Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Truncated file

Attached are an ePub and an HTML file zipped.

When the HTML file is loaded into Sigil, the book is truncated about 1/3 of the way into the book leaving out the last 2/3 of the book.

I can find nothing in the HTML file, at the truncation point or elsewhere, that would cause this. Would one of you fellows please take a look and guide me out of this screw-up?

Charlie of the Dumb Question
Attached Files
File Type: rar zipfiles.rar (506.9 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by crutledge; 09-12-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: I figured the CSS file might bee handy!!
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Attached are an ePub and an HTML file zipped.

When the HTML file is loaded into Sigil, the book is truncated about 1/3 of the way into the book leaving out the last 2/3 of the book.

I can find nothing in the HTML file, at the truncation point or elsewhere, that would cause this. Would one of you fellows please take a look and guide me out of this screw-up?

Charlie of the Dumb Question
there is the etc etc symbol call in the next para. that caused the first truncate ( I changed that and hit another truncate about a 100 lines later.
(Notepad++ is your friend)

Code:
<p>"While I was still standing, turning to stone at the assertion that Fräulein
  Flora had already disposed of all her dances, my indignant eye chanced to light upon a face I had
  overlooked before--perhaps because it could not ogle and grin as some can--and now I saw a pair
  of large soft eyes pitifully fixed on mine, which seemed to say: 'Why did you never look our way
  before?--we could have warned you long ago, to beware of icebergs,' &c. &c.--all that
  eyes can say. So I resolved to be a fool no longer, and I walked across the room, look you, with
  a dignity--"</p>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
In the paragraph in 'Walter's little Mother' following < p > "As--for instance--?" < / p > where it breaks, there's two '&c.' which is probably what's causing the break, it needs to be fixed there.

Edit: too slow.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please explain.

I know that the & is part of symbol code but have never noticed it in text before. Interpreters are strange and wondrous things.

I replaced the & with the HTML code and did indeed fix the problem.

It gets curiouser and curiouser.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Tidy really hates anything that looks like an entity but is not. "&c." should be "&amp;c.".

I've already modified Tidy to recover from sole ampersands, unknown entities, entities ending with ":" instead of ";" and many other known user errors. But this one's new. I'm guessing it stops parsing since it's looking for the closing ";".

I'll try and see what can be done with this as Yet Another Entity Edge Case that Tidy should be handling.

Oh, and thanks for reporting this.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-12-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tidy in trunk has now been modified to handle this error.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Tidy in trunk has now been modified to handle this error.
Does this mean that if I download the latest from the homepage I'll have the fix?

I've been using HTML Tiny which has the following option:

Quote:
Output unadorned & characters as &amp;
Now that I know why, I'll turn it on.

Thanks, Valloric.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
Does this mean that if I download the latest from the homepage I'll have the fix?
From the ReportingIssues wiki page.

Quote:
When your issue is marked as “Fixed”, please understand that the problem will be fixed in the next version of Sigil. You cannot just download the current version right after the issue is marked as “Fixed” and expect that the problem will now be gone. The next version of Sigil will have this fix, and the amount of time from the moment a fix is created to the moment a new version is released may be considerable! Have patience.
So no.

Quote:
I've been using HTML Tiny which has the following option.
That option doesn't work. I know, it's silly that you can "turn it on" and have it do absolutely nothing, but that's what it does. I had to implement that by hand in the Tidy version included with Sigil. Here's the diff.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-13-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
crutledge
eBook FANatic

[QUOTE=Valloric;1107833]
That option doesn't work. I know, it's silly that you can "turn it on" and have it do absolutely nothing, but that's what it does. I had to implement that by hand in the Tidy version included with Sigil. QUOTE]

I have tried to contact the creator of HTML Tiny about some other problems but have received no reply. Do any of the versions, e.g. HTML Tidy, work well? They do make PG files easier to read and I have run across no errors as yet.

I find it hard to believe that with the present state of computer science and computer engineering that instant updates are not available.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that with the present state of computer science and computer engineering that instant updates are not available.
Someone still has to make the updates. Tidy development has been dead and buried for many years now. Nobody's working on it.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You are!

How many changes have you made to it?

capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
You are!

How many changes have you made to it?

Way too many, for sure.