Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Calyth
Calyth began at the beginning.

Device: None
How well does the Opus handle textbooks on PDF

Hi,

I've been looking at some ebook readers lately, and the Opus looks right (I could put up with the cost, and it's in a handy form factor).

How well does it handle textbooks on PDF? I read a lot of computing science textbooks, and I find that stuff like Stanza on iPod Touch tends to mangle formatting.

Thanks!
Calyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
5" or 6" will usually have trouble reading pdf. If that's your main use, an illiad, or kindleDX would be more appropriate.
Even in landscape, writing is most of times tiny. Or you have to zoom, and go left-right at every line you read.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Calyth

That's the thing, at the price of an Iliad (even book edition), I could get a nice netbook for that price. Trade off would be battery life and can't read all that well under the sun....

Unless there's a nice site for me to find ebook devices for cheap....
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
A very nice netbook
Yeah, the illiad are expensive. Where are you living anyway ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Calyth

Ottawa
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
But computer-science books are generally neither very large nor that heavy on graphics and should fit quite well into a 800x600 area, right? Eventually we would have to trim the paper-margins of the pdf file because the readers are not able to zoom-in and keep the zoom after the page-switch.
I plan to do the same and will probably get the prs-600 when its out here in germany.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Calyth

Yeah, that margin can be annoying, especially when stupid books tends to have assymetrical margins for even-odd pages.

I just wouldn't mind a e-book reader that can either at the zoom out view that won't mangle diagrams, or at the zoomed in view where I could read text without squinting and giving myself a headache.