Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
CelesteGB
CelesteGB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Red face Cover help for a newb :)

Hey all

I'm slowly working my way through learning how to operate my PRS-600 and have also downloaded calibre. I'm making mistakes but hey, if I can't try to break things, how can I understand how they work?

Ok, let me start with covers. I first purchased The First Apostle from booksonboard in Adobe Digital Edition.. However, the cover I have is only a plain cover and not the nifty one from the site. I then copied the pic and changed it to pdf format and used calibre to browse and insert the cover which I converted. However, when I download the book, to my device the cover doesn't show up. What do I need to do to see the cover? I feel like I'm missing a step. Is it because of the DRM?

Also, when I use calibre to download a cover, sometimes it isn't available, which I find strange considering it's a brand new book. Finding the cover seems to be a hit-and-miss propisition for a couple of the books I have. Why is this?

One last thing, in my messing around, I have acquired several copies of books in calibre and would like to get rid of them but of course, I get the message it will delete it permanently from my pc. Needless to say, I don't want to permanently delete it, I just want to clean up my calibre library How can I safely clean up my library without deleting it from my pc?

Please go slow with me...I'm just learning the ropes

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CelesteGB; 10-26-2009 at 12:03 PM.
CelesteGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteGB View Post
One last thing, in my messing around, I have acquired several copies of books in calibre and would like to get rid of them but of course, I get the message it will delete it permanently from my pc. Needless to say, I don't want to permanently delete it, I just want to clean up my calibre library How can I safely clean up my library without deleting it from my pc?
Hey Celeste. Select the books you want to delete from your library and hit "Save to disk" and choose the location you want to store them. Then you can delete them and calibre will only delete its copy from your pc.

Last edited by Superlucky; 10-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
CelesteGB

Yay! Thank you! I also figured out where to find the ISBN number and was able to download the cover properly. I still wonder though why it's easy for some books to retrieve the info but not for others (The First Apostle) which are much newer.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
CelesteGB

Ok, I have figured some of this stuff out. I figured out how to locate and change the ISBN; however, when I download the book from calibre to my reader, the cover doesn't show up. What am I missing? It *is* showing up in my calibre library though.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Ok, I have figured some of this stuff out. I figured out how to locate and change the ISBN; however, when I download the book from calibre to my reader, the cover doesn't show up. What am I missing? It *is* showing up in my calibre library though.
The covers in calibre are a separate file used for browsing. If I'm not mistaken, those files aren't sent to your device because the device doesn't know what to do with a separate cover file. Are you wanting to see the cover as the first page of the book when you start reading?
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
CelesteGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
The covers in calibre are a separate file used for browsing. If I'm not mistaken, those files aren't sent to your device because the device doesn't know what to do with a separate cover file. Are you wanting to see the cover as the first page of the book when you start reading?

That's sort of what I thought was happening but yes, I would like to...it sort of sets the mood How can I do that? Is there a separate help section for that?

(I also figured out d'uh why I couldn't bring up The First Apostle...the title had underscores in it. I'm learning though)

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
That's sort of what I thought was happening but yes, I would like to...it sort of sets the mood How can I do that? Is there a separate help section for that?
You would have to edit the file itself, which would involve breaking the DRM. Check out the workshop forums.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
CelesteGB

Wait...do I go into Preferences and ask it to NOT save the cover separately?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Wait...do I go into Preferences and ask it to NOT save the cover separately?
I don't think that will help. That option only applies to the "Save to disk" feature.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If the book is in Calibre, I believe the DRM has already been removed? Or am I not thinking correctly. When I download a cover for a book, I usually convert the book to an LRF (I use LRF because I like my book text to be justified and as far as I know that can't be done in ePub) and I have it set to include the cover in the LRF (or it does it by default) so when I download the book to my PRS600 it has the cover image.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
If the book is in Calibre, I believe the DRM has already been removed?
Calibre does not remove DRM and is capable of managing books that have it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I knew that Calibre didn't REMOVE DRM, but I wasn't sure if it could use books that had DRM or not. Thanks for the clarification.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote