really a plot point but it's definitely a layer of certain characters.
I'm more of a spiritual than religious person per se so I to do not like being preached to. Glad it's not a plot point because I'd probably not read it then.

Quote:
Ugh! After 5 DNF, I'd be so sad! I don't think I've ever had more than one at a time.
I know right? It was crazy, but then right after that, in the best kind of crazy, I had 7 4-star reads in a row. What were the chances.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #443
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I just did too, and thank goodness because just before that I had a streak of 5 DNF in a row!
I just had something similar... stared reading a book, and after 5-6 pages I just couldn't stand the writing style and had to stop reading and give up on the book. Four times in a row during my lunch break. For the second work day in a row.

I need to find better free books.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #444
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I found it to be slow at the beginning as well, but it does pick up the pace eventually. The romance also gets a lot hotter in the next couple books.

I pretty much second what library addict has been saying even though I'm not as far along in the series.

I've found that with the In Death series, I can't read them back to back or the similarities stand out too much. This is the case with a lot of series for me, but for some reason, it's particularly glaring with this series. I have to read at least one different book in between or risk getting sick of them.
Thanks. I will remember that. It's really hard for me to read this. It's like every crime drama I've ever watch only set in a futuristic world. Nothing new and the lack of world building makes it difficult not to mention the subject matter...serial killers just are not my thing. If this was not Nora Roberts who wrote this it would be a DNF for me. I don't care about the mystery. I like cozies for the humor and light whodunit but this is so not my cup of tea. I fell asleep reading it! That is a first for me. yeah I find it extremely boring and hard to believe Nora wrote this.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-25-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #445
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks. I will remember that. It's really hard for me to read this. It's like every crime drama I've ever watch only set in a futuristic world. Nothing new and the lack of world building makes it difficult not to mention the subject matter...serial killers just are not my thing. If this was not Nora Roberts who wrote this it would be a DNF for me. I don't care about the mystery. I like cozies for the humor and light whodunit but this is so not my cup of tea. I fell asleep reading it! That is a first for me. yeah I find it extremely boring and hard to believe Nora wrote this.
Given all you've said, it's hard to imagine you're ever going to like the series. If you really want to read the Roarke/Eve story, could you skim over the other parts.

One of the problems I have with the series is how utterly gleefully Robb puts you in the head of the serial killer/rapist and some of the scenes go on and on and on.

But I still read each and every one when they come out (or listen to the audiobooks). But I skim certain scenes (or fast forward). Because one of the things I *love* about this series is being able to see the growth of the relationships.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #446
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Given all you've said, it's hard to imagine you're ever going to like the series. If you really want to read the Roarke/Eve story, could you skim over the other parts.

One of the problems I have with the series is how utterly gleefully Robb puts you in the head of the serial killer/rapist and some of the scenes go on and on and on.

But I still read each and every one when they come out (or listen to the audiobooks). But I skim certain scenes (or fast forward). Because one of the things I *love* about this series is being able to see the growth of the relationships.
That's a problem I do not skim ever. It's a huge no-no in my book. So I will trudge on and hope it gets better. Right now I struggle with the world building most. Like Eve's weapon what the heck is it? Guns are outlawed? It a stun weapon but what does it look like. Missing details are driving me crazy! And the Skyways? Is everyone just doing the Jetsons now or are the there roads in the sky?!? Stuff like that keeps me baffled. I like to imagine the world as I read it and I just feel so lost like I am tuning in on a series in the middle of it.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 AM   #447
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i read the first book in the in death series years ago and didn't care for it. read one sequel and called it a day. susan erickson's narration is what makes it work for me. i wasn't thrilled with her roarke, but it's far better than a lot of female narrators do male characters, and i can tell if it's any of the recurring characters usually within a couple words. susan erickson also doesn't make lots of pauses for effect (or so they can read ahead for a minute) like so many other narrators - her dialog is paced like people talking.

btw, i admit that i do skim over the sex parts. after all, they're all pretty much the same, down to the wording.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #448
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i read the first book in the in death series years ago and didn't care for it. read one sequel and called it a day. susan erickson's narration is what makes it work for me. i wasn't thrilled with her roarke, but it's far better than a lot of female narrators do male characters, and i can tell if it's any of the recurring characters usually within a couple words. susan erickson also doesn't make lots of pauses for effect (or so they can read ahead for a minute) like so many other narrators - her dialog is paced like people talking.

btw, i admit that i do skim over the sex parts. after all, they're all pretty much the same, down to the wording.
Really? I found many female narrators that do male voices well compare to her. Lorelei King, CJ Critt, Lauren Fortgang Abby Craden, Xe Sands are a few and I really like Rachel Vivette even though she only done three books so far. People need to hire her. I can name a few more I have a list on my computer but I'm posting this from my Nexus and to skim the love scenes well that is the only interesting thing I've read so far. This book is boring! I'm 66% in so got about 3 hours left. I can do this! I'm then going to read something lighthearted and romantic to counteract the depressing story.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #449
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i read the first book in the in death series years ago and didn't care for it.
I think I DNF'd it. I found it boring and didn't like the relationship between Eve and Rourke.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #450
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
So that brings me to this. I think Bound put me in a book funk. *sigh* There is just nothing I know of even similar out there so I don't know what to read next and I have till March 25th so I can't be in a book funk so I need something to grab my attention but what?!?

Any one know of any books where the hero is a Martial Arts Instructor?
I came here to recommend a book but it turned out to the be the same one you just read I guess it must be good--I just bought it from Kobo with my non-US account with a coupon
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote