Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Amanda5177
Amanda5177 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Question Save to Disk Template

I would like to organize the books on my disk by Title, then Author. I have tried several save templates...none of which have worked.

Can anyone give me the save template for this?

I dont understand the template editor, and the tutorials are way above my head. So ive been forever searching the internet for this save template, and cant find one....I wouldnt think it would be so hard. lol.
Amanda5177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
@BetterRed gave you instructions with a screenshot on your other thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313388

Again, note that you cannot change the way Calibre stores the books inside its own library. This would only affect the filenames of ebooks exported using the Save to Disk function.

Basically, if you want filenames like this:

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Use this as the template:
Code:
{title} - {authors}

If you want filenames like this:

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice

Use this as the template:
Code:
{authors} - {title}
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can NOT control how Calibre stores the Library.

The Template Language is used when sending to OTHER DEVICES.
Please read the FAQ section of the help page, thus saving you time and frustration.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda5177 View Post
I would like to organize the books on my disk by Title, then Author. I have tried several save templates...none of which have worked.

Can anyone give me the save template for this?

I dont understand the template editor, and the tutorials are way above my head. So ive been forever searching the internet for this save template, and cant find one....I wouldnt think it would be so hard. lol.
Firstly, afaik the the syntax and semantics of caliibre's template language is peculiar unto calibre itself, so you won't find much beyond what's in the manual and here at MR.

Secondly, methinks you are misinterpreting what Save to Disk does:

The options in Preferences->Saving to disk do not define how subfolders and files are stored in the Library folder. The 'algorithm' used in formulating the folder and file names and structure within the library folder is hard coded and it is not going to change.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this subforum that explains why. In essence: because calibre supports many file systems which have their own unique limitations and idiosyncrasies it was necessary to devise a fixed set of rules that will work on all the different file systems that calibre supports.

The Save to Disk tool saves a copy of what is in the library book folder in a location (device and parent directory) that you select when you use the tool. It uses the Preferences->Saving to disk->settings, including the specified Save template. The Save template defines the names and structure of subfolders and files in terms of metadata lookup-names, such as authors, title, publisher, #audience etc

A major objective of the calibre ebook library manager is to relieve users of the need to organise their books in a rigid folder/directory file name structure. The library manager can present a library in just about any way one can imagine, and to do so as and when required. I suggest you watch ==>> Kovid's demo video.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #5
Amanda5177

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can NOT control how Calibre stores the Library.

The Template Language is used when sending to OTHER DEVICES.
Please read the FAQ section of the help page, thus saving you time and frustration.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html

OMG!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Holy crap, wish I would have heard from you hundreds of hours ago. LOL...i shall move on now. Thanks!
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
Amanda5177

Wow....im starting to think Calibre is above my level, lol. jk. Thanks so much.....that helps alot. I am going to watch the viudeo now! Wish there were more tutorial videos. Though, I havernt thought to search for them till now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Firstly, afaik the the syntax and semantics of caliibre's template language is peculiar unto calibre itself, so you won't find much beyond what's in the manual and here at MR.

Secondly, methinks you are misinterpreting what Save to Disk does:

The options in Preferences->Saving to disk do not define how subfolders and files are stored in the Library folder. The 'algorithm' used in formulating the folder and file names and structure within the library folder is hard coded and it is not going to change.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this subforum that explains why. In essence: because calibre supports many file systems which have their own unique limitations and idiosyncrasies it was necessary to devise a fixed set of rules that will work on all the different file systems that calibre supports.

The Save to Disk tool saves a copy of what is in the library book folder in a location (device and parent directory) that you select when you use the tool. It uses the Preferences->Saving to disk->settings, including the specified Save template. The Save template defines the names and structure of subfolders and files in terms of metadata lookup-names, such as authors, title, publisher, #audience etc

A major objective of the calibre ebook library manager is to relieve users of the need to organise their books in a rigid folder/directory file name structure. The library manager can present a library in just about any way one can imagine, and to do so as and when required. I suggest you watch ==>> Kovid's demo video.

BR
Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
. . . wish I would have heard from you hundreds of hours ago. LOL...
You did - more than 600 of 'em ==> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...39&postcount=3

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is a Librarian (among other things). If you use the GUI to locate, and check-out (send to your reader), you have no need to know abour even where it keeps stuff. Calibre even made doing a FULL backup (books,setting and metadata, easy.. Right-click the Library icon:Export/Import all claibre data. (there are faster ways, but those take knowledge on usage and what/where to get it correct)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Wow....im starting to think Calibre is above my level, lol. jk. Thanks so much.....that helps alot. I am going to watch the viudeo now! Wish there were more tutorial videos. Though, I havernt thought to search for them till now!
I tend to think of the calibre library as a black box with a big warning sign: "Authorized personnel only". As long as I can stuff my books and metadata in and out, I don't worry about what's going on inside the box. It makes my life much easier.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-09-2019 at 01:11 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
frustrated, help needed, save format to disc, template language