Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Is there a way to preprocess a feed XML

I am writing a recipe for a newspaper that mixes up encodings in its RSS feeds. Meaning that they use two encodings in one file: iso-8859-1 and utf-8. Calibre most of the time decodes the text correctly, but not always. I would like to preprocess the feeds and recode the iso-8859-1 parts to utf-8 before processing them (I think I know which parts have which encoding).

In calibre/src/calibre/web/feeds/news.py it says in parse_feeds:

parsed_feeds.append(feed_from_xml(f.read(),

Basically I would like to process between the read() and the feed_from_xml(). I could copy-paste parse_feeds to my recipe and change that, but IMHO that violates OO principles (DRY). The other way that I can think of is monkey-patching or subclassing the browser class and/or related classes but that probably is even uglier. Is there a better way? Or can I request this as a feature?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One way to do it is to download the feeds yourself in the recipe, fix them, save them to temp files on disk and return the file:// url
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encoding, rss feed