Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #61
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
For me something like a week with two or three hours a day reading, a bit of side loading, some flipping about between publications, and a bit of word searching between charges would be perfectly fine. I'd probably want to plug it in over the weekend to top it up whether the battery meter said 60% or 5%. However, four days between full and empty and doing nothing would be a pain.
Yep, I agree. I think in the 4 day case, something wasn't quite right. Whether it was something like not being at 100% when he started, or he's uncovered a bug (maybe not going into standy correctly, or something like the DR1000 issue where it looks like it's shutdown but something got hung and is still running, etc) that needs to be narrowed down further isn't clear yet. Hopefully if he re-runs that test it'll be a little more clear what happened.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #62
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's because it's gone into standby/sleep mode (whatever you want to call it) and isn't refreshing the screen. The meter doesn't change if the screen isn't refreshed, so it's not showing you an accurate reading.
Yes, I understand that. But when I pick it back up and start reading with it after all that time, it will remain on a full charge for quite a few page turns before dropping a bar. That's likely because the battery has discharged to just above the 25% level, and some page turns gets it down to that point. It's still quite a bit better performance in power management than what is being reported here about the DR800, and I do think I remember reading on this forum a few months back that the DR800 has a larger battery than the Iliad - making it sound like Irex hasn't solved their power management issues at all, they just gave up and tossed a bigger battery in the DR800 hoping it would last longer.

All in all, from everything I've read, the Sony 505 really hit the ball out of the park with build quality. The only thing I hate about the thing is its epub support, but I solve that by just reformatting everything to a PDF of a size for the Sony's screen, and voila. The perfect reader would be a Sony 505 with the DR800 screen.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #63
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Yes, I understand that. But when I pick it back up and start reading with it after all that time, it will remain on a full charge for quite a few page turns before dropping a bar. That's likely because the battery has discharged to just above the 25% level, and some page turns gets it down to that point.
That's probably because it takes a little bit of time before the meter is reporting back to the device after it wakes up. Most of them do that.

Does your Sony show you the exact charge level as an integer, or just let you count bars. If bars, then 3/4 bars could be just about anything between 25% and 50%. How long does yours last between fully charged and fully discharged. That's the only number that will really mean anything if you want to compare between them.

Everything I've seen says the battery life of a 505 is pretty close to what some of us are seeing with the DR800.

Quote:
and I do think I remember reading on this forum a few months back that the DR800 has a larger battery than the Iliad
Yes, it does, and the iLiad got around 12 - 15 hours while my DR800 just went 14 days. The battery isn't THAT much larger. There is no APM in the iLiad, there clearly is in the DR800.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #64
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I am wondering whether Shaggy is Irex's PR personnel. I have read many of his posts and found that he has consistently defended and up talked Irex's products, especially DR800. Just wondering....
Har. After reading his stuff for the last several months, I think he must be a paid plant for IRex. Lots of companies do that sort of thing on forums like this.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Har. After reading his stuff for the last several months, I think he must be a paid plant for IRex. Lots of companies do that sort of thing on forums like this.
If you want to address things I say and discuss them, please do so. If you just want to insult me, then please don't waste your time.

Regarding the battery life, I really am interested in how long your Sony 505 will last on a full charge, from 100% to 0%. Have you checked that before? The problem with basing it off of counting bars is that's not going to be very precise. It would be better if they gave you a specific number, that's why I'm interested in the full cycle. It takes out the uncertainty of estimating based on guessing what the bars mean for a partial cycle.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #66
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
It would be a brilliant bit of customer support on the part of IREX if he was, given the amount of time he spends on here giving advice and information - not to mention engaging in the the odd tussle with the "it's illegal, it's immoral and it makes you fat" tendency

Just realized I actually have no idea of Shaggy's gender but am falling in to making assumptions - and there was me arguing the other day that the anonymity offered by the internet could be a good thing because it makes things like gender discrimination more difficult.

Last edited by TGS; 03-12-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Mea culpa - and I can't spell
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #67
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I can't help but feel that way after reading so many of his posts.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #68
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
given the amount of time he spends on here giving advice and information
The time is worth it if I can help somebody out and learn something in the process. Sounds sappy, but that really is why I'm here. Isn't that true for most of us?

Accusations like those recently made usually reflect more on the people making them than the person they're directed at.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #69
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
not to mention engaging in the the odd tussle with the "it's illegal, it's immoral and it makes you fat" tendency
Yeah, I really need to stop even reading those threads in the News section. I don't know why I keep letting myself get caught up in them, they're almost always just a waste of time.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #70
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I only brought this up after getting responds from you stating as if my experience with the reader is wrong. For instance, I mentioned that I enabled airplane mode on my reader and many times it has turned on 3G automatically. That is my experience with the reader. However, you seem to stated that it should not be the case as if my experience was not correct.

Quote:
The 3G should only run when you're telling it to connect. I would expect it to be off otherwise. I've never seen mine turn it on by itself.
You consistently disregarded other users experiences as false. After reviewing, those kind of comments; I can help but feel that way.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 03-12-2010 at 08:29 PM.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #71
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I only brought this up after getting responds from you staying as if my experience with the reader is wrong. For instance, I mentioned that I enabled airplane mode on my reader and many times it has turned on 3G automatically. That is my experience with the reader. However, you seem to stated that it should not be the case as if my experience was not correct.
That was absolutely not my intention. I believe you 100%. I'm just saying that I haven't seen mine do that, I'm certainly not trying to tell you what you saw yours do. I thought it was only supposed to use the 3G when you told it to connect, that doesn't mean I think you're imagining it.

What I'm trying to figure out is why that discrepancy, I'm not denying the discrepancy. Figuring it out may help us to understand exactly what the airplane mode does, which would tell us whether or not it can be expected to impact the battery.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-12-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #72
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
You consistently disregarded other users experiences as false.
Maybe I'm not expressing myself well then, or it's a misunderstanding of my intent. I don't believe I've disregarded other's experiences.

I'm an engineer. I try to narrow down things that are unknowns or guesses/assumptions versus facts. That's not intended to belittle anybodies opinions, it's just the way I try to clarify our collective understanding of what experiences we're all having and how that would fit into what the device is really doing under the covers.

The more information we can share and the more we can help refine each others assumptions (including my own) of how we think it works, the better we can all understand how it really does work. Many of my own assumptions have been wrong before, and that's how I learn.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-12-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #73
cmdahler
Addict

Quote:
If you want to address things I say and discuss them, please do so. If you just want to insult me, then please don't waste your time.
So wait, let me get this right, you're saying you would consider it insulting to be thought of as an employee of IRex? I find that astonishing. Personally, I would consider that an insult, but I should have thought you'd be overjoyed...

Come on, take a little ribbing...

Quote:
Regarding the battery life, I really am interested in how long your Sony 505 will last on a full charge, from 100% to 0%. Have you checked that before? The problem with basing it off of counting bars is that's not going to be very precise. It would be better if they gave you a specific number, that's why I'm interested in the full cycle. It takes out the uncertainty of estimating based on guessing what the bars mean for a partial cycle.
At some point when I'm not going to be using the thing for that long, I'll charge it up fully and do a more rigorous timed test on it. I am constantly travelling, and thus constantly using it, and it seems like it takes forever just to get one bar off the screen. I've had it down to only one bar remaining in the past, but it didn't take a noticeably shorter time to go from two bars to one bar than it did to go from full to three bars.

Regardless, I think it should be obvious to anyone following the IRex corner on MobileRead that IRex on the whole has one of the most miserable records as far as battery and power management goes in the entire e-reader industry. It appears to me to be a constant complaint along their entire product line, and it doesn't seem to be an issue they show any real capability of fixing.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #74
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Maybe I'm not expressing myself well then, or it's a misunderstanding of my intent....
You express yourself very well and directly to the point. I believe it can be difficult to grasp the tone of someone's post. Adding emoticons and sensitive wording helps to appear more amiable.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #75
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
So wait, let me get this right, you're saying you would consider it insulting to be thought of as an employee of IRex? I find that astonishing. Personally, I would consider that an insult, but I should have thought you'd be overjoyed...

Come on, take a little ribbing...

At some point when I'm not going to be using the thing for that long, I'll charge it up fully and do a more rigorous timed test on it. I am constantly travelling, and thus constantly using it, and it seems like it takes forever just to get one bar off the screen. I've had it down to only one bar remaining in the past, but it didn't take a noticeably shorter time to go from two bars to one bar than it did to go from full to three bars.

Regardless, I think it should be obvious to anyone following the IRex corner on MobileRead that IRex on the whole has one of the most miserable records as far as battery and power management goes in the entire e-reader industry. It appears to me to be a constant complaint along their entire product line, and it doesn't seem to be an issue they show any real capability of fixing.
Personally, my most miserable experience concerning lifetime of battery was with my iPhone (1st Generation). Train ride into my headquarters is 4.5 hours. It rarely did make it...
Just browsing the web and occasionally even making a phone call...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-12-2010 at 07:03 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote