Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Posted in the wrong place.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Am I being unbelievably unimaginative, but with a web browser and the native eBook reader built in, added to the refresh limitations of an e-Ink display, what possible apps could be worth the investment required to develop them?

I don't get this. I didn't believe the "Amazon are panicking" arguments before - I think I do now!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The hacks we have for the Kindle would become official apps (maybe even better versions).
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The hacks we have for the Kindle would become official apps (maybe even better versions).
Yisss!

Whilst some may seek fortune others will do it for the sheer challenge.

I'd pay a reasonable amount for a really versatile screen saver app and perhaps more for an app that allows me to get my ebooks well organized as I like them on both my PC and the Kindle.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Maybe Crosswords or Sudoku?

Imagination is trying to crank up!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Yisss!

Whilst some may seek fortune others will do it for the sheer challenge.

I'd pay a reasonable amount for a really versatile screen saver app and perhaps more for an app that allows me to get my ebooks well organized as I like them on both my PC and the Kindle.

Those of us at MR and the like are already hooked in (because we were the beta testers). Those not in the know would be introduced to these lovely apps at a fair price (99 cents?).
Old 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post

Someone has a Kindle friendly Sudoku site, maybe they can make an app out of it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Am I being unbelievably unimaginative, but with a web browser and the native eBook reader built in, added to the refresh limitations of an e-Ink display, what possible apps could be worth the investment required to develop them?
The current Kindle may have refresh limitations of e-Ink...but maybe Amazon is just laying the groundwork for their future devices...before someone else crashes the party
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:

I bought Sudoku at the Kindle Store for 1 cent. Haven't tried it yet, but figured at that price, why not?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70657

Kindle Apps Wish List.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Is this a confirmation of Merisole (the color eink)?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Format Convert Overdrive Library Books

Our number one source for eBooks is our public library - at least 90%. While MobiPocket checkouts are not too difficult to get on the Kindle...

A conversion tool on the Kindle from ePub DRM and PDF DRM to MobiPocket (AZW) DRM would be awesome - even if just limited to Overdrive.com

Oh, and please add the functionality back from MobiPocket to tell me how many days left I have on my library eBook on my Kindle.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is great news. Opening the kindle is awesome news. I have waited for SONY to do this for two years with no avail.

Their pricing model is interesting they seem to imply subscription base apps model be required if the developer plans on providing the user with data feeds. One time downloads can avoid this charge it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Some of the restrictions are silly (no VOIP? there isn't a mic, so how would it work, other than attempting to listen to voice mail?). They haven't restricted downloading audio, so I suspect there will be charges for all custom app downloads
You have to be a bit more creative remember it has a USB and many microphone/headsets have Usb connections
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I have waited for SONY to do this for two years with no avail.
Actually wondering now if B&N will open up the Nook-since it runs Android, an SDK is already available.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #30
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Alot will depend on how Amazon implements their SDK but I can easliy image something like Calibre running directly on the Kindle.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote