Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #361
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I can say is that the folks at GoodEReader just have no clue how to do a good video review.
No argument there.

I've looked up a several reviews on the internet and of those which show photos of text being displayed they all show that gawd awful super large line spacing. I'm inclined to think that is just the way it was designed. The text really doesn't look that dark either. Light text is more difficult to read. And WTF were they thinking with that stupid double-V shaped unit back?!? That will make for a very thick case/cover. The Kobo Touch I briefly owned had a bubble-wrap texture on the unit's back and that was annoying. This back looks even more annoying.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #362
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've looked up a several reviews on the internet and of those which show photos of text being displayed they all show that gawd awful super large line spacing. I'm inclined to think that is just the way it was designed.
The options for customization shown in the video gave me the impression the line spacing was adjustable. Glo owners, feel free to confirm or contradict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
OK, now what sounded like a beautifully straight and simple answer from JSWolf has turned into an experts' discussion I am unable to follow.
Learning to follow an expert discussion by context is half the fun of reading it. The exercise can be a bit like reading Ulysses without a skeleton key, h-m-m-?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-21-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #363
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The options for customization shown in the video gave me the impression the line spacing was adjustable. Glo owners, feel free to confirm or contradict.
The line spacing is adjustable, from the look of the GoodEreader review they have it set close to maximum.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #364
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
From Adobe...

So yes, the SDK does have the rendering engine.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/readermobile.html
This SDK was from 2011, when Adobe had yet to do its take on ePub3. From what I can tell (and I am no expert) there are three parts to this. The SDK defines what is possible and supports the features it outlines. The device manufacturers choose what features they will implement from among what is possible. The folks who code the books have to do it in a way that is recognized and properly implemented by the SDK.

Now, device manufacturers can override what the publisher has chosen, but the direction (at least from what I can tell from Kobo) is to go as hands off as possible with the CSS the publisher has chosen when we are talking about their proprietary format (Kobo ePUB3 compliant ePUB or kepub) and to use the rendering agent Adobe recently released for Adobe ePUB3 DRM. I doubt that anyone is going back and recoding already released books. I imagine that the publishing houses are all over the place in terms of how they are coding.

I'd expect it to take some time for it to all shake out. By then there will probably be yet another change in standards. The material included in the Aura promos talks about "fixed layout ePUBs". I don't know what that might be, but it could be what we think of as a reflowable PDF.

Time will tell.

Last edited by taming; 04-21-2013 at 04:14 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #365
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The line spacing is adjustable, from the look of the GoodEreader review they have it set close to maximum.
Thanks, Geoff. Based on that last nudge, I stopped eye-caressing the Aura and ordered one just now.

This will be my first lit e-ink reader and certainly my first exposure to a high-resolution e-ink screen. The only thing I'm debating at this point is whether I ought simply to have gotten a black Aura instead of the Espresso (since the color would match the black text).

To Jon:

There was indeed sales tax on my order. I'll check with my bank whenever the transaction clears to see whether there were additional fees. Ground shipping was free, as advertised.
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #366
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
All I can say is that the folks at GoodEReader just have no clue how to do a good video review.
No kidding. The review reminds me of "but this one goes to 11"

Did they not notice the horrible wide space on the kobo? And how light the font was?

Only excuse I can make for them is it looked much better to them live, but then did they not review the video before posting?

Regardless, the lighting does look very nice and even and does not tint blue.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #367
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:

Learning to follow an expert discussion by context is half the fun of reading it. The exercise can be a bit like reading Ulysses without a skeleton key, h-m-m-?
The GoodEReader review (7:20ff) says line spacing and justification are not adjustable on side-loaded books.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #368
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
The GoodEReader review (7:20ff) says line spacing and justification are not adjustable on side-loaded books.
We will see when we have it in our hands, but that would be consistent
with the Kobo device not overriding the css.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #369
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Thanks, Jozawun; I'll look into that.

The interesting thing is that, as far as I've read on this thread, Glo owners haven't indicated there were restrictions to the layouts of side-loaded books as opposed to those which are sold by Kobo.

This thread seems to go into a bit more detail.

Again: Glo owners, please feel free to confirm or dispute that this layout limitation is in fact present on the Glo.

Re the video: At 7:20, the reviewers discuss the virtual keyboard, and I didn't hear anything about layout restrictions to side-loaded books. From about 9:00-12:05, the reviewers talk extensively about layout options and, again, I didn't hear any mention of layout limitations. If this is in fact the video you're talking about, could you confirm the 7:20 point (expressed in seconds) at which you hear that side-loaded options are limited?:

http://youtu.be/pPFfw2sNQ_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
We will see when we have it in our hands, but that would be consistent
with the Kobo device not overriding the css.
Ken: The idea of disallowing the user's overriding the CSS seems odd if said "override" is actually a user choosing a preference. Is there a good reason Kobo might choose to do this only in the case of side-loaded books?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #370
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Some books don't let you change the settings, but the vast majority are fine with it on my glo
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #371
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Some books don't let you change the settings, but the vast majority are fine with it on my glo
Are the vast majority of books on your Glo also side-loaded?

If not, roughly how many of your side-loaded books can be fully customized in terms of the layout?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #372
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks, Jozawun; I'll look into that.

The interesting thing is that, as far as I've read on this thread, Glo owners haven't indicated there were restrictions to the layouts of side-loaded books as opposed to those which are sold by Kobo. That would be a first, wouldn't it?

Again: Glo owners feel free to confirm or dispute that this layout limitation is in fact present on the Glo.
don't have a glo, but even with epub, at least in all of the "old" models (Touch, Mini, Glo) it is possible to "koboify" epubs turning them into kepub.epub (there is also a plugin for that) which allows you to change e.g. line spacing - just checked on one of them. Plus have the pop up footnotes, etc
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #373
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Are the vast majority of books on your Glo also side-loaded?

If not, roughly how many of your side-loaded books can be fully customized in terms of the layout?
All my epubs are sideloaded on the Glo. All of them can be fully customised for font, line spacing, margins, etc ... However, some did need to have their internal css tweaked before transfer to achieve this. None of it is rocket science and you can get help on these forums if you need it. You do need to remove the DRM before being able to tweak the internal css.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #374
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The interesting thing is that, as far as I've read on this thread, not a single Glo owner so far has indicated there were restrictions to the layouts of side-loaded books as opposed to those which are sold by Kobo. That would be a first, wouldn't it?
All the adjustments to text layout (font style, size, weight, line spacing, left/right margins, justification) work for sideloaded epubs in general, but in some cases the way the .css stylesheet has been coded prevents the adjustments from working. These problem books can be fixed by manually tweaking the stylesheet before sideloading the book, or if you are converting books to epub from another format using Calibre then you can set the layout options in Calibre so that all the tweaking is done automatically. I think the only difference for Kobo kepub format books is that Kobo have already tweaked the ones that need it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #375
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Geoff, Jackie and Paolo:

Thanks very much for the qualification.

Stripping the DRM is not an issue at all. Modifying the CSS isn't something I've had to do so far, but it probably won't be too time-consuming if the steps are always the same. And Geoff's solution sounds like the easiest possible way (though I might prefer tweaking the CSS myself to avoid extra things being done by Calibre).

This doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem for Those Who Like to Tweak.

Knowing that, I'm reasonably satisfied. I'll try to fade into the background now and give others on this thread more room to talk.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-21-2013 at 06:02 PM.