Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Error communicating with device

I was connected wirelessly to Calibre and I deleted a book from my Nexus 7 using Calibre, fixed the book and sent it to my device a few times. After the 2nd or 3rd delete a msg popped up that Calibre had an error communicating with the device and the connection was broken.

I sent the CC debug log and I also attached a debug log from Calibre by email.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I sent the CC debug log and I also attached a debug log from Calibre by email.
I got the calibre debug log, but the CC debug log was empty. Could you send the CC debug log again? Thanks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I got the calibre debug log, but the CC debug log was empty. Could you send the CC debug log again? Thanks.
Sent.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now this is getting frustrating. Something is removing the text of the attachment. I see a message that claims to have a debug log attached and actually has the email headers for it, but the actual attachment text has been deleted.

The headers are:
Code:
------H5S02AYIYX33JCQLVZPMSY3YL0IWGH
Content-Type: message/rfc822;
 name=".calibre.companion.debug.log.txt"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename=".calibre.companion.debug.log.txt";
 size=410556
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

MIME-Version: 1.0

------H5S02AYIYX33JCQLVZPMSY3YL0IWGH--
The text of the debug log should be after the MIME-Version line.

It appears that you are sending it through yahoo with K-9 mail. Is it possible to send it through google and/or with the gmail client? I don't know if that will fix it, but who knows.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now this is getting frustrating. Something is removing the text of the attachment. I see a message that claims to have a debug log attached and actually has the email headers for it, but the actual attachment text has been deleted.

The headers are:
Code:
------H5S02AYIYX33JCQLVZPMSY3YL0IWGH
Content-Type: message/rfc822;
 name=".calibre.companion.debug.log.txt"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename=".calibre.companion.debug.log.txt";
 size=410556
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

MIME-Version: 1.0

------H5S02AYIYX33JCQLVZPMSY3YL0IWGH--
The text of the debug log should be after the MIME-Version line.

It appears that you are sending it through yahoo with K-9 mail. Is it possible to send it through google and/or with the gmail client? I don't know if that will fix it, but who knows.
I just sent it twice - once using CC thru the settings menu and my gmail account. I sent it again using K-9 with my yahoo email manually without going thru CC
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just sent it twice - once using CC thru the settings menu and my gmail account. I sent it again using K-9 with my yahoo email manually without going thru CC
An embarrassment of riches! I received both of them. Thanks for your persistence.

It isn't far from midnight here. I will look them over in the morning.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
An embarrassment of riches! I received both of them. Thanks for your persistence.

It isn't far from midnight here. I will look them over in the morning.
Ok. I sent it again using K-9 manually to see if maybe it was a problem just with sending in using CC.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

This has been an interesting bit of analysis.

The bottom line: both sides think that the other side went away. Calibre says that CC received a message then didn't respond correctly. CC says that it did respond to that message, then calibre simply disconnected.

My guess is that there was a "network event" that broke the connection. Possibilities in no particular order:
  • Your device momentarily lost contact with your wifi router.
  • Your device went to sleep (although CC tries to prevent this).
  • Your machine running calibre momentarily lost contact with your network.
  • A bug in Android's or your calibre machine's networking code that caused an empty packet to go from CC to calibre (this is unlikely).
  • A bug in the client networking libraries that caused an empty packet to go from CC to calibre (also unlikely).

Thanks again for sending these logs to me. If nothing else I am learning where we need to improve logging.

BTW: you are not running the latest CC, V3.3.4. There aren't many changes between V3.3.3 and V3.3.4 so updating isn't urgent, but it is worth doing.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This has been an interesting bit of analysis.

The bottom line: both sides think that the other side went away. Calibre says that CC received a message then didn't respond correctly. CC says that it did respond to that message, then calibre simply disconnected.

My guess is that there was a "network event" that broke the connection. Possibilities in no particular order:
  • Your device momentarily lost contact with your wifi router.
  • Your device went to sleep (although CC tries to prevent this).
  • Your machine running calibre momentarily lost contact with your network.
  • A bug in Android's or your calibre machine's networking code that caused an empty packet to go from CC to calibre (this is unlikely).
  • A bug in the client networking libraries that caused CSI: Crime Scene Investigation empty packet to go from CC to calibre (also unlikely).

Thanks again for sending these logs to me. If nothing else I am learning where we need to improve logging.

BTW: you are not running the latest CC, V3.3.4. There aren't many changes between V3.3.3 and V3.3.4 so updating isn't urgent, but it is worth doing.
I was listening to streaming music at the time so if there was a network event it would have had to be short because it played fine. It only buffers 5 or 6 seconds so it would have been shorter than that. I know the tablet didn't go to sleep, so we can count that out.

It seems that the times I've had connection problems usually involves deleting and resending multiple times. I now always run Calibre with debug so if it happens again I'll have the logs.

I did notice CC needed updating last night after sending this, thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I found a possible cause, but unfortunately it can't be fixed definitively. It is possible that if CC connects to calibre while complex jobs are running in calibre then the network connection can be "perturbed". What exactly the perturbation might be is unclear, but the possibility exists. In your log I see that several worker processes were running and starting at the time you connected, which is what led me to identifying the possible problem.

I have changed calibre to reduce the interval of vulnerability-to-perturbation, which might help.

I too always run calibre in debug mode so that I can have some idea of what happened when something rare happens. I am glad that you do too.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I just had another problem with the connection. I connect wirelessly every day to get my news feeds so this doesn't happen very often. This morning I noticed the CC had the message asking Calibre what metadata it needs was displayed on my tablet for too long so I went to my pc and it showed all the books that are on my device but Calibre had Get list of books on the device as the job running and that ran for 5 m 3s before I got the following error:
calibre, version 1.35.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 1222, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 632, in _receive_from_client
TimeoutError: There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time

I'll send both the CC and Calibre debug logs. I did connect again successfully, but I cancelled the connection on CC the first time because I had the previous error msg from Calibre up that I needed to copy and I didn't know if it would go away or cause a problem. That was at 11:34 am and the initial problem happened at 10:39 am.

Edit: I don't see the CC debug log where it belongs, so I sent just the Calibre log for now. I'll send the CC log later when I get back home.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 05-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just had another problem with the connection. I connect wirelessly every day to get my news feeds so this doesn't happen very often. This morning I noticed the CC had the message asking Calibre what metadata it needs was displayed on my tablet for too long so I went to my pc and it showed all the books that are on my device but Calibre had Get list of books on the device as the job running and that ran for 5 m 3s before I got the following error:
calibre, version 1.35.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device
As always, thanks!

There were some changes in calibre 1.36 that might help here. Probably not, but in any event the changes will cause errors to be reported faster. No hurry to upgrade, but if you feel like it ...
Quote:
I'll send both the CC and Calibre debug logs. I did connect again successfully, but I cancelled the connection on CC the first time because I had the previous error msg from Calibre up that I needed to copy and I didn't know if it would go away or cause a problem. That was at 11:34 am and the initial problem happened at 10:39 am.

Edit: I don't see the CC debug log where it belongs, so I sent just the Calibre log for now. I'll send the CC log later when I get back home.
The debug logs were moved to Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/files/calibre.companion.debug.log.txt to avoid the log being read-only if a person upgrades to kitkat with the library on an SD card.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As always, thanks!

There were some changes in calibre 1.36 that might help here. Probably not, but in any event the changes will cause errors to be reported faster. No hurry to upgrade, but if you feel like it ...
The debug logs were moved to Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid/files/calibre.companion.debug.log.txt to avoid the log being read-only if a person upgrades to kitkat with the library on an SD card.
I sent the CC log. I'll probably just wait for Friday's release to update Calibre.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I sent the CC log.
Unfortunately it hasn't arrived. Sigh ...
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately it hasn't arrived. Sigh ...
I replied to your msg so I don't know why. Just sent it again.