Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Chesterton, G.K.: The Trees of Pride. v2 27 Nov 2014

This is version 2, with thanks for feedback and help from pynch

Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936), 'the prince of paradox' was an English writer and polemicist whose prolific output included philosophy, ontology, poetry, drama, journalism, public lecturing and debating, biography, Christian apologetics, fantasy, and detective fiction. His writings and conversation displayed wit and humour, while including serious comments on government, politics, economics, philosophy, theology, literature, and many other topics.

The Trees of Pride is a short story set in a small fishing village in Cornwall in which 'There are powers, there is the spirit of a place, there are presences that are not to be put by... vegetable ogres... metaphors that take us at once into dreamland [and] events buried under riddles.' On one level it is a murder mystery, and on another it deals with how we know things.

The source text was Project Gutenberg 1721-h.htm checked against the version bundled with the 1922 Cassell and Company edition of The Man Who Knew Too Much. I have silently corrected typos, curled quotes, replaced italics, used British English, and made changes to spelling, punctuation, and hyphenation using oxforddictionaries.com.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Trees of Pride, The - G.K. Chesterton.epub (163.3 KB, 404 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-26-2014 at 02:25 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
It was originally published in The Man who Knew too Much, and Other Stories, which can be found here.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
It was originally published in The Man who Knew too Much, and Other Stories, which can be found here.
Thanks so much, that's most helpful. I have the pdf, and will do some proof reading and no doubt upload version 2.

Do you know whether it was ever published as a stand alone book?

Do you know of an online detailed bibliography for Chesterton? I certainly can't find one, and the Wikipedia bibliography has gaps.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks so much, that's most helpful. I have the pdf, and will do some proof reading and no doubt upload version 2.

Do you know whether it was ever published as a stand alone book?

Do you know of an online detailed bibliography for Chesterton? I certainly can't find one, and the Wikipedia bibliography has gaps.
I doubt that it was ever published as a stand alone book, it’s too short for that. I don’t know of any online bibliography either, but if you only need the date of first publication for this story, I could look it up in my library.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
I doubt that it was ever published as a stand alone book, it’s too short for that. I don’t know of any online bibliography either, but if you only need the date of first publication for this story, I could look it up in my library.
Yes, please, if it's not too much trouble.
Advert
Old 11-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
pynch
why in?

Not at all, I can do it soon.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

version 2 is now up, with thanks for feedback and help from pynch. There are some changes to the frontmatter, and some words in the text have been italicised