Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Angry Free books, not for international users

Hi

I just find the free books offer on B&N website, but not for international users

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free...?cds2Pid=25159

"Visit any Barnes & Noble store and show your NOOK or mobile device to one of our booksellers, and receive a voucher for the FREE eBook."
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
B&N do not sell to customers outside North America.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
milan
milan began at the beginning.

Device: none
tip: use a proxy server. Alternative, use Tor network. Makes your IP seem like it's from another country, Tor actually encrypts the content sent over the network. Never tried myself, but should work in theory. Its real easy to setup Tor too. Just download Tor Browser bundle, it comes with Firefox preconfigured for Tor. You only start the exe and you are already undercover in under a minute.

A client for Android platform was released a few weeks ago. Any news about its availability on the Nook device itself?
milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I use hotspot shield when I buy books from B&N and for downloading their free Friday books. all I have to do is click on one icon and then just shop like anyone in the US..

how easy is that

I have not found a book seller yet where this does not work...
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, Milan. But it's an outrage that 'the rest of the world' must jump through hoops like performing poodles to buy from the big online stores and collect the freebies, which are not really 'free' at all, of course, but paid for from a promotional budget provided by ALL those who buy ebooks and the devices to read them on. It is blatantly dishonest for companies sell us their hardware and tootle their horns about their stores without telling buyers outside the USA that they're not invited to the party. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
You can't go to a B&N shop by proxy or hotshield lol
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yup, Milan. But it's an outrage that 'the rest of the world' must jump through hoops like performing poodles to buy from the big online stores and collect the freebies, which are not really 'free' at all, of course, but paid for from a promotional budget provided by ALL those who buy ebooks and the devices to read them on. It is blatantly dishonest for companies sell us their hardware and tootle their horns about their stores without telling buyers outside the USA that they're not invited to the party. Neil
It's my understanding that B&N doesn't sell the nook internationally, so then why would you expect them to sell their ebooks internationally, too? International sales is a complicated business as potentially books are published by different publishers than the NA publisher B&N has an established relationship with.

As others have mentioned there are of course ways around the whole international thing, but the basic principle is that B&N doesn't sell its reader device or ebooks internationally, so you can't reasonably expect they'd make their free books available internationally, IMHO.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Hi

I just find the free books offer on B&N website, but not for international users

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free...?cds2Pid=25159

"Visit any Barnes & Noble store and show your NOOK or mobile device to one of our booksellers, and receive a voucher for the FREE eBook."
One solution is to go to the boards at bn.com. In the Nook discussion thread, people have been requesting codes for each of the 5 week free book promotions. You can request a code in the specific post, and if someone has one, they'll PM it you.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've gotten all of the free B&N eBooks. I may not bother with this last one as it's a business book and sounds rather dull.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***It's my understanding that B&N doesn't sell the nook internationally***

Hya Bookwerm: A quick trip around the forums here will show that there's no shortage of folks outside the US who innocently bought the Nook. I wasn't singling out B&N, though, this nonsense can be found at many stores. I wasn't told when I bought my Sony in the UK, for instance, that I could not use the Sony store.

My own catalogue of about 120 titles, for instance, is largely available in all online stores (paperback and ebook formats). Less than half our authors are in the US and -- if there weren't alternatives like our own BeWrite Books store -- they and their friends would not be able to download ebook versions (and sometimes because of geographical restrictions which make no sense when a publisher holds international rights to all forms of presentation).

I'm not saying that device manufacturers will be able to solve the retail problems simply or quickly ... only that they should come clean and spell out retail restrictions.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
milan
milan began at the beginning.

Device: none
The geo restrictions are silly in any case. When I travel abroad or buy printed books online, these restrictions don't apply to me. Why the limitation in the digital form?!
milan is offline   Reply With Quote