Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
3.12.0 changes don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by throsu View Post
Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Firmware version: 3.12

Since last night I've noticed that my settings of a certain font type and dimension, as well as the paragraph setting doesn't produce any changes in the document (especially epub; however, for mobi files it does seem to work). I wonder what's wrong, given that there are exactly the same epub(s) that previously worked just fine in terms of these adjustments.

Thanks a lot!
Please post enough of a sample with a detailed explanation of what you've tried so we can see what might be problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
throsu
Enthusiast
throsu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five words

Device: kobo aura h2o
OK, I will explain.

In an opened epub, the selection of a higher/lower font size (or, for that matter, of the line spacing) didn't produce any change whatsoever of the actual text of the book. The same kept happening with the „justify” option (for instance, when choosing "OFF", it kept showing me the book in "Justify" mode). Curiously enough, the "margins" adjuster worked just fine (!).

However, after selecting either a different dimension of the font or of the line spacing, I kept receiving the "Updating font setting" message from the reader (in the upper part of the page), while, in fact, the page didn’t reflect the changes in any way.

Next, I have tried to „Power off” the device (currently, because of the Kobo cover, I only use the „sleep” option). After turning it on, everything was back to normal. No problem whatsoever since then.

Still, I really don’t get what could be wrong with respect to using the cover and not actually powering off the device each time I don’t use it...

Happy to solve the problem, but still a little bit confused, though...
throsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I doubt if the problem was caused by the cover. To many people are using sleep covers without reporting a problem like this.

What probably has happened is that the font engine crashed. Restarting the device restarted all the software and this worked again. Why did it happen? I don't know. It could be a book related problem, a memory leak or something else. If you look in the .kobo directory, there might be a log file from when this happened. The file name will be "stack_nn.log" where "nn" are numbers. There can be up to ten of these. These, with a description of what you were doing when they were produces and possibly the book, can help Kobo developers to work out what went wrong and fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote