Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #16
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD
Just an update. I ended up having to log out and log back in and therefore rebuild the database (which I didn't want to do) but I at least found a quick fix for the books not being in the collections like I want. There's a table in the KoboReader database called ShelfContent. I was able to export that table from the corrupt database and import it into the new database (where it was blank) and everything appeared back on my shelves. The only downside is that nothing is in the order I want it even though the date is in that particular table.

If anyone knows of a way to get the books in the right order by date they were last accessed or even date they were originally uploaded, I'd be very appreciative.
JDesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:37 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesat View Post
Just an update. I ended up having to log out and log back in and therefore rebuild the database (which I didn't want to do) but I at least found a quick fix for the books not being in the collections like I want. There's a table in the KoboReader database called ShelfContent. I was able to export that table from the corrupt database and import it into the new database (where it was blank) and everything appeared back on my shelves. The only downside is that nothing is in the order I want it even though the date is in that particular table.

If anyone knows of a way to get the books in the right order by date they were last accessed or even date they were originally uploaded, I'd be very appreciative.
From memory, the date in the ShelfContent isn't used for sorting. The "Date Added" sort is the date the book was added to the device, or more strictly, when it was imported by nickel. The "Recent" sort is the latter of the date added and the last read date. (I need to check that. At one time it was the "LastReadDate" if it was not null, and the "___SyncTime" if it was. I haven't checked for a while.)

If you want to change the orders, you need to modify the "___SyncTime" of the books entry in the content table. When importing sideloaded books, this timetamp is set for each book as it is added. For a batch of sideloaded books, which includes the import after signing in, the books are added with the same timestamp in "___SyncTime" and sorting by "Date Modified" or "Recent" will sort the books by title within ___SyncTime (assuming no books have a value in "DateLastRead").

As I mentioned above, the Kobo Utilities can set the ___SyncTime using any of the dates in the calibre library. I normally use the "Date" column as that defaults to the date the book was added to the library and is roughly the order I add them to the devices. This is part of the "Update metadata in device library" function.

For the collections, if you did that from calibre, it will mean that it automatically gets recreated after any issues like this. And, there plugin has a way to fetch the existing collections into calibre which you can then send back.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:30 PM   #18
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
This is part of the "Update metadata in device library" function.
Thanks for this, I kept looking at the options for store/restore and having no clue what to change to add the date, knowing it was a completely other option helped! And it worked! Thanks!
JDesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #19
Rid
Zealot
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can setup the Kobo Utilities plugin with Calibre to backup your Kobo database to the computer every time you connect your Kobo to your library. That way you'll have a fairly updated database backup. That way you can restore it if you have another database corruption.
if only I knew about this before

Had the same error msg as the OP and did 2 resets today because I thought it was overkill to manually backup the DB every time I connected to Calibre today!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #20
aymeric106
aymeric106 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymeric106 View Post
Strange I have the same issue.
Never happened before.

Just after upgrading to the latest firmware and uploading a new book with calibre.

Tried with various SQLLite editor without success.
I reseted my Kobo, but the error came back eventually, after a few transfer.

Will try with another USB cable, but file copy had no issue.

Aymeric
I reseted once again, and made several sync with another cable, and had no issue this time.
aymeric106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #21
godling77
godling77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I got that database error as well, only with the Libra 2. Haven't seen it anymore once I started ejecting before unplugging, if that helps.
godling77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by godling77 View Post
I got that database error as well, only with the Libra 2. Haven't seen it anymore once I started ejecting before unplugging, if that helps.
Which is as expected. The recommendation for all devices mounted as USB MSD devices is to eject them. Just pulling the cable out will cause problems sooner or later.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And FWIW, I always use calibre eject to safely eject the device and wait for the icon updates on the home screen to update before unplugging the Forma. And I do get the something is wrong message from windows.

I just tried it again, and on the first connect I had calibre open and got the message. I then tried several connects/safe disconnects and didn't get the message.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #24
Joliet Jake
Connoisseur
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I always eject. However, occasionally the computer stops communicating with the Kobo and I might "lose" some or even all books. Fortunately in the last week when that happened, simply reconnecting the Kobo fixed the problem (all metadata was reloaded).

It's making me think of updating to a Libra 2 or a Sage just to have a USB-C device.

Since there were no jobs at the time I'm confused why that even happens.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #25
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've suddenly started having a similar issue with my Forma, with the added issue that the Forma will sometimes do a Factory Reset on its own. I've already tried a new USB cable and different USB port, with no results. Question: When I connect the Forma, the screen flickers when connecting. Is that a new issue, or did I just not notice it before?
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:43 AM   #26
Joliet Jake
Connoisseur
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
I've suddenly started having a similar issue with my Forma, with the added issue that the Forma will sometimes do a Factory Reset on its own. I've already tried a new USB cable and different USB port, with no results. Question: When I connect the Forma, the screen flickers when connecting. Is that a new issue, or did I just not notice it before?
I think it's new.

I've had my Forma do a kind of "soft reset" on me. I saw the three dots but only lost Series. Reconnecting to Calibre fixed that.

I have a fancy cable x2 (USB-C on both ends, with built-in adapters) but my Forma does not like the micro-USB adapter. I also found an older micro-USB cable whose micro-USB end had been bent. Micro-USB is just so finnicky. I figured my Kobo would show it's age first via power issues, not micro-USB issues.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote