Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #61
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Played with Galaxy Note in a shop recently. It's perfect for casual PC users who just want one device to make calls and do emails and browsing (like someone in my family).
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #62
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Very true...
...for one-handed devices like phones.

But tablets aren't one-handed devices, so applying phone ergonomics to tablets is really a non-sequitor. That is why we have 7-10in tablets, after all. (Way bigger and wider than phones because nobody expects them to be held in one hand.)

Casting this debate in terms of how big a phone can be misses the point of the OP which is how *small* a tablet can be and still be useful to enough people to consitutue a viable market.
Since I was replying to the person who had linked a series of images including a note being held up like a normal phone rather than the OP I did not miss the point of anything and nor was my point about phone ergonomics a non-sequitor when that was precisely what somebody was claiming about it.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #63
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
The Kyobo Mirasol ereader is essentially a 5.7" android tablet. The reason it didn't sell is because buyers had unrealistic expectations for the quality of the Mirasol screen. Other than that, I think the size is perfect and it fits comfortably in my pocket.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Why did they settle on "phablet" (phone tablet) to name devices this size? A way more cool name would be "tabone" (tablet phone) - definitely bow tie cool.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #65
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Because phablet is phabulous.

I know desired size is hugely subjective. If I carried a purse then 5.x inches might be awesome. But as a guy if I'm going to have to carry a murse then make mine at least seven inches, easy enough in the hand and big enough to do more than my phone.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would love an Android device that is not a phone that size. I had my eye on the player Monkey is talking about. I don't want to pay the price of a 7 inch tablet though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #67
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that more and more form factors are available, is it time to remove the distinction between phone and tablet? How about just include voice call functions in all form factors and we are free to choose, without having to worry whether we can make calls or not?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Call the Note class phones - gin phones (ginormous phones)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #69
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Call the Note class phones - gin phones (ginormous phones)
Let us just call all phones below 4.7" "tones" (tiny phones or toy phones)
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #70
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the rumor is true, Amazon will offer two Kindle Fire 7"

1 will be $199 and the other one will be "lower"

If a 7" kindle fire can be sold for say $179, why can't a 5.5" Kindle Fire be sold for $149?

5.5" Kindle Fire or 5.5" Google Nexus 7 for $149 won't happen this year but it might next year.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #71
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The crucial difference between your examples and something like the Galaxy Note is the width of the device and that is the true limiting factor on how large a device is comfortable for people to use and unless somebody has particularly large hands then current devices like the gsiii or the note are about the limit as far as how big they can go before they would be too uncomfortable to hold as normal phone.
how about keeping it in the pocket and using earplugs and microphone to answer calls?

That said, I don't care for any tablets so far. Smartphones are still much more practical.

The only one to grab my attention is Microsoft's Surface, though I hate the company. It seems to come with a paper like surface much like wacom's "tablets". Perfect for stylus writing and drawing rather than a glass surface. That's what I need from a tablet, not brainless media consumption.

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 09-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #72
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
how about keeping it in the pocket and using earplugs and microphone to answer calls?

That said, I don't care for any tablets so far. Smartphones are still much more practical.

The only one to grab my attention is Microsoft's Surface, though I hate the company. It seems to come with a paper like surface much like wacom's "tablets". Perfect for stylus writing and drawing rather than a glass surface. That's what I need from a tablet, not brainless media consumption.
The Note is a smartphone, and it really is no big problem holding it to your ear. All you will get is occasional questions from people interested in your device. And the Note does have a Wacom layer, of course, same as the MS surface. The only new device with 3G and voice that does.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #73
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

Just lower the price of Note to $199 and I'll be a very happy man.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #74
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Just lower the price of Note to $199 and I'll be a very happy man.
Well, just wait about 3 years and you will get today's Note 2 for that price. Not the new model, of course. They must make money on some models. They can't give them all away. Just think how you will be helping the economy!

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-04-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #75
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"That said, I don't care for any tablets so far. Smartphones are still much more practical."
Not when you are nearly 50 years old and do not have 20/20 eyesight
Try reading an entire novel on an Iphone
or a comic book or magazine or a financial report with charts or some study material you converted to.epub with caliber.

Suddenly your "smartphone" is not so smart a device.
the reason I never got a "Smart phone" was because all of those non phone call related activities were frankly ridiculous for me to undertake on a 4 inch screen.

My 7 inch kindle fire is the perfect size as it fits in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts in the summer and in the waist pocket of my winter jacket without the need to carry a tot bag/backpack as I did for years with my laptop.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote