Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Bug report: @kovid: .original_mobi files seen as unrecognized in library check system

The Launchpad bug system kept giving me a "missing referrer header" error, so I thought I'd post this bug report here.

The library sees the .original_mobi automatic backups, added in 0.8.11, as unrecognized file types and recommends that I delete them. These should not show up in a library check, or at least they should be marked as backup files.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah forgot about Check library, thanks, fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
The library sees the .original_mobi automatic backups, added in 0.8.11, as unrecognized file types and recommends that I delete them. These should not show up in a library check, or at least they should be marked as backup files.
This is a good discovery.

Just one note so as to not confuse folks these are not backup files. These are the original files and only created when a Same format to Same format conversion occurs. Preserving the original format in case the conversion does something you don't expect. If you try new conversion options this original format will be used, by default, as the source file for that conversion.

I might be picking nits, but I have found other folks referring to these as backups when this is not their purpose, intention or function. A regular backup of the library is still something folks need to do to ensure they can recover from a catastrophic loss.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is a good discovery.

Just one note so as to not confuse folks these are not backup files. These are the original files and only created when a Same format to Same format conversion occurs. Preserving the original format in case the conversion does something you don't expect. If you try new conversion options this original format will be used, by default, as the source file for that conversion.

I might be picking nits, but I have found other folks referring to these as backups when this is not their purpose, intention or function. A regular backup of the library is still something folks need to do to ensure they can recover from a catastrophic loss.
I already knew most of that, but I have one question. Suppose I convert a.mobi to b.mobi and then i convert to c.mobi. Calibre will automatically use a.mobi to convert to c.mobi? Even if I intended for this to be a two-step conversion process? Is there any way to prevent this besides turning off the feature entirely?

@KovidGoyal: Thank you!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Ypu can always delete (or rename) a.mobi. That would cause calibre to rename b.mobi as the orginal and create the new c.mobi.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you do not want the original_mobi to be used, simply delete it via the formats list in the edit metadata dialog.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you do not want the original_mobi to be used, simply delete it via the formats list in the edit metadata dialog.
Okay. Thanks! Neat feature. I certainly have ruined an original book a number of times through conversion.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Fixed in 8.12 ?

Hi Kovid & all
Still get this "error" using 8.12
Did the fix make it into 8.12 or do I just have to wait until 8.13 ?
Thanx all for great work, and cooperation !
Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

0.8.13 .
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
lunixer
Addict

The .original_mobi also shows up on the right-hand bar as one of the available formats. That should probably be invisible as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
The .original_mobi also shows up on the right-hand bar as one of the available formats. That should probably be invisible as well.
No. I like seeing it there. Helps me remember if I reconverted anything.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That is deliberate. It allows you to for example, easily open the original file by clicking on the format. And as sadievan says, it can be useful information.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
lunixer
Addict

I found another bug and it seems so small that I didn't want to open another thread, so I thought I'd put it here. (I don't know why, but Launchpad seems to hate my browser/OS/computer or something).

If you go to preferences->conversion->common options->heuristic processing->"ensure scene breaks are consistently formatted" the tooltip has a typo. It says "withhorizontal" on the fifth line and there should be a space between the two words. That's it.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Fixed
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
automatic mobi backups ????
was that mentioned in the release notes ?

oops - yes it was !

never mind. great feature though, I recall asking for it ages ago, didn't realize it has happened.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-03-2011 at 12:06 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote