Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you disassembled your Reader?
Yup -- I just couldn't help myself. 3 15.00%
Sacrelige! I would never disassemble so fine (and costly) a piece of hardware! 10 50.00%
I just want to see the poll results. 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Who's taken their Reader apart?

Don't worry, it's an anonymous poll.

I'm just curious how many of us have succumbed to the temptation.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've got to be kidding. I have enough trouble changing a light bulb .

Haven't you got anything better to do than this on Christmas day?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Normally, yes, but we're not doing the family gathering/opening 'til about 2 PM, so ....

Say, what are you doing here?

I'm about to shut down before my wife catches me, so Merry Christmas to all!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As long as it works and others have posted pictures I do not feel a need to open it just to open it. If something goes wrong I would have no problem opening it if I felt that I could make it right again.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Normally, yes, but we're not doing the family gathering/opening 'til about 2 PM, so ....
I tried to show off my Sony Reader at our family gathering today, but my family, who are all voracious readers, were not impressed. They politely admired it, but that's it. I think it was because the lighting was not the best, so no one could see it. (Even when I showed my mother a great photo of her 1950 wedding, her admiration was just a polite comment...)

They were much more impressed by the "real" (i.e., paper) books that I brought as part of the "family book exchange" that we do every time we get together....

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Haven't you got anything better to do than this on Christmas day?
HarryT -

Happy Boxing Day!

One of my fondest memories of England was flying from NY on Christmas Day and landing at Heathrow on the morning of the 26th. We drove to our hotel in Salisbury, passing up a meal on the highway, not realizing that *everything* would be closed in Salisbury. Even the hotel could not give us food because we had not ordered it in advance.

Our solution? We found a pub and it did not have food but the folks in the pub were all local people. They were so warm and welcoming, we had one of the best afternoons we ever and we didn't miss food at all. They made such a fuss over us, it was great!

Later, we managed to find a pizza place open and we enjoyed our dinner there. The workers seemed to be of Pakistani or Indian descent, so I guess they were willing to work. It saved us from having to go out on the highway for a meal.

We were really very admiring of the fact that people in England who celebrate the holiday actually take time off. In the States, too often the stores and restaurants force people to work on the holidays. (I know, I used to be in retailing.)

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
So I guess what Betty is saying is that we need to get more people of Pakistani or Indian descent to come to the States to work on Christmas. In that way people in the States who celebrate the holiday would not be forced to work and could take the time off. I do wonder why did they not find any people of Pakistani or Indian descent to work at the local pub. I hope that the pub workers were not being forced to work.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE
HarryT -

We were really very admiring of the fact that people in England who celebrate the holiday actually take time off. In the States, too often the stores and restaurants force people to work on the holidays. (I know, I used to be in retailing.)

Betty
Hi Betty,

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Yes, virtually all restaurants are shut on both Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but Boxing Day is when most of the big stores start their "sales", so they are open. Virtually nothing - other than a few petrol (gas) stations is open Christmas Day.

I very much doubt you'd find many Indian or Pakistani people running a pub, because neither Hindus nor Muslims consume alcohol .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
Over Christmas,THREE people at a ski restaurant came over and asked me about my Sony Reader (Killington, Vermont). I was pleased.

My brother-in-law, however, seems fixated on reading in the bathtub and refuses to be impressed.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hadn't thought about reading in the bath. I'm a shower person myself, but the occasional, relaxing bath is nice and reading is a must. Anybody try this with their Reader yet?

And to get back on topic--the last poll options should have been "Not yet, but soon/someday" or something similar. So I didn't vote.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There was a post sometime back about putting the Reader in a waterproof plastic sandwich bag for reading in the tub.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Yep, came across it after reading this thread.
That thread is here.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote