Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #121
askanioff
askanioff began at the beginning.

Device: Pockebook 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlM View Post
Can anyone help with this problem?
I get the same problem with my 603 bought from pocketgoods.de and 2.0.3 firmware (among many others).
I install the new 2.0.4 firmware and everything went ok.
Mine is the euro version:
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...2.0.4_user.zip
askanioff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #122
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
web browser problems in PB903

Most annoying bug when useing the webbrowser in PB903 is that there is no way to scroll a page vertically, as far as I can see: it is not possible to put the pointer on the vertical dragbar. The best thing I have managed to do is to put the pointer on the left edge of the scroll bar: the effect is that at best nothing happens, and at worst you in effect end up clicking on the nearest link to where the mouse is pointing, so rather than scrolling you end up in some unwanted page.

So the only way to scroll the page down is to use the "down" arrow just below the OK button - but here you can scroll at best two lines at a time (even less with larger font size), which of course is not really practical.

Bug n.2 with the webbrowser: won't remember any change in settings from one session to the next.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #123
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
annotation of djvu file ignored - 903

Pocketbook 903, Firmware, 2.0.4

djvu files appear to be displayed in colour mode independent of the settings in the annotations of the djvu file. djview on linux respects this and displays only the BW. many djvu files from archive.org have a non white background and the djvu files and the pdf files are not readable on the device.

For me this is a major bug (missing feature) as the reason for buying the 903 over the kindle was the djvu file.

A second bug, now related to FBreader: FBreader ignores inline CSS styles and even simple and old styles like <font>.

What is the point of claiming "html,djvu" and many more filetype support if the most basic specs of those formats are not implemented? Surely the djvu bug is even more severe than the html bug.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #124
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
A second bug, now related to FBreader: FBreader ignores inline CSS styles and even simple and old styles like <font>.
In my experience with PocketBook, FBReader is not very useful if you care about CSS. You'd be better off converting your HTML to EPUB with Calibre and opening the EPUB with AdobeViewer, not FBReader. AdobeViewer is nowhere near as flexible but it does understand CSS.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #125
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouy View Post
HELP NEEDED

first question :
On my pocketbook IQ.
i ve been upgrading the firmware and since i can't reech my wifi it'es not in the list, i m shure it's on because i ve got others devices connected on it.

second question : how to i copy a file on the device from a sd ? where to deplace the file ?

The PB IQ won't detect a wifi network that isn't being broadcast, if your wifi network is hiding the SSID you won't be able to connect to it, I'd check that first, should be fine then.

If I understand your question correctly you want to copy files from the SD card to the IQ's internal memory, you can do that with the file manager 'OI file manager' or when connected to a computer with a usb cable, just select the file from the removable drive the SD card comes up as then copy to the other removable drive/folder the internal card comes up as.

I haven't copied files over to internal storage but the pocketbook701 folder has several subfolders that look like good places to put various file types like books, music, photos, videos, etc.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #126
ffred
Enthusiast
ffred began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
I don't know if this is a bug or whether I have a defective unit on my PB IQ 701. My screen intensity shifts erratically from bright to less bright (not quite dim). It isn't something new, it has always behaved this way (new on 12/23/2010). Anyone else with this problem?
ffred
ffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #127
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffred View Post
I don't know if this is a bug or whether I have a defective unit on my PB IQ 701. My screen intensity shifts erratically from bright to less bright (not quite dim). It isn't something new, it has always behaved this way (new on 12/23/2010). Anyone else with this problem?
ffred
You don't have the automatic brightness checked do you? I never tried that and don't know how/if it works, also not sure if it was default on or not.

I keep my screen brightness on the lowest setting it only changes for me when it boots, seems to be on some default setting then darkens to my setting after the White Pockbook 'welcome' message somewhere when the ANDROID is being shown.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #128
ffred
Enthusiast
ffred began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
That's the problem. I unchecked "Auto Brightness" and have had no problem since. I prefer the manual control, especially as I read a lot in a darkened (or even a dark) room. The slider does exactly what I want it to do. Problem solved.
ffred
ffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #129
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Pocketbook 602 pro freezes if one uses the in-book dictionary often. It occurs after opening the dictionary. The cursor stays in the middle of the page and won't move. The light remain green forever. One needs to power off the device to get the machine back to life.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #130
erverg
erverg began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 602
I recently bought the PB602 (immediately updated the firmware to 2.0.3) and I must say it is really awesome, even though it is my first reader and I encountered a few issues :

1. It froze while opening the in-book dictionnary while reading an epub comic book (hence without selectable text, but still with words which I don't know the meaning...). Reboot put things in order.

2. But after that (I don't think this was related to point 1) some of the other ebooks (epub file as well) I am currently reading won't open unless I delete the bookmark in it. When attempting to open them, whether it is from my library, the recent reads or the bookmark in the notes menu, the screen just refreshes but nothing happens. The book comes on top of the recent reads list though.

3. Sometimes when I turn off the device, the hourglass remains on the screen. Not really a serious issue since it is well turned off apart from that.

4. Am I doing it wrong or is there a limited number of tags allowed in the library ? And is it possible to view the series too ? I edit both tags and series with Calibre.

Thanks.
erverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #131
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
erverg

Welcome to Mobileread....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #132
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
hallo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
Pocketbook 903, Firmware, 2.0.4

djvu files appear to be displayed in colour mode independent of the settings in the annotations of the djvu file. djview on linux respects this and displays only the BW. many djvu files from archive.org have a non white background and the djvu files and the pdf files are not readable on the device.
you mean that color scanned pdf as those from archive.org are not readable?
that is not a good thing to discover just after having ordered a pb902, as my library is mostly composed of this kind of files.
can someone confirm this and/or suggest a workaround?
thanks
t
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #133
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
teofrast

Welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #134
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
hallo,

you mean that color scanned pdf as those from archive.org are not readable?
that is not a good thing to discover just after having ordered a pb902, as my library is mostly composed of this kind of files.
can someone confirm this and/or suggest a workaround?
thanks
t
Hello and welcome,
first things first: don't be frustrated. Many pdf files on archive have been enhanced to be of a very high quality and those files are excellent to read on the 903 or the 902. Especially the files which are prepared to be displayed on books.google.com have been much better quality than they used to be.

However, my bug report comes from the fact the almost all other files on archive, which are scanned as colour images are barely readable on the 903. If you like I can take some pictures. Sure, it depends (as always) on the particular file but I have many which are barely readable.

I would recommend you will get the djvu files (if available of those files) instead of pdf. If you're not familiar with djvu I can go and explain this awesome file format briefly or you look up the wikipedia article. In one sentence: djvu files _can_ have separated layers (e.g. one for the background and one for the foreground and then there might be even an invisible text layer which is there so that you can search inside of scanned books (providing the invisible text layer has been created by OCR)). Further there is a mask which defines what is on one page background and what is foreground. The background is stored with high compression and the foreground with less loss of detail.

So in principle, if you've downloaded the djvu file instead of the pdf file you can simply choose to display the foreground or the mask. And this will give an excellent contrast. This is implemented in the djvulibre libaries as well as in many djvu file viewers. Just right click and select the layer you want to see.

The bad news: the djvu viewer of the pocketbook doesn't provide this option to the user. However, I've looked into the specifications and you can add annotations for the viewer which layer to display. Guess, what: the pocketbook 90x ignores these additional informations as well (I wrote a script to modify my djvu files to have this additional information and all djvu file viewers (apart from evince in linux) just obey these comments and just display the file b/w or the foreground (as chosen).

But not so the pocketbook.

Actually, I've went so far and looked up the source code of an older version of the djvu file viewer on pocketbook (http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.n...urcecode.shtml). There in line 266 of main.c it says:

Code:
        mode = DDJVU_RENDER_COLOR;
now comparing this to http://djvulibre.sourcearchive.com/d...pp-source.html
you can see that the other viewers provide options:

Code:
if (flag_mode == 'f')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_FOREGROUND;
  else if (flag_mode == 'b')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_BACKGROUND;
  else if (flag_mode == 'c')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_COLOR;
  else if (flag_mode == 'k')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_BLACK;
  else if (flag_mode == 's')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_MASKONLY;
  else if (flag_format == 'r' || flag_format == '4')
    mode = DDJVU_RENDER_BLACK;
of exactly the ones you want to chose. E.g. black and white, mask only or Foreground.

So you see it should be pretty straight forward to implement this change on the pocketbook but as long as pocketbook doesn't get the point that this is necessary we will never get an updated firmware. And there is a big discussion in this forum that they should release the SDK very soon so that the community can have a play with the software and fix the bugs (or add features) as they want.

Now, for me, I didn't want to wait until they publish the SDK. I just want to read with my ebook reader. But how am I supposed to do this if many files are barely readable.

To cut the long story short:
I've written a script which modifies all my djvu files in a very sophisticated way. It extracts all layers of the original djvu file (including the invisible text layer). Then it removes the colour layers and rebuilds the djvu file with the remaining layers. And you can't believe what a difference it makes on the reading experience.

I haven't published it yet as I haven't heard a feedback by others on the djvu reading experience. Especially when it comes to the files from archive.org. However, if you and others are interested I'm more than willing to upload it.

This surely doesn't mean that this bug shouldn't be fixed in the firmware by pocketbook but at least there is an excellent workaround until they sort it out.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #135
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
hallo GeoffC,

review,
thank you for your kind and detailed answer. I discovered djvu just one week ago when, after years of intensive reading on lcd, I decided I had to find something easier on my eyes, and started considering ereaders. it seems a very clever format, and, when possible, I'll definitedly move to it from now on. problem is my existing library, as I wouldn't like to waste reading time in converting gigabytes of data. the more, my area of interest is very far from mainstream literature, so it's mostly simple scan with no editing and quite hard to make it undergo OCR. is there a way to edit the problematic colour pdf scans and make them b/w?
as new pocketbook customer, I wholeheartedly support your request to pocketbook to fix the FW and make it fully compliant to the formats declared in the advertising. I bought pb902 solely to read pdf and djvu from gallica, googlebooks and archive.org, assuming from their statement that those formats were supported.
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote