Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Gah. let me go test that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #47
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can confirm this is not working. MEH! Why?? I was using this for something else no problems... anyways I can only apologise. for wasted time.

Alternatives:

[root@kindle root]# restart pillow
Works fine as a replacement.

or alternately the more horrid.

[root@kindle root]# lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.brow
ser 2> /dev/null; usleep 500000; lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://co
m.lab126.booklet.home 2> /dev/null

also does the job.

my sincere apologies to dsmid. : (
Head-scratching here.

Bad twobob. Bad twobob
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
twobob

maybe the powerd fiddle is the best solution then in the interim. *sad face*
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Or just give in to what works - write a text document, forget about eipc calls.

Also, that way you don't "force yourself on the user" - the user can choose to look at the document when, and if, they want to.

(Which is why I am not immediately opening my reports. This status shit isn't important enough to be slapping the user in the face with it.)

Last edited by knc1; 02-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
twobob

heh. or push to one liner via eips 2 38 "thing"

I just feel bad because I ripped that straight out of something from "before" that "worked" without testing it.

Bad twobob *sad face*
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #51
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Don't worry twobob, that's what it takes to improve things.
The only one who doesn't do anything wrong is the one who isn't doing anything at all.
I can't even count how many times I did such mistake myself
No harm done.

I went with the "restart pillow" solution. If there's anything wrong with it I'll revert to the powerd fiddle.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #52
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or just give in to what works - write a text document, forget about eipc calls.

Also, that way you don't "force yourself on the user" - the user can choose to look at the document when, and if, they want to.

(Which is why I am not immediately opening my reports. This status shit isn't important enough to be slapping the user in the face with it.)
Hey, I am not forcing anything on the user. Selecting the "Lock state" menu item is completely voluntary. I suppose when user activates "Lock state" he/she actually wants to see the results without unnecessary delay. That's how an interactive interface should work IMHO. After 10 seconds it's gone and no harm to your beloved Kindle done.

In fact there already is (from version 4) an option to save the report to a document. Everything is a matter of opinion and all users don't have the same needs.
For example I find writing the report to a document more intrusive that displaying it on the screen because I have to take an additional action to get rid of it afterwards.
Nevertheless, to satisfy your needs, version 6 has now an option not to display anything on the screen, just drop an empty file noeips to /extensions/backdoorlock/ . Be sure to create /document/backdoorlock folder in that case.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #53
dsmid
Linux devotee

Version 6
  • Problem with the screen refresh after lock state report should be fixed now on KT and KPW.
  • Creating an empty file named noeips in folder /extensions/backdoorlock/ will suppress any output to the screen.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #54
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Version 6
Problem with the screen refresh after lock state report should be fixed now on KT and KPW.
Indeed working fine on the PW.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
twobob

Updated docs to reflect your new work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=25

Last edited by twobob; 02-19-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #56
dsmid
Linux devotee

Can someone with KPW and Back Door Lock installed & active make a simple test for me, please ?
I need you to install/uninstall anything with "Update Your Kindle" and then take a look at update.log if the installation was detected by Back Door Lock.
Look for this message:
Code:
Immediate update (i.e. initiated by user), proceeding...
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #57
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Can someone with KPW and Back Door Lock installed & active make a simple test for me, please ?
I need you to install/uninstall anything with "Update Your Kindle" and then take a look at update.log if the installation was detected by Back Door Lock.
Look for this message:
Code:
Immediate update (i.e. initiated by user), proceeding...
I have the backdoorlock installed using the update bundle. I uninstalled the Screensaver hack but didn't get the message you were looking for (I assume it's supposed to pop up as a document?) Just to be sure, I also checked the backdoorlock folder under documents and didn't find anything.

When I re-installed the Screensaver hack, I still got nothing.

Not sure if I'm doing it right though?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #58
dsmid
Linux devotee

There should be a file named update.log in the backdoorlock folder.
Some information is written to it everytime a KUAL script is executed or an update attempt is detected.
Do you use Back Door Lock within KUAL ?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #59
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
No, but I could give it a try. Do I need to uninstall the update bundle first?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #60
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Do I need to uninstall the update bundle first?
No, you don't.

You can give it a try but I think that if you are not able to find update.log after installing a bundle, then Back Door Lock does not work on KPW at all
/usr/sbin/updatewait is still there but it is not called by the framework anymore... Damn.

Last edited by dsmid; 03-02-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock