Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Has Kobo improved enough to get in the race? I had the original and it was a nightmare.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
Has Kobo improved enough to get in the race? I had the original and it was a nightmare.
I had the Kobo Touch but it was buggie. They kept trying to get the FW to work right, but only made it worse. So I returned it. I think outside of Canada they don't have much of a following. I certainly don't consider them a major player.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #33
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I got rid of my Kindle Touch because touching page turning by accident was a flaw I could not overcome. I am supposing the PW would present the same problem for me. :-(
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I got rid of my Kindle Touch because touching page turning by accident was a flaw I could not overcome. I am supposing the PW would present the same problem for me. :-(
Actually, the IR-based touch sensors can pick up a "touch" with your finger just near the screen. A capacitive screen requires you to physically touch the screen. It might be better for you.
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
wrenn1
Addict

Oh thanks. That is good to know.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #36
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Does paperwhite eInk screen overcome the extra layer?

I have not seen apaperwhite kindle yet. My question is for those who have one or have had time to look closely at one.

A capacitive screen has an extra layer between the reader and the actual display for the touch part of it. Is the paperwihite eInk display enough of an improvement that the extra layer does not detract from the image quality or distract the reader when compared to an IR-based touch display?

kees
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
A capacitive screen has an extra layer between the reader and the actual display for the touch part of it. Is the paperwihite eInk display enough of an improvement that the extra layer does not detract from the image quality or distract the reader when compared to an IR-based touch display?
I see no degridation with the PW, nothing that makes me notice it looking worse than my Kindle Touch when compared side by side. Note this is a capacitive touch which IIRC is a sprayed on chemical as opposed to a resistive touch like the pre IR Sony's had.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #38
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
If someone has both a PW and the new Amazon cover, I wonder how well they work together in the hands of real people.

Does the cover ever touch the screen when you close it? I'm thinking it could turn the page on you if it bumps that touch screen.

Is it easier to hold the Kindle with the cover on it? How about folding the cover back and holding it? Good grip? Can you hold it with one hand and still turn pages with the same hand?

How well does the Kindle fit in the new cover? Do you think it would survive being dropped or does it seem likely to fall out when dropped? (Please don't experiment on your own Kindle for my sake, just hoping for an estimate from someone who has one actually in the cover.)

Does the magnetic holder really work to keep it shut or does the little light pop on sometimes?

Does the cover interfere with Wi-Fi reception?

Just one more. Can you reach the manual on/off switch and/or the volume controls with the cover on the Kindle or do you have to take it out to reach them?

Just wondering in case someone has both and a little time for a review of the cover. It's an expensive item and I was just wondering if it's worth it. Thanks all.

Last edited by 6charlong; 10-02-2012 at 09:13 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@6charlong: the design is almost identical as the Touch cover (minus the mag clip), so most of us can already answer you:

* Nope, not touching the screen. It didn't do a thing with an IR grid, so it's even less likely to cause issues with a capacitive touch layer .

* Some people do find it easier to hold with the cover, yes. On the other hand, it does add some weight to the whole thing, that might be worse than the possibly better grip for some. The flap does fold back & stay there, and I personally use it like that, and really, really like it. No issues one handed, although that's not my style.

* It fits completely. It's actually probably harder to take it out of the cover than put it in . Don't think it helps much with drops, though, but then not much does. It has the slight bonus of adding some padding to the sides and protect the screen, but that's it.

* Can't speak about the only thing new in the PW cover .

* Not at all.

* Yep, there's a cutout. No physical volume controls, but the jack/usb port/power led/power button are obviously part of that cutout .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
KPW does not have audio capabilities. No volume to adjust.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
damn, those photos just yelled "buy me now!" to me. Still, I think I can endure a whole year or 2 before taking the bait.

indeed my e-ink screen looks like pulp when compared to that
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I had the Kobo Touch but it was buggie. They kept trying to get the FW to work right, but only made it worse. So I returned it. I think outside of Canada they don't have much of a following. I certainly don't consider them a major player.
From what I can see they are the second biggest in the UK after Amazon. They are a major player there.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is highly subjective. Everyone has hands which are unique.
You protested the sole criticism in the review but ignored the absurd pro-kindle inaccuracies. For example (and these are from the same review you quote):

Quote:
The Kindle Paperwhite is a pivotal step forward for the technology of ereaders. It makes previous generations feel like a pulpy paperback held up next to an ornately illustrated tome.
Yeah, right. It's got a built in light and a slightly higher res screen than previous kindle models. The nook and the kobo have the light and the kobo has the same hi-res screen. Absurd.

And

Quote:
The change to capacitive touch from IR is a bigger deal than it sounds.
Duh. The main ereaders haven't used a capacitive touch screen in three years. The IR screen was introduced by Sony three years ago! The reviewer clearly doesn't have a clue.

The Paperwhite is nice and a small step forward and includes features that I want. But lets not get over-excited. It's not that big a deal.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wonder how long it will take until the international version is ready. I'm ready to buy.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #45
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
That says "hands on" in the title. Hands on and review are not the same thing. The article accompanying it doesn't do much more than list the specs.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote